Mobile barton 2500, minium vcore to overclock is ?

Ive got mine at 1.65v, overclokced to 2.4ghz, 400fsb, ram latency of
2,2,3,5.

Its stable as far as i know, i can run 3dmark2003,2005 no probs
without lockups.

Could i run the vcore lower even ?

Thanks.

geoff

Avid Gamer wrote:
> Ive got mine at 1.65v, overclokced to 2.4ghz, 400fsb, ram latency of
> 2,2,3,5.
>
> Its stable as far as i know, i can run 3dmark2003,2005 no probs
> without lockups.
>
> Could i run the vcore lower even ?
>
> Thanks.

use prime95 in torture mode is test if it's stable or not
run it for at least 1 hour

As far as minimum vcore, my 35w 2200 will run p95 torture for 2 hours (I
quit after that) at 166/2150/13x/5.58v indicated in auto mode. If I go up to
13.5x then I have to raise the voltage. Decided not to because I'd want
another heatsink -- it started into the 50'sC. I have no heatsink fan and a
duct to the case fan, which is 80mm @ 2400 rpm.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Tim

"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
> As far as minimum vcore, my 35w 2200 will run p95 torture for 2 hours (I
> quit after that) at 166/2150/13x/5.58v indicated in auto mode.

5.58v?

"Tim" <argybargy@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
>> As far as minimum vcore, my 35w 2200 will run p95 torture for 2 hours (I
>> quit after that) at 166/2150/13x/5.58v indicated in auto mode.
>
> 5.58v?

Right! Pretty tired. That's 1.58v.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

What kind of errors would ii get if it was not stable ?, never used
thta program before, it can get errors yet still be stable right ?

Thanks.

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 23:51:11 +0100, "Geoff" <fooooooool@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Avid Gamer wrote:
>> Ive got mine at 1.65v, overclokced to 2.4ghz, 400fsb, ram latency of
>> 2,2,3,5.
>>
>> Its stable as far as i know, i can run 3dmark2003,2005 no probs
>> without lockups.
>>
>> Could i run the vcore lower even ?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
>use prime95 in torture mode is test if it's stable or not
>run it for at least 1 hour

> What kind of errors would ii get if it was not stable ?, never used
> thta program before, it can get errors yet still be stable right ?
It stops and reads "error."

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Its a mobile cpu man, 5.58 yep, though i would not go below 1.65 on a
desktop system as mine is overclokced and needs it, i think anyless
would mean no booty, though i am wrong most of the time :)

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 21:01:04 -0400, "Tim" <argybargy@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
>> As far as minimum vcore, my 35w 2200 will run p95 torture for 2 hours (I
>> quit after that) at 166/2150/13x/5.58v indicated in auto mode.
>
> 5.58v?

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

>> What kind of errors would ii get if it was not stable ?, never used
>> thta program before, it can get errors yet still be stable right ?
> It stops and reads "error."

.... or crashes, or locks up. Depends how serious the overclock.

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"Avid Gamer" <Scully@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

> What kind of errors would ii get if it was not stable ?, never used
> thta program before, it can get errors yet still be stable right ?

Ed it right, Prime95 is a much better stress test tool. All of my CPU could
pass 3dmark and various at *much* higher frequencies than at which they can
pass Prime95.

Most Prime95 errors will show in the first 10 minutes or so. But to be
really sure you should run it overnight. Quite often - when you think all
is well - it will still fail after 5 or 6 hours.

What you want to do if (when!) you find Prime95 errors, is up to you. Some
people try to convince themselves that there is something wrong with P95.
But believe me, there isn't. If it shows errors, it means your CPU is
producing errors and is not running "properly". This means a risk - however
small - that your system might crash when you really didn't want it to, or
that it might corrupt some important files.

Only you can judge whether you want to accept that risk or not. It may be
that you only game on your PC and if it bombs every now and again, you don't
mind.

Personally, it just bugs me knowing that my PC isn't working right. So I
accept no Prime95 errors at all under any circumstances. If I try some
overclock and I get Prime errors, then I work at it until they are cured.
Only then am I happy.

Chip

"Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message

> "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
>>> What kind of errors would ii get if it was not stable ?, never used
>>> thta program before, it can get errors yet still be stable right ?
>> It stops and reads "error."
>
> ... or crashes, or locks up. Depends how serious the overclock.

