External hard drive I/O Error

Hello! I have found a lot of articles sort of close to my problem, but
mine's a bit better (?) than most.

I have a 10 GB Windows partition on my internal HD and it is attached
to an 80GB external HD, where I have my iTunes songs, various games
program files and most importantly several hundred pictures, mostly of
my 20 month old son.

Last night I decided to defragment the drive, but today when I try and
access it it gives me the ol' I/O Device error. The odd bit is I can
access SOME files, but not others. Not the pictures. When I try the
USB mouse freezes also, and I have to restart using the also USB
keyboard to get the mouse to work again.

Anyone have any advice? I have restarted several times and tried safe
mode, but it was the same.

Thanks for any help!
Chris

--
SpartacusJones

Your may have corrupted some of the files on the external drive. Right click
on the external drive icon, go to properties and select check for errors.
You should see the disk check utility running after a reboot.