NTFS gone BAD

I went to bed last night with a happily functioning 200GB ntfs disk. I woke
up to a computer that had bounced itself during the night and would not
reboot. Being a free thinker or is that non-thinker...I went into XP Pro
Recovery app since I could not boot into safe mode or last known good
configuration. Welp I did the ol' fixboot and fixmbdr commands and think i
really screwed up.

Installed another "boot" HD today and installed windows and added the bad
drive to try to access files that way. When I open up Windows explorer, it
sows it as a healthy 10 MB FAT drive not the 200GB NTFS drive it was. It
also shows symbols instead of letters for the file names as if it's still
NTFS encrypted or something.

HAs anyone ever heard of this? Of course my backup is not recent and I
really need to recover the files. Would be easier if I simply deleted
them...

Any ideas on the best path to follow or should I start morurning the loss of
my most recent data???

TIA
Harry
15 answers Last reply
More about ntfs

    There are some pretty good data recovery programs on the market. If its not
    with the extra investment, I would reformat the "bad" drive using the
    software that came with the drive. .

    "Harry Simpson" wrote:

    > I went to bed last night with a happily functioning 200GB ntfs disk. I woke
    > up to a computer that had bounced itself during the night and would not
    > reboot. Being a free thinker or is that non-thinker...I went into XP Pro
    > Recovery app since I could not boot into safe mode or last known good
    > configuration. Welp I did the ol' fixboot and fixmbdr commands and think i
    > really screwed up.
    >
    > Installed another "boot" HD today and installed windows and added the bad
    > drive to try to access files that way. When I open up Windows explorer, it
    > sows it as a healthy 10 MB FAT drive not the 200GB NTFS drive it was. It
    > also shows symbols instead of letters for the file names as if it's still
    > NTFS encrypted or something.
    >
    > HAs anyone ever heard of this? Of course my backup is not recent and I
    > really need to recover the files. Would be easier if I simply deleted
    > them...
    >
    > Any ideas on the best path to follow or should I start morurning the loss of
    > my most recent data???
    >
    > TIA
    > Harry

    Obviously if i want the data -reformating isn't the way to go. Seems like
    some kind of meta data is hosed so the 200GB NTFS disks thinks it's a FAT
    disk of 10 Mb....

    I need to recover the data which is mis-indexed.

    Harry

    "Harry Simpson" <hss@nospammicroworksinc.com> wrote in message
    > I went to bed last night with a happily functioning 200GB ntfs disk. I
    woke
    > up to a computer that had bounced itself during the night and would not
    > reboot. Being a free thinker or is that non-thinker...I went into XP Pro
    > Recovery app since I could not boot into safe mode or last known good
    > configuration. Welp I did the ol' fixboot and fixmbdr commands and think i
    > really screwed up.
    >
    > Installed another "boot" HD today and installed windows and added the bad
    > drive to try to access files that way. When I open up Windows explorer,
    it
    > sows it as a healthy 10 MB FAT drive not the 200GB NTFS drive it was. It
    > also shows symbols instead of letters for the file names as if it's still
    > NTFS encrypted or something.
    >
    > HAs anyone ever heard of this? Of course my backup is not recent and I
    > really need to recover the files. Would be easier if I simply deleted
    > them...
    >
    > Any ideas on the best path to follow or should I start morurning the loss
    of
    > my most recent data???
    >
    > TIA
    > Harry

    Maybe the disk is still NTFS even though it believes that it's FAT.
    This is determined by one byte, which you can set yourself. Try
    this:
    1. Boot the machine with a Win98 boot disk from www.bootdisk.com.
    2. Run ptedit.exe
    (ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/tools/pq/utilities/).
    3. Check your partition type number and make a note of it.
    4. Set the partition type to NTFS (07).

    The nice thing about this process is that it's completely reversible.

    Thanks Pegasus,

    I don't have a floppy....I can access the drive now though not as a bootable
    drive. The ptedit.exe link wasn't good.