Whew. I'm glad I've just seen "error." Going from 13x to 13.5x.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

> "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
>>> It stops and reads "error."
>>
>> ... or crashes, or locks up. Depends how serious the overclock.
>
> Whew. I'm glad I've just seen "error." Going from 13x to 13.5x.

Actually it can get a LOT worse. It seems to depend on your individual CPU
actually... and specifically how it behaves when it fails.

My second Athlon XP was a 2100+ Tbred "B". A good overclocker, it would do
around 2450MHz (which ironically is the same as the Barton 3200+ I bought to
replace it and then the mobile 2500+ "I" I bought to replace that and the
mobile 2500+ "A" which followed that! Anyway, I digress...)

This TBred managed to trash windows twice whilst I was running Prime95 tests
with it. Instead of nice neat error messages, it would fall over with its
legs in the air, crash XP and worse - leave XP completely unbootable!

Chip

"Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote
> This TBred managed to trash windows twice whilst I was running Prime95
> tests with it. Instead of nice neat error messages, it would fall over
> with its legs in the air, crash XP and worse - leave XP completely
> unbootable!
I hope you had a disk image to fall back on!
I use bootitng to make a bootable copy of my 10 gig C: partition on my 60
gig master hd, so that if such a disaster happens, or my C: shows evidence
of rot, I can immediately boot the copy. They share the data on F:. Actually
it takes 2 copies since one backs up the other, which may get booted.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

> "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote
>> This TBred managed to trash windows twice whilst I was running Prime95
>> tests with it. Instead of nice neat error messages, it would fall over
>> with its legs in the air, crash XP and worse - leave XP completely
>> unbootable!
> I hope you had a disk image to fall back on!

I do now!

The first couple of times this happened I didn't and had to do complete
windows reinstalls. Which was <ahem> "irritating". LOL

Ive done that a few times :), still try to push my cpu though, easy
enough to reinstall XP :0

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 09:14:28 +0100, "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net>
wrote:

>"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
>>
>> "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
>>>
>>> ... or crashes, or locks up. Depends how serious the overclock.
>>
>> Whew. I'm glad I've just seen "error." Going from 13x to 13.5x.
>>

>Actually it can get a LOT worse. It seems to depend on your individual CPU
>actually... and specifically how it behaves when it fails.
>
>My second Athlon XP was a 2100+ Tbred "B". A good overclocker, it would do
>around 2450MHz (which ironically is the same as the Barton 3200+ I bought to
>replace it and then the mobile 2500+ "I" I bought to replace that and the
>mobile 2500+ "A" which followed that! Anyway, I digress...)
>
>This TBred managed to trash windows twice whilst I was running Prime95 tests
>with it. Instead of nice neat error messages, it would fall over with its
>legs in the air, crash XP and worse - leave XP completely unbootable!
>
>Chip

I i had a DVD burner i might make an image, though i suppose i could
copy the image to the d:\ drive and leave it their for update :)

Never used such software, i think the best is ?

bootitng at bootitng.com
Not easy to figure out, though.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"Avid Gamer" <Scully@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

> I i had a DVD burner i might make an image, though i suppose i could
> copy the image to the d:\ drive and leave it their for update :)
>
> Never used such software, i think the best is ?

I keep my C: drive fairly small; less than 40GB. That way I can quickly
copy my system over to an old Maxtor 40GB IDE drive when I need to do some
testing. I use Acronis TrueImage to do it - works like a charm. And now if
I trash Windows, I am only trashing a test disk!

For "backups" -i.e. including all my documents, files etc, I use an external
160GB hard drive. That was I can take my "system" to a friends house e.g.
when we go on holidays. So that if we have a fire, or get burgled or
whatever, then I have a safe backup somewhere else.

Chip

I Keep my c:\ drive small to 20 gig here, whats the Norton Utes image
software ???, got it with system works 2004 might give that a try, see
if it works on my next accident :)

Avid Gamer wrote:
> I Keep my c:\ drive small to 20 gig here, whats the Norton Utes image
> software ???, got it with system works 2004 might give that a try, see
> if it works on my next accident :)

The Norton Utility is Ghost. Works well and you already own it ;-) I use
Clone in Ghost Advanced Utilities to create a copy of my entire C: drive
to a second hard drive. If disaster strikes you can use the backup as
primary and either re clone your system back to the way it was or pull
the dead drive and run on the backup until you replace the dead one.
Then just clone from the backup. We have some pretty severe lightning
storms around here so I physically disconnect both the IDE cable and
power plug from the backup drive after cloning.

--
FRH