Windows 7 activation

Status
Not open for further replies.

steaman

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
I have a home build I was running W7 64 RC on all was fine until Autoplay update popped up. I said OK thinking it would update Autoplay but instead it downloaded W7 Ultimate. As I was expecting to have to install W7 soon anyway I went along but now it's asking for the product code and mine is for W7 home premium so it's not taking it.
Can I shut down and still keep my current configuration data etc until I can install home premium?

Solution
I suspect what's happened, is that he inserted his W7 Home Premium upgrade disk into the DVDRom, which activated autorun, when he said ok, it started the instalation. Because he was running W7 RC, which is Ultimate, that is why Ultimate upgrade was installed.
"Can I shut down and still keep my current configuration data etc until I can install home premium? "
No, at this time your only option is to reinstall from the beggining.
Backup all your files and settings to anther drive or dvd, using W& Easy Transfer Wizard.
Then either reinstall the W7 RC using the original key, or install your W7 Home Premium with the supplied key.
Be sure to select the correct version that you have a key for.

Jonmor68

Distinguished
I suspect what's happened, is that he inserted his W7 Home Premium upgrade disk into the DVDRom, which activated autorun, when he said ok, it started the instalation. Because he was running W7 RC, which is Ultimate, that is why Ultimate upgrade was installed.
"Can I shut down and still keep my current configuration data etc until I can install home premium? "
No, at this time your only option is to reinstall from the beggining.
Backup all your files and settings to anther drive or dvd, using W& Easy Transfer Wizard.
Then either reinstall the W7 RC using the original key, or install your W7 Home Premium with the supplied key.
Be sure to select the correct version that you have a key for.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.