    I see where your going and think your probably correct....is there another
    utility I could apply to the drive?

    Thanks!
    Harry

    "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

    > "Harry Simpson" <hss@nospammicroworksinc.com> wrote in message
    >> I went to bed last night with a happily functioning 200GB ntfs disk. I
    > woke
    >> up to a computer that had bounced itself during the night and would not
    >> reboot. Being a free thinker or is that non-thinker...I went into XP Pro
    >> Recovery app since I could not boot into safe mode or last known good
    >> configuration. Welp I did the ol' fixboot and fixmbdr commands and think
    >> really screwed up.
    >>
    >> Installed another "boot" HD today and installed windows and added the bad
    >> drive to try to access files that way. When I open up Windows explorer,
    > it
    >> sows it as a healthy 10 MB FAT drive not the 200GB NTFS drive it was. It
    >> also shows symbols instead of letters for the file names as if it's still
    >> NTFS encrypted or something.
    >>
    >> HAs anyone ever heard of this? Of course my backup is not recent and I
    >> really need to recover the files. Would be easier if I simply deleted
    >> them...
    >>
    >> Any ideas on the best path to follow or should I start morurning the loss
    > of
    >> my most recent data???
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> Harry
    >>

    > Maybe the disk is still NTFS even though it believes that it's FAT.
    > This is determined by one byte, which you can set yourself. Try
    > this:
    > 1. Boot the machine with a Win98 boot disk from www.bootdisk.com.
    > 2. Run ptedit.exe
    > (ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/tools/pq/utilities/).
    > 3. Check your partition type number and make a note of it.
    > 4. Set the partition type to NTFS (07).
    >
    > The nice thing about this process is that it's completely reversible.

    Was looking for a way in XT Pro to set to NTFS....ran defrag just for fun
    and this is the message I got:

    Volume (F:) has a 12-bit FAT partition
    Disk Defragmenter does not support 12-bit FAT partitions. To use Disk
    Defragmenter, you must upgrade to a 16 bit FAT, FAT32, or NTFS file system.

    Wow, it's really hosed isn't it!!

    > Thanks Pegasus,
    >
    > I don't have a floppy....I can access the drive now though not as a
    > bootable drive. The ptedit.exe link wasn't good.
    >
    > I see where your going and think your probably correct....is there another
    > utility I could apply to the drive?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Harry
    >
    > "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Harry Simpson" <hss@nospammicroworksinc.com> wrote in message
    >>> I went to bed last night with a happily functioning 200GB ntfs disk. I
    >> woke
    >>> up to a computer that had bounced itself during the night and would not
    >>> reboot. Being a free thinker or is that non-thinker...I went into XP
    >>> Pro
    >>> Recovery app since I could not boot into safe mode or last known good
    >>> configuration. Welp I did the ol' fixboot and fixmbdr commands and think
    >>> really screwed up.
    >>>
    >>> Installed another "boot" HD today and installed windows and added the
    >>> bad
    >>> drive to try to access files that way. When I open up Windows explorer,
    >> it
    >>> sows it as a healthy 10 MB FAT drive not the 200GB NTFS drive it was.
    >>> It
    >>> also shows symbols instead of letters for the file names as if it's
    >>> still
    >>> NTFS encrypted or something.
    >>>
    >>> HAs anyone ever heard of this? Of course my backup is not recent and I
    >>> really need to recover the files. Would be easier if I simply deleted
    >>> them...
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas on the best path to follow or should I start morurning the
    >>> loss
    >> of
    >>> my most recent data???
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>> Harry
    >>>

    >> Maybe the disk is still NTFS even though it believes that it's FAT.
    >> This is determined by one byte, which you can set yourself. Try
    >> this:
    >> 1. Boot the machine with a Win98 boot disk from www.bootdisk.com.
    >> 2. Run ptedit.exe
    >> (ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/tools/pq/utilities/).
    >> 3. Check your partition type number and make a note of it.
    >> 4. Set the partition type to NTFS (07).
    >>
    >> The nice thing about this process is that it's completely reversible.

