Calibrating printer, scanner, camera and monitor?

I'd like to know that what I'm seeing is what I scanned is what will print,
etc...

Is there any way that I can calibrate my various devices so I know that they
are working correctly?

- Mustek Bearpaw 1200CU scanner
- Kodak DX4530 5MP Camera
- HP Photosmart 1115 printer (using refills)
- Epson Photo 700 printer (using clone ink)
- Dell P1110 21" monitor with Trinitron tube
- ATI Radeon 9600XT video card

I've tried calibrating my monitors brightness, contrast and gamma using some
websites. The sites seem to make sense and I am able to get my monitor
calibrated, but then most stuff looks too bright or dark... as if the gamma
curve was way off.

I don't have any calibration sheets to scan/photograph or any calibration
files to print.

Suggestions???

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 01:05:01 GMT, "Noozer" <dontspam@me.here> wrote:

>I'd like to know that what I'm seeing is what I scanned is what will print,
>etc...
>
>Is there any way that I can calibrate my various devices so I know that they
>are working correctly?
>
>- Mustek Bearpaw 1200CU scanner
>- Kodak DX4530 5MP Camera
>- HP Photosmart 1115 printer (using refills)
>- Epson Photo 700 printer (using clone ink)
>- Dell P1110 21" monitor with Trinitron tube
>- ATI Radeon 9600XT video card
>
>I've tried calibrating my monitors brightness, contrast and gamma using some
>websites. The sites seem to make sense and I am able to get my monitor
>calibrated, but then most stuff looks too bright or dark... as if the gamma
>curve was way off.
>
>I don't have any calibration sheets to scan/photograph or any calibration
>files to print.
>
>Suggestions???

Here is something to get your monitor in range. But before you do
that, load up a good profule such as adobe rgb 1998. Then you can
atleast adjust the gamma by reading this page in its entirety.

http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/Gamma.htm

grab the monitor profiles here

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=2348

that will atleast get your monitor fairly close. You may want to reset
your monitor itsself by setting everything to its default and just
work with your vid card drivers to adjust the gamma and the top listed
link above.

good luck

In article <1ZCNc.124928$od7.67611@pd7tw3no>, Noozer wrote:
> I'd like to know that what I'm seeing is what I scanned is what will print,
> etc...
>
> Is there any way that I can calibrate my various devices so I know that they
> are working correctly?
>
> - Mustek Bearpaw 1200CU scanner
> - Kodak DX4530 5MP Camera
> - HP Photosmart 1115 printer (using refills)
> - Epson Photo 700 printer (using clone ink)
> - Dell P1110 21" monitor with Trinitron tube
> - ATI Radeon 9600XT video card
>
> I've tried calibrating my monitors brightness, contrast and gamma using some
> websites. The sites seem to make sense and I am able to get my monitor
> calibrated, but then most stuff looks too bright or dark... as if the gamma
> curve was way off.
>
> I don't have any calibration sheets to scan/photograph or any calibration
> files to print.
>
> Suggestions???

Buy and IT 8 calibration target from http://www.targets.coloraid.de/
which is cheaper than the pros, and better. Use this together
with some software on www.coloriad.de to get a scanner profile. Then
adjust monitor to match target. When you are there, adjust monitor
to the tyarget you just bought, and have Photoshop control colors
on the printer.

Target is 10 Euro + 10-20 euro shipping, but he has lots of targets.

Also used some help from software to get the monitor right.

Works for me with Epson RX500 printer/scanner, Canon 300D,
Sony G420 monitor.

I have a profile I apply to scans, an adjusted monitor, so I adjust
pictures until they look good on monitor, and print the with ICM, but
with any correction disabled, and controls that in Photoshop CS in
print with preview.

--
Povl H. Pedersen - NoSpam@my.terminal.dk (yes - it works)
Get 5% discount on VMWare use discount/referral code: MRC-POVPED260