Hi everyone
I hope someone can help me, I am fairly new to computers.
I have a 2 month old computer. HP Pavillion running WINXP with DVD burner
and a CD Drive.

I have had it in to the store for repairs (STAPLES) twice now. I will have
to take it in again.
Problem is I will be using it fine and then walk away and when I come back
later the screen goes to black with the words Reboot and select proper boot
media.
So i do that and nothing works I cannot get into windows. I will try this
on and off during the day and then will sometimes get to the screen where it
shows a bunch of messages including Master Boot Record Error. One time it
said backup your files hard drive failure imminent.

The thing is the last time I took it in for repair on this problem (last
week) the tech said it started up fine but he saw spyware on it when he did
a scan. So he sold me Spysweeper and charged for installation ($68.00)
Said the problem was spyware. There was already a spyware program on my
computer preinstalled plus Norton Security with all the bells and whistles.
Like I said this is a brand new computer.

So I get this supposedly fixed computer home yesterday and start it up no
problem. But later in the day it went to that boot screen again. (same
problem)

So now I am using my old WINME computer to talk to you guys.

Question is what is going on and how do I resolve this issue.

Should I take it back for repair. Should I ask for a brand new one?

Also if they exchange my computer, what about all my documents and photos
that are on my computer, I have backups but I don't want to leave them with
my personal info.

Sorry this is so long but I don't know what to do and I am so frustrated.
Thanks in advance.
I will await your replies anxiously.

"Ninip" <gwen6039@home.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone
> I hope someone can help me, I am fairly new to computers.
> I have a 2 month old computer. HP Pavillion running WINXP with DVD burner
> and a CD Drive.
>
> I have had it in to the store for repairs (STAPLES) twice now. I will
> have
> to take it in again.
> Problem is I will be using it fine and then walk away and when I come back
> later the screen goes to black with the words Reboot and select proper
> boot
> media.
> So i do that and nothing works I cannot get into windows. I will try this
> on and off during the day and then will sometimes get to the screen where
> it
> shows a bunch of messages including Master Boot Record Error. One time it
> said backup your files hard drive failure imminent.
>
> The thing is the last time I took it in for repair on this problem (last
> week) the tech said it started up fine but he saw spyware on it when he
> did
> a scan. So he sold me Spysweeper and charged for installation ($68.00)
> Said the problem was spyware. There was already a spyware program on my
> computer preinstalled plus Norton Security with all the bells and
> whistles.
> Like I said this is a brand new computer.
>
> So I get this supposedly fixed computer home yesterday and start it up no
> problem. But later in the day it went to that boot screen again. (same
> problem)
>
> So now I am using my old WINME computer to talk to you guys.
>
> Question is what is going on and how do I resolve this issue.
>
> Should I take it back for repair. Should I ask for a brand new one?
>
> Also if they exchange my computer, what about all my documents and photos
> that are on my computer, I have backups but I don't want to leave them
> with
> my personal info.
>
> Sorry this is so long but I don't know what to do and I am so frustrated.
> Thanks in advance.
> I will await your replies anxiously.

Backup your data and ask them to exchange the computer for a new one. It is
a hardware problem. It sounds like either a failing hard drive or an
overheating problem. If Staples won't help contact HP directly. Whomever you
are talking to be polite but insist you speak with a supervisor or manager.

Kerry

Hi Ninip,

There seems to be a Major Hard Disk Drive Failure. Do NOT try to log on to
or EVEN start your computer or to reformat your disk and istall a new copy of
WIN XP. as it says "A Hard Disk Drive Failure is Imminent", which means,
you're will experience a severe and unrecoverable hard disk damage in near
future!!!

You can contact HP and ask to talk to a supervisor at suppory center, tell
them you have bought a brand new computer with a faulty Hard Disk Drive. Ask
them to replace and copying your data to new hard drive, I don't know if they
do this or not. AND they will secure erase your old hard disk, so don't worry
about the data in it.