    The link I gave you works perfectly well.

    If you do not have a floppy disk then I suggest you buy, borrow or steal
    one.

    "Harry Simpson" <hss@nospammicroworksinc.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks Pegasus,
    >
    > I don't have a floppy....I can access the drive now though not as a
    bootable
    > drive. The ptedit.exe link wasn't good.
    >
    > I see where your going and think your probably correct....is there another
    > utility I could apply to the drive?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Harry
    >
    > "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Harry Simpson" <hss@nospammicroworksinc.com> wrote in message
    > >> I went to bed last night with a happily functioning 200GB ntfs disk. I
    > > woke
    > >> up to a computer that had bounced itself during the night and would not
    > >> reboot. Being a free thinker or is that non-thinker...I went into XP
    Pro
    > >> Recovery app since I could not boot into safe mode or last known good
    > >> configuration. Welp I did the ol' fixboot and fixmbdr commands and
    think
    > >> really screwed up.
    > >>
    > >> Installed another "boot" HD today and installed windows and added the
    bad
    > >> drive to try to access files that way. When I open up Windows
    explorer,
    > > it
    > >> sows it as a healthy 10 MB FAT drive not the 200GB NTFS drive it was.
    It
    > >> also shows symbols instead of letters for the file names as if it's
    still
    > >> NTFS encrypted or something.
    > >>
    > >> HAs anyone ever heard of this? Of course my backup is not recent and I
    > >> really need to recover the files. Would be easier if I simply deleted
    > >> them...
    > >>
    > >> Any ideas on the best path to follow or should I start morurning the
    loss
    > > of
    > >> my most recent data???
    > >>
    > >> TIA
    > >> Harry
    > >>

    > > Maybe the disk is still NTFS even though it believes that it's FAT.
    > > This is determined by one byte, which you can set yourself. Try
    > > this:
    > > 1. Boot the machine with a Win98 boot disk from www.bootdisk.com.
    > > 2. Run ptedit.exe
    > > (ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/tools/pq/utilities/).
    > > 3. Check your partition type number and make a note of it.
    > > 4. Set the partition type to NTFS (07).
    > >
    > > The nice thing about this process is that it's completely reversible.

    The link works ok for me. If you have no floppy use the program PTEDIT32
    It runs from Windows.

    > The link I gave you works perfectly well.
    >
    > If you do not have a floppy disk then I suggest you buy, borrow or steal
    > one.
    >

    > "Harry Simpson" <hss@nospammicroworksinc.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks Pegasus,
    >>
    >> I don't have a floppy....I can access the drive now though not as a
    > bootable
    >> drive. The ptedit.exe link wasn't good.
    >>
    >> I see where your going and think your probably correct....is there
    >> another
    >> utility I could apply to the drive?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >> Harry
    >>
    >> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Harry Simpson" <hss@nospammicroworksinc.com> wrote in message
    >> > woke
    > Pro
    > think

    > bad
    > explorer,
    >> > it
    > It
    > still

    > loss
    >> > of

    >> > Maybe the disk is still NTFS even though it believes that it's FAT.
    >> > This is determined by one byte, which you can set yourself. Try
    >> > this:
    >> > 1. Boot the machine with a Win98 boot disk from www.bootdisk.com.
    >> > 2. Run ptedit.exe
    >> > (ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/tools/pq/utilities/).
    >> > 3. Check your partition type number and make a note of it.
    >> > 4. Set the partition type to NTFS (07).
    >> >
    >> > The nice thing about this process is that it's completely reversible.

    Thanks Keith,

    Here are the results - though not readable Windows thinks it's a perfectly
    healthy 200GB drive but in Windows Explorer it's a 10MB drive, unreadable,
    with 3MB free....

