Can't format DVD's with DVDForm utility ("Unsupported disc")

I have an LG DVD Multi Recorder and installed the DVD-RAM Driver software
that came with it. Now, when I try to format DVD's (or CD's for that
matter...) with DVDForm I get the following text in the Drive field: "<E:>
Unsupported disc".
The DVD- or CD-discs are all writable/rewritable discs. However reading
DVD's works perfectly well. In the same PC I also have a "HP CD-Writer 9100
series" that works too, i.e. can write to CD's.
Could somebody please help me with this problem?

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'm not familiar with the DVD you have (or DVDform) but I guess it will only
work with a DVDRAM disk, is that what you are using. Otherwise why are you
trying to "format" the disks is it to use them effectively as a drive and
write many times before finalising the disk.

Neil
"DannyBoyAtHome" <DannyBoyAtHome@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an LG DVD Multi Recorder and installed the DVD-RAM Driver software
> that came with it. Now, when I try to format DVD's (or CD's for that
> matter...) with DVDForm I get the following text in the Drive field: "<E:>
> Unsupported disc".
> The DVD- or CD-discs are all writable/rewritable discs. However reading
> DVD's works perfectly well. In the same PC I also have a "HP CD-Writer
> 9100
> series" that works too, i.e. can write to CD's.
> Could somebody please help me with this problem?

Sorry, I'm a novice on this issues (burning DVD's). I don't even know what a
DVDRAM disk is. But anyway - as I wrote - all the DVD's and CD's I have tried
are writable or rewritable. I Just followed the instructions for the software
that came with the DVD recorder. Among other things it says that you "always
have to format the DVD disk before you write to it" (just like floppy disks
in the "good old times"...). Perhaps I understood something wrong. Perhaps
the instructions were meant only for formatting DVD-RAM disks (the software
was called "DVD-RAM Driver software")...

So, if I interpreted your answer correctly, you normally don't have to
format DVD's, right? And don't worry about my DVD recorder. It is quite new
and should support all "normal" disk types.

Danny

"neil" wrote:

> I'm not familiar with the DVD you have (or DVDform) but I guess it will only
> work with a DVDRAM disk, is that what you are using. Otherwise why are you
> trying to "format" the disks is it to use them effectively as a drive and
> write many times before finalising the disk.
>
> Neil
> "DannyBoyAtHome" <DannyBoyAtHome@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have an LG DVD Multi Recorder and installed the DVD-RAM Driver software
> > that came with it. Now, when I try to format DVD's (or CD's for that
> > matter...) with DVDForm I get the following text in the Drive field: "<E:>
> > Unsupported disc".
> > The DVD- or CD-discs are all writable/rewritable discs. However reading
> > DVD's works perfectly well. In the same PC I also have a "HP CD-Writer
> > 9100
> > series" that works too, i.e. can write to CD's.
> > Could somebody please help me with this problem?

Well, now it seems to work just fine! Now when I have understood that I don't
have to format DVD's I just figured out (by "trial and error"...) how to use
my new Nero burning software. I have now just burned my very first DVD!
Thanks Neil anyway for your concern! Case closed.