Athlon64 3000 -- Thermal pad or thermal compound?

Hi, I'm new to building systems, and am thinking about eventually
overclocking this thing I'm putting together right now.. but I need a
hint from those who know.

I'm finding conflicting information about whether one is better off
using thermal compound or thermal pad with an Athlon64 3000. I have a
ThermalTake TR2-M6 heatsink that I was planning to use with it, and it
has a thermal pad already on. The other alternative is some Arctic
Silver 5, 3.5 grams of which I also have.

Some people seem to be staunch with the whole "compound is only for
testing CPUs, thermal pad is the permanent way to go" thing, yet
others say that you can't go wrong with AS 5. Let's not talk
overclocking for now, but just in general--should I mount the heatsink
and just go, or should I scrape off the thermal pad and apply AS 5 to
the CPU?

Suggestions appreciated!
3 answers Last reply
More about athlon64 3000 thermal thermal compound

    On 7 Oct 2004 21:03:30 -0700, murzun@yahoo.com (Leon) wrote:

    >Hi, I'm new to building systems, and am thinking about eventually
    >overclocking this thing I'm putting together right now.. but I need a
    >hint from those who know.

    >I'm finding conflicting information about whether one is better off
    >using thermal compound or thermal pad with an Athlon64 3000. I have a
    >ThermalTake TR2-M6 heatsink that I was planning to use with it, and it
    >has a thermal pad already on. The other alternative is some Arctic
    >Silver 5, 3.5 grams of which I also have.

    >Some people seem to be staunch with the whole "compound is only for
    >testing CPUs, thermal pad is the permanent way to go" thing, yet
    >others say that you can't go wrong with AS 5. Let's not talk
    >overclocking for now, but just in general--should I mount the heatsink
    >and just go, or should I scrape off the thermal pad and apply AS 5 to
    >the CPU?

    >Suggestions appreciated!

    AS and all of the other [ grease types ] are overpriced hype. There
    are as many different opinions on this as there are fleas on a dogs
    back.

    My rule . . . if your not an overclocker, and are not going to be
    changing heatsinks regularly, use the supplied TIM.

    BoroLad

    borolad@myowseintheboro.org wrote:
    > On 7 Oct 2004 21:03:30 -0700, murzun@yahoo.com (Leon) wrote:
    >

    >>Hi, I'm new to building systems, and am thinking about eventually
    >>overclocking this thing I'm putting together right now.. but I need a
    >>hint from those who know.
    >

    >>I'm finding conflicting information about whether one is better off
    >>using thermal compound or thermal pad with an Athlon64 3000. I have a
    >>ThermalTake TR2-M6 heatsink that I was planning to use with it, and it
    >>has a thermal pad already on. The other alternative is some Arctic
    >>Silver 5, 3.5 grams of which I also have.
    >

    >>Some people seem to be staunch with the whole "compound is only for
    >>testing CPUs, thermal pad is the permanent way to go" thing, yet
    >>others say that you can't go wrong with AS 5. Let's not talk
    >>overclocking for now, but just in general--should I mount the heatsink
    >>and just go, or should I scrape off the thermal pad and apply AS 5 to
    >>the CPU?
    I used the pad on my Athlon64 and when i tried removing the HSF is was
    stuck on the cpu. Took a lot of prying to get it off and the pins just
    popped from the socket while it was still locked. Luckily no damage was
    done.

    Just from the 'gluing' properties of the pad, its a bad idea. Don't try
    it if you ever intend to remove the HSF.

    borolad@myowseintheboro.org wrote:

    > On 7 Oct 2004 21:03:30 -0700, murzun@yahoo.com (Leon) wrote:
    >

    >>Hi, I'm new to building systems, and am thinking about eventually
    >>overclocking this thing I'm putting together right now.. but I need a
    >>hint from those who know.
    >

    >>I'm finding conflicting information about whether one is better off
    >>using thermal compound or thermal pad with an Athlon64 3000. I have a
    >>ThermalTake TR2-M6 heatsink that I was planning to use with it, and it
    >>has a thermal pad already on. The other alternative is some Arctic
    >>Silver 5, 3.5 grams of which I also have.
    >

    >>Some people seem to be staunch with the whole "compound is only for
    >>testing CPUs, thermal pad is the permanent way to go" thing, yet
    >>others say that you can't go wrong with AS 5. Let's not talk
    >>overclocking for now, but just in general--should I mount the heatsink
    >>and just go, or should I scrape off the thermal pad and apply AS 5 to
    >>the CPU?
    >

    >>Suggestions appreciated!
    >

    > AS and all of the other [ grease types ] are overpriced hype. There
    > are as many different opinions on this as there are fleas on a dogs
    > back.
    >
    > My rule . . . if your not an overclocker, and are not going to be
    > changing heatsinks regularly, use the supplied TIM.
    >
    > BoroLad
    Be careful when you do want to change heatsink though. When I changed it
    on my Athlon64 2800+ it ripped the CPU out of its socket:-) No broken
    pins luckily... I will NEVER use Thermal pads again that's for sure.

AMD Overclocking Thermal Compound Product