    Here are the results of the first run of PTEDIT32.exe:

    New Drive 120MB SATA
    Drive 1(114470 MB)
    14593cyl, 255 heads,63 sectors per track
    type 07
    boot 80
    *Start*
    Cyl 0
    Head 1
    Sector 1
    *Ending*
    Cyl 1023
    Head 254
    Sector 63
    Sectors Before 63
    Sectors 234436482

    Screwed Up Drive 200MB SATA
    Drive 1(194474 MB)
    24792cyl, 255 heads,63 sectors per track
    type 07
    boot 80
    *Start*
    Cyl 0
    Head 1
    Sector 1
    *Ending*
    Cyl 1023
    Head 254
    Sector 63
    Sectors Before 63
    Sectors 398283417

    Think if I chnaged it to FAT I could see the directories??? What to do
    next...

    Thanks for all your help!!

    Harry

    "Keith S" <keith@microsoft.discussions.com> wrote in message
    > The link works ok for me. If you have no floppy use the program PTEDIT32
    > It runs from Windows.
    >
    > "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    >> The link I gave you works perfectly well.
    >>
    >> If you do not have a floppy disk then I suggest you buy, borrow or steal
    >> one.
    >>

    >> "Harry Simpson" <hss@nospammicroworksinc.com> wrote in message
    >>> Thanks Pegasus,
    >>>
    >>> I don't have a floppy....I can access the drive now though not as a
    >> bootable
    >>> drive. The ptedit.exe link wasn't good.
    >>>
    >>> I see where your going and think your probably correct....is there
    >>> another
    >>> utility I could apply to the drive?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>> Harry
    >>>
    >>> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

    >> Pro
    >> think

    >> bad
    >> explorer,
    >> It
    >> still

    >> loss

    Dear Harry Simpson,

    I experienced some sort of data loss one month ago, so I know what I'm
    talking about. Your Partition specifications seem to be correct. My advice is
    to use one Windows Service and 3 additional softwares.
    CAUTION: Never change the partition type from NTFS to FAT, a permanent data
    loss will occur!

    0- You shoul dsee if your HDD is healthy or not. I don't know your disk's
    manufacturer, but you can find some utilities in manufacturer's website in
    order to check the integrity of your Disk, for Maxtor there is PowerMAX,
    which checks the S.M.A.R.T. status of the drive and due a through scandisk
    for all sectors.

    1- Microsoft Windows Logical Disk Manager (LDM): you can access it by
    right-clicking 'My Computer' and selecting 'Manage', then 'Disk Management'
    under 'Storage' in the left Column. [this is applicable in Windows 2000, XP
    and 2003, no service available in Microsoft Winodws Me or 98, 'Disk
    Administrator' in WINdows NT 4.0]. On the right column you will see your
    partitions (on top) and your physical disk (on bottom). you can see the file
    system and other things here. Just for Verification. You can see if your
    Partitions are healthy or not if they are visible. There, you might something
    very strange, too.

    2- Symantec Partition Magic 8: this program will use its own way to
    determine partitions and disks rather than Windows Explorer. Your problem
    might just be a Windows software bug. See if there is any difference between
    Partitions in this program and Windows Explorer.
    You can download a trial version here:
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/Partition-Magic.shtml
    [you can find some other useful software here]
    CAUTION: Plaese do not extract any oprations in this program, It will result
    in a permanent data loss!

    3*- Recover My Files 3.7.4: this program is a file and partition recovery
    software. After launching a wizard helps you to find the Partition structure.
    You have to use the 'Format Recover' option. Please read Help & Documentation
    before making any changes. You can do a file Recover as well.
    http://www.getdata.com/

    4*- Active@ Undelete 5.1: This is recovery Utility, too. Select the 200GB
    physical drive and first select 'Advanced' then 'Low Level' scan to find the
    partition structure, then you can simply recover your files. You can make an
    image of your disk for testing different things without the chance of data
    loss. http://www.active-undelete.com/download.htm
    CAUTION: Never recover any files to the same Partition or disk, use another
    one.