Behnoud

"Ninip" wrote:

> Hi everyone
> I hope someone can help me, I am fairly new to computers.
> I have a 2 month old computer. HP Pavillion running WINXP with DVD burner
> and a CD Drive.
>
> I have had it in to the store for repairs (STAPLES) twice now. I will have
> to take it in again.
> Problem is I will be using it fine and then walk away and when I come back
> later the screen goes to black with the words Reboot and select proper boot
> media.
> So i do that and nothing works I cannot get into windows. I will try this
> on and off during the day and then will sometimes get to the screen where it
> shows a bunch of messages including Master Boot Record Error. One time it
> said backup your files hard drive failure imminent.
>
> The thing is the last time I took it in for repair on this problem (last
> week) the tech said it started up fine but he saw spyware on it when he did
> a scan. So he sold me Spysweeper and charged for installation ($68.00)
> Said the problem was spyware. There was already a spyware program on my
> computer preinstalled plus Norton Security with all the bells and whistles.
> Like I said this is a brand new computer.
>
> So I get this supposedly fixed computer home yesterday and start it up no
> problem. But later in the day it went to that boot screen again. (same
> problem)
>
> So now I am using my old WINME computer to talk to you guys.
>
> Question is what is going on and how do I resolve this issue.
>
> Should I take it back for repair. Should I ask for a brand new one?
>
> Also if they exchange my computer, what about all my documents and photos
> that are on my computer, I have backups but I don't want to leave them with
> my personal info.
>
> Sorry this is so long but I don't know what to do and I am so frustrated.
> Thanks in advance.
> I will await your replies anxiously.

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> Hi everyone
> I hope someone can help me, I am fairly new to computers.
> I have a 2 month old computer. HP Pavillion running WINXP
> with DVD burner
> and a CD Drive.
>
> I have had it in to the store for repairs (STAPLES) twice now.
> I will have
> to take it in again.
> Problem is I will be using it fine and then walk away and when
> I come back
> later the screen goes to black with the words Reboot and
> select proper boot
> media.
> So i do that and nothing works I cannot get into windows. I
> will try this
> on and off during the day and then will sometimes get to the
> screen where it
> shows a bunch of messages including Master Boot Record Error.
> One time it
> said backup your files hard drive failure imminent.
>
> The thing is the last time I took it in for repair on this
> problem (last
> week) the tech said it started up fine but he saw spyware on
> it when he did
> a scan. So he sold me Spysweeper and charged for installation
> ($68.00)
> Said the problem was spyware. There was already a spyware
> program on my
> computer preinstalled plus Norton Security with all the bells
> and whistles.
> Like I said this is a brand new computer.
>
> So I get this supposedly fixed computer home yesterday and
> start it up no
> problem. But later in the day it went to that boot screen
> again. (same
> problem)
>
> So now I am using my old WINME computer to talk to you guys.
>
> Question is what is going on and how do I resolve this issue.
>
> Should I take it back for repair. Should I ask for a brand
> new one?
>
> Also if they exchange my computer, what about all my documents
> and photos
> that are on my computer, I have backups but I don't want to
> leave them with
> my personal info.
>
> Sorry this is so long but I don't know what to do and I am so
> frustrated.
> Thanks in advance.
> I will await your replies anxiously.

Such iratic behavior is most likly caused by a virus or hardware
failur, you should do virus scans (if you dont have one use AntiVir).
If nothing is found, i would suspect hardware problems.

AntiVir: http://www.free-av.com/

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-frustration-computer-ftopict414839.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1382144

Hi
I cannot backup my data because I cannot log in to my computer.
It only gets to the black screen that says reboot and select proper boot
media.
If I do manage to get to the boot screen (which I have occasionally it only
gives me my cd drives.
Thanks

> Hi
> I cannot backup my data because I cannot log in to my computer.
> It only gets to the black screen that says reboot and select proper boot
> media.
> If I do manage to get to the boot screen (which I have occasionally it
> only
> gives me my cd drives.
> Thanks

If you do not already have backups then you are probably out of luck. It
sounds like the hard drive has failed. A competent shop may be able to get
some data off it. A data recovery service could for sure but that route can
cost $1,000's.

Kerry

In article <y5HQe.330277$5V4.205310@pd7tw3no>, gwen6039@home.com says...
> Hi
> I cannot backup my data because I cannot log in to my computer.
> It only gets to the black screen that says reboot and select proper boot
> media.
> If I do manage to get to the boot screen (which I have occasionally it only
> gives me my cd drives.

Well, unless you reinstall (doing a repair/reinstall) you may not be
able to get to them in order to make a backup.

First things first, you've got to get a secure connection to the
Internet and then you can start fixing this.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Hi,

.......what about all my documents and photos

If your box came with a recovery CD, run it and turn your hard drive
back into what it was the day you brought it home. A lot of boxes come
with a CD that will format and reinstall everything to "as-new" condition.

---==X={}=X==---

Jim Self
AVIATION ANIMATION, the internet's largest depository.
http://avanimation.avsupport.com

Your only internet source for spiral staircase plans.
http://jself.com/stair/Stair.htm

Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA)
Technical Counselor

Hi again,

........I cannot backup my data because I cannot log in to my computer.

Take the hard drive out and put it in another box as a slave and see if
you can grab things off it.