CD-Rom won't read from 80 min/700 MB CDs

August 28, 2005 6:17:01 PM

I have a CD-Rom and CD-R Burner on my Windows XP Pro (SP2) machine. The CD
burner will burn data to a 70 min/800 MB CD (and that CD can be read with no
problems on other computers), but neither the CD-Rom nor the CD burner will
read any 80 min/700 MB CD, even the ones it burned itself. The CD Burner is a
Mitsumi CR-4804TE drive, using driver version 5.1.2535.0 (7/1/01), the latest
update I can find. Mitsumi has more recent updates, but they do not list
WinXP as one of the OS.

Not sure of the make of the CD-Rom, WinXp lists it as HL-DT-ST CD-Rom
GCR-8483B (same driver as the CD Burner).

Is there a general WinXP patch that will enable me to read these CDs? Will
the Mitsumi driver work on WinXP Pro (I assume not)?

I can't find the old 74 min/650 MB blank CDs at local stores any more. I'd
be happy if I could get either of the drives to read the CDs, I don't care
which.

Thanx.

More about : rom read min 700 cds

Anonymous
August 29, 2005 12:11:34 AM

HL-DT-ST seems to indicate a LG CD-ROM. You should check on www.rpc1.org to
see if there is a firmware that may fix your read problem.

"buserian" <buserian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a CD-Rom and CD-R Burner on my Windows XP Pro (SP2) machine. The CD
> burner will burn data to a 70 min/800 MB CD (and that CD can be read with
> no
> problems on other computers), but neither the CD-Rom nor the CD burner
> will
> read any 80 min/700 MB CD, even the ones it burned itself. The CD Burner
> is a
> Mitsumi CR-4804TE drive, using driver version 5.1.2535.0 (7/1/01), the
> latest
> update I can find. Mitsumi has more recent updates, but they do not list
> WinXP as one of the OS.
>
> Not sure of the make of the CD-Rom, WinXp lists it as HL-DT-ST CD-Rom
> GCR-8483B (same driver as the CD Burner).
>
> Is there a general WinXP patch that will enable me to read these CDs? Will
> the Mitsumi driver work on WinXP Pro (I assume not)?
>
> I can't find the old 74 min/650 MB blank CDs at local stores any more. I'd
> be happy if I could get either of the drives to read the CDs, I don't care
> which.
>
> Thanx.
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 5:51:03 AM

I just checked there, thanks. But, the only driver I found there (it
downloads from Dell's website) is for WinNT, Win2000, and other OS's, but not
WinXP. As such, I am very leary of updating to it.

"Yves Leclerc" wrote:

> HL-DT-ST seems to indicate a LG CD-ROM. You should check on www.rpc1.org to
> see if there is a firmware that may fix your read problem.
>

> "buserian" <buserian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a CD-Rom and CD-R Burner on my Windows XP Pro (SP2) machine. The CD
> > burner will burn data to a 70 min/800 MB CD (and that CD can be read with
> > no
> > problems on other computers), but neither the CD-Rom nor the CD burner
> > will
> > read any 80 min/700 MB CD, even the ones it burned itself. The CD Burner
> > is a
> > Mitsumi CR-4804TE drive, using driver version 5.1.2535.0 (7/1/01), the
> > latest
> > update I can find. Mitsumi has more recent updates, but they do not list
> > WinXP as one of the OS.
> >
> > Not sure of the make of the CD-Rom, WinXp lists it as HL-DT-ST CD-Rom
> > GCR-8483B (same driver as the CD Burner).
> >
> > Is there a general WinXP patch that will enable me to read these CDs? Will
> > the Mitsumi driver work on WinXP Pro (I assume not)?
> >
> > I can't find the old 74 min/650 MB blank CDs at local stores any more. I'd
> > be happy if I could get either of the drives to read the CDs, I don't care
> > which.
> >
> > Thanx.

August 29, 2005 3:49:38 PM

There are no drivers! You need to look at firmware updates. Firmwares are
independant of the OS. If you have any questions, join the forums (free).

>I just checked there, thanks. But, the only driver I found there (it
> downloads from Dell's website) is for WinNT, Win2000, and other OS's, but
> not
> WinXP. As such, I am very leary of updating to it.
>
> "Yves Leclerc" wrote:
>
>> HL-DT-ST seems to indicate a LG CD-ROM. You should check on www.rpc1.org
>> see if there is a firmware that may fix your read problem.
>>

>> "buserian" <buserian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a CD-Rom and CD-R Burner on my Windows XP Pro (SP2) machine. The
>> >CD
>> > burner will burn data to a 70 min/800 MB CD (and that CD can be read
>> > with
>> > no
>> > problems on other computers), but neither the CD-Rom nor the CD burner
>> > will
>> > read any 80 min/700 MB CD, even the ones it burned itself. The CD
>> > Burner
>> > is a
>> > Mitsumi CR-4804TE drive, using driver version 5.1.2535.0 (7/1/01), the
>> > latest
>> > update I can find. Mitsumi has more recent updates, but they do not
>> > list
>> > WinXP as one of the OS.
>> >
>> > Not sure of the make of the CD-Rom, WinXp lists it as HL-DT-ST CD-Rom
>> > GCR-8483B (same driver as the CD Burner).
>> >
>> > Is there a general WinXP patch that will enable me to read these CDs?
>> > Will
>> > the Mitsumi driver work on WinXP Pro (I assume not)?
>> >
>> > I can't find the old 74 min/650 MB blank CDs at local stores any more.
>> > I'd
>> > be happy if I could get either of the drives to read the CDs, I don't
>> > care
>> > which.
>> >
>> > Thanx.

Anonymous
August 29, 2005 8:40:03 PM

Thanks Yves, but I am still a little confused. The Mitsumi webpage
(http://www.mitsumi.com/indexusa.html, on the Firmware Update page) indicates
that the firmware update is for Win95,98,Me,NT4.0 and 2000; it doesn't list
WinXP. Is this just because the page was probably made before WinXP was
released? If so, then this should take care of things. I am just pretty
cautious when it comes to my computer; I've crashed things hard in the past
doing stupid things. :)

!