    There is no priority between 3 & 4, either one can go first.

    To obtain these programs, you need to pay for or have the Serial Keys, just
    email me if you wanted: "behno-drop this!-ud_adelie@msn.com"

    Hope this helps, I'm waiting for any questions...

    "Harry Simpson" wrote:

    > I went to bed last night with a happily functioning 200GB ntfs disk. I woke
    > up to a computer that had bounced itself during the night and would not
    > reboot. Being a free thinker or is that non-thinker...I went into XP Pro
    > Recovery app since I could not boot into safe mode or last known good
    > configuration. Welp I did the ol' fixboot and fixmbdr commands and think i
    > really screwed up.
    >
    > Installed another "boot" HD today and installed windows and added the bad
    > drive to try to access files that way. When I open up Windows explorer, it
    > sows it as a healthy 10 MB FAT drive not the 200GB NTFS drive it was. It
    > also shows symbols instead of letters for the file names as if it's still
    > NTFS encrypted or something.
    >
    > HAs anyone ever heard of this? Of course my backup is not recent and I
    > really need to recover the files. Would be easier if I simply deleted
    > them...
    >
    > Any ideas on the best path to follow or should I start morurning the loss of
    > my most recent data???
    >
    > TIA
    > Harry

    I dunno how much work you have done on this drive, but I would download a
    program called GetDataBack for NTFS, think there is a shareware or at least
    trial version that you can try recover your data with. I have used it a few
    times and find it quite reliable if the data is recoverable. generally all
    you need is to be able to detect the drive in CMOS.

    "Harry Simpson" wrote:

    > I went to bed last night with a happily functioning 200GB ntfs disk. I woke
    > up to a computer that had bounced itself during the night and would not
    > reboot. Being a free thinker or is that non-thinker...I went into XP Pro
    > Recovery app since I could not boot into safe mode or last known good
    > configuration. Welp I did the ol' fixboot and fixmbdr commands and think i
    > really screwed up.
    >
    > Installed another "boot" HD today and installed windows and added the bad
    > drive to try to access files that way. When I open up Windows explorer, it
    > sows it as a healthy 10 MB FAT drive not the 200GB NTFS drive it was. It
    > also shows symbols instead of letters for the file names as if it's still
    > NTFS encrypted or something.
    >
    > HAs anyone ever heard of this? Of course my backup is not recent and I
    > really need to recover the files. Would be easier if I simply deleted
    > them...
    >
    > Any ideas on the best path to follow or should I start morurning the loss of
    > my most recent data???
    >
    > TIA
    > Harry

    Here are the details I found in the boot record of one of
    my own NTFS partitions:
    Jump EB5290
    OEM Name NTFS (this is important!)
    Bytes per sector 512
    Sectors per cluster 8
    Reserved sectors 0
    Number of FATs 0
    Root Dir entries 0
    Total sectors 0
    Media Descriptor F8
    etc.

    > Thanks Keith,
    >
    > Here are the results - though not readable Windows thinks it's a perfectly
    > healthy 200GB drive but in Windows Explorer it's a 10MB drive, unreadable,
    > with 3MB free....
    >
    > Here are the results of the first run of PTEDIT32.exe:

    > New Drive 120MB SATA
    > Drive 1(114470 MB)

    > 14593cyl, 255 heads,63 sectors per track
    > type 07
    > boot 80
    > *Start*
    > Cyl 0
    > Head 1
    > Sector 1
    > *Ending*
    > Cyl 1023
    > Head 254
    > Sector 63
    > Sectors Before 63
    > Sectors 234436482

    > Screwed Up Drive 200MB SATA
    > Drive 1(194474 MB)

