fitting cooler to AMD64 3500+

Hi,

In a previous post I mentioned that I was having temps of 53C - 59C using
Asus probe utility (A8Vm/b).

I have misplaced the installation sheet that came with the retail packaging
of the CPU. Does it make any difference on what side the cam locking lever
is on when installed on the motherboard. Obviously it has to be engaged
with one of the lugs on the retention frame, which is done in my case.
However, I have the cam locking lever on the side of the heatsink facing the
edge of the motherboard. I can see that I could reverse it around, so that
the cam lever is facing the center of the motherboard. Anyone recall how
the stock heatsink & fan for their 3500+ is orientated on their Asus A8V?

Thanks,
Shane

Sorry to bother again, but whist on the subject of fitting the heatsink &
fan, I am going to reinstall the heatsink again but do not have the thermal
tape that was originally on the heatsink. If I clean it up of the heatsink
and CPU, would Arctic Silver be OK? The AMD website does not seem to
encourage paste for long term use.

Thanks again,
Shane
"no spam" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> In a previous post I mentioned that I was having temps of 53C - 59C using
> Asus probe utility (A8Vm/b).
>
> I have misplaced the installation sheet that came with the retail
> packaging of the CPU. Does it make any difference on what side the cam
> locking lever is on when installed on the motherboard. Obviously it has
> to be engaged with one of the lugs on the retention frame, which is done
> in my case. However, I have the cam locking lever on the side of the
> heatsink facing the edge of the motherboard. I can see that I could
> reverse it around, so that the cam lever is facing the center of the
> motherboard. Anyone recall how the stock heatsink & fan for their 3500+
> is orientated on their Asus A8V?
>
> Thanks,
> Shane

Ed

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 01:47:03 +1000, "no spam" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Sorry to bother again, but whist on the subject of fitting the heatsink &
>fan, I am going to reinstall the heatsink again but do not have the thermal
>tape that was originally on the heatsink. If I clean it up of the heatsink
>and CPU, would Arctic Silver be OK? The AMD website does not seem to
>encourage paste for long term use.
>
>Thanks again,
>Shane

The Athlon 64 stock heatsink uses a grease not a pad, AMD recommended
pads for the XP.

I have 2 AMD 64s using Artic silver and 2 running AMD stock, there's no
difference.
Ed

bill

In article <rir8m0pbjpdsr02o8b896cs1d38mut3jk2@4ax.com>,
nomail@hotmail.com says...
> On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 01:47:03 +1000, "no spam" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Sorry to bother again, but whist on the subject of fitting the heatsink &
> >fan, I am going to reinstall the heatsink again but do not have the thermal
> >tape that was originally on the heatsink. If I clean it up of the heatsink
> >and CPU, would Arctic Silver be OK? The AMD website does not seem to
> >encourage paste for long term use.
> >
> >Thanks again,
> >Shane
>
> The Athlon 64 stock heatsink uses a grease not a pad, AMD recommended
> pads for the XP.
>
> I have 2 AMD 64s using Artic silver and 2 running AMD stock, there's no
> difference.
> Ed

Ya, there is. The HSF's on the Artic Silver are easier to remove than
the stock AMD stuff. It's tenacious! There wasn't any difference in
the temps between the two, though.

Bill