    > 24792cyl, 255 heads,63 sectors per track
    > type 07
    > boot 80
    > *Start*
    > Cyl 0
    > Head 1
    > Sector 1
    > *Ending*
    > Cyl 1023
    > Head 254
    > Sector 63
    > Sectors Before 63
    > Sectors 398283417
    >
    > Think if I chnaged it to FAT I could see the directories??? What to do
    > next...
    >
    > Thanks for all your help!!
    >
    > Harry
    >
    > "Keith S" <keith@microsoft.discussions.com> wrote in message
    > > The link works ok for me. If you have no floppy use the program PTEDIT32
    > > It runs from Windows.
    > >
    > > "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    > >> The link I gave you works perfectly well.
    > >>
    > >> If you do not have a floppy disk then I suggest you buy, borrow or
    steal
    > >> one.
    > >>

    > >> "Harry Simpson" <hss@nospammicroworksinc.com> wrote in message

    > >> bootable

    XP
    > >> Pro
    > >> think

    > >> bad
    > >> explorer,
    > >> It
    > >> still

    > >> loss

    (ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/tools/pq/utilities/).

    Harry, You might try the same URL as for PTEDIT32 but download and run
    PartInNT.exe
    PTEDIT32 doesnt tell us much

    > Here are the details I found in the boot record of one of
    > my own NTFS partitions:
    > Jump EB5290
    > OEM Name NTFS (this is important!)
    > Bytes per sector 512
    > Sectors per cluster 8
    > Reserved sectors 0
    > Number of FATs 0
    > Root Dir entries 0
    > Total sectors 0
    > Media Descriptor F8
    > etc.
    >
    > "Harry Simpson" <hss@nospammicroworksinc.com> wrote in message
    >> > "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

    > steal

    > disk.
    > XP
    > good

    > the
    > was.

    > and

    > the

    > (ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/tools/pq/utilities/).

    > reversible.

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Dear Keith S, Harry Simpson

    Please take CAUTION when using PTEDIT32.EXE or PartInNT.EXE, by a very
    simple mistake they will overwrite the bootsector, partition tables and MBR,
    so this will make you recovery process so hard, that you should give your
    HDD to a recovery center. Please, read those 5 processes I wrote In my first
    reply. use
    http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware&p=1&tid=d7902081-1fbc-4f67-91ee-855f3ea3364b&mid=66c7f351-2ea4-4fc7-a1c8-bc55fe84ae23
    to find my reply at the end of the page, if you haven't read it before.

    BTW, let me explain a bit more about Harry's Disk Drive:
    For the results of PTEDIT32.EXE for your 200GB HDD
    First line is obvious, second line describes type 07 which means NTFS, third
    line boot 80 which means this is a bootable partition. *start* refers to your
    partitions start point and *ending* to end partition marker. The first 64
    sectors are the most important ones in this case. Sectors 0 to 63 describe
    the partition table and some other data. If there woudl be any errors in
    these sectors your partitions won't show up. So, I think there is nothing
    wrong with your results from PTEDIT32.EXE and because it is showing up as a
    10MB FAT-12 partition there is a problem just behind the sector 63 that might
    not be a major problem, and that is just Windows Explorer which thinks you
    got a FAT-12 partition [and the limit for a FAT-12 partition is nearly 10MB].
    If you try those software I've told you before you will probably see that
    they report your partition as BAD or just HEALTHY with no problem at all.
    There might be a very small problem in your partition descriptors which lead
    into such a harsh case.

    I'd be very glad to do anything in Help!
    Behnoud

    "Keith S" wrote:

    > Harry, You might try the same URL as for PTEDIT32 but download and run
    > PartInNT.exe
    > PTEDIT32 doesnt tell us much
    >
    > "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    > > Here are the details I found in the boot record of one of
    > > my own NTFS partitions:
    > > Jump EB5290
    > > OEM Name NTFS (this is important!)
    > > Bytes per sector 512
    > > Sectors per cluster 8
    > > Reserved sectors 0
    > > Number of FATs 0
    > > Root Dir entries 0
    > > Total sectors 0
    > > Media Descriptor F8
    > > etc.
    > >
    > > "Harry Simpson" <hss@nospammicroworksinc.com> wrote in message

    > > steal

    > > disk.
    > > XP
    > > good

    > > the
    > > was.

    > > and

    > > the

    > > (ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/tools/pq/utilities/).

    > > reversible.

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Thanks to all -
    The disk is now a fresh 200 GB NTFS disk. Just wonder how the disk went
    from happy NTFS to non-bootable over night......any ideas on what caused it?
    The power did not go out that I know of.

    The box was just in an endless loop with a short blue screen on
    bootup...before rebooting automatically..

    Thanks for all your help - I tried a lot of different apps but none
    worked.....I read about the GetBackData only after my reformat...

    Now, what's the best backup solution for backing up data in XP Pro? Think
    i'll start religiously!!

    Thanks
    Harry

    "Guijnr" <Guijnr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I dunno how much work you have done on this drive, but I would download a
    > program called GetDataBack for NTFS, think there is a shareware or at
    > least
    > trial version that you can try recover your data with. I have used it a
    > few
    > times and find it quite reliable if the data is recoverable. generally
    > all
    > you need is to be able to detect the drive in CMOS.
    >
    > "Harry Simpson" wrote:
    >
    >> I went to bed last night with a happily functioning 200GB ntfs disk. I
    >> woke
    >> up to a computer that had bounced itself during the night and would not
    >> reboot. Being a free thinker or is that non-thinker...I went into XP Pro
    >> Recovery app since I could not boot into safe mode or last known good
    >> configuration. Welp I did the ol' fixboot and fixmbdr commands and think
    >> really screwed up.
    >>
    >> Installed another "boot" HD today and installed windows and added the bad
    >> drive to try to access files that way. When I open up Windows explorer,
    >> it
    >> sows it as a healthy 10 MB FAT drive not the 200GB NTFS drive it was. It
    >> also shows symbols instead of letters for the file names as if it's still
    >> NTFS encrypted or something.
    >>
    >> HAs anyone ever heard of this? Of course my backup is not recent and I
    >> really need to recover the files. Would be easier if I simply deleted
    >> them...
    >>
    >> Any ideas on the best path to follow or should I start morurning the loss
    >> of
    >> my most recent data???
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> Harry

  15. RE: I dunno how much work you have done on this drive, but I would download a program called GetDataBack for NTFS, think there is a shareware or at least
    > trial version that you can try recover your data with. I have used it a > few > times and find it quite reliable if the data is recoverable.

    ---------I like this program too, just finished using it for my 250GB hard drive. I was in the middle of updating Nero's Antivirus Scanner inside Nero Burn and my screen went blue screen, then a few more, and windows says it is a RAW drive now not NTFS.

    After searching around, and trying a few that could not keep the data the same name after copying, I came across GetDataBack for NTFS (or FAT), and it works like a charm. I can see everything on my drive just about (and for the messed up parts, you can do a search like *report*.*, but make sure you have selected the top part of the tree, ie, C: drive (or in my case, NTFS, anyways, the top part of the drive, or it will only search whichever folder you might be exploring, which you can miss finding things if you are not careful.

    Anyway, the pluses are that you can see your drive like your looking at it from under Windows Explorer, and you can copy anything to your new drive you want (after 90 minutes or so, when its thru analyzing your drive). LOL, the other so-called recovery programs would not let me copy without changing their names, and this program is nice, because everything you copy is kept the same as before.

    I just wish I knew if their was a way to fix the bad partition. My sector doesn't start at 63, its more like 1017, and I noticed after using Partition Magic (and recovery programs) that this drive has 2 partitions or something (not suppose to), or free space before the partition, I think I used Partition Magic incorrectly when I copied/upgraded to this bigger drive.

    Anyway of actually fixing partition troubles?

NTFS Windows XP