Monitor shutdown and freezes on PC

A couple of weeks ago I started having problems with the monitor
suddenly going black. It would go into what looks like a hibernating
mode but I have turned off all of the hibernating options on the PC. I
also noticed that whenever the monitor shutdowns that the red
processing light also is locked on red like the hard drive is working
overtime. Only the monitor goes black as the PC is still on but locked
up. I have to up plug the PC to get it to shutdown but it boots up fine
every time. I took it into the PC store that built the system for me
to see what was wrong. I thought it was the hard drive at first but
the tech said it was fine.

He tells me he checked the video card, memory and power supply but
can't find what is wrong. I wanted more storage space so I had him
add on a 120g hard drive to compliment the 40g I already had. When he
went to reinstall Windows 2000 back on the PC it wouldn't work. Seems
he could get 98 to work, XP to work but not Windows 2000...very
strange. I just decided to upgrade to XP and get the PC home.

Once the PC was home again it started having a lot of freeze ups while
I was surfing or trying to run a program. If fact I have rebooted the
PC three times just trying to write this letter. Ran my Nortons
Antivirus, Ad Aware, Reg Cleaner and Spybot to make sure I didn't
have a virus but everything is coming up clean. I also downloaded
system monitor software to check CPU temp and it is running at what I
think is an acceptable temperature of 30 degrees Celsius.

Wow. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Systems stats are:
Intel P4
512ram
Windows XP service pack 2
HP flatscreen F1703
System is about two years old

<williamthomp@gmail.com> wrote in message
>A couple of weeks ago I started having problems with the monitor
> suddenly going black. It would go into what looks like a hibernating
> mode but I have turned off all of the hibernating options on the PC. I
> also noticed that whenever the monitor shutdowns that the red
> processing light also is locked on red like the hard drive is working
> overtime. Only the monitor goes black as the PC is still on but locked
> up. I have to up plug the PC to get it to shutdown but it boots up fine
> every time. I took it into the PC store that built the system for me
> to see what was wrong. I thought it was the hard drive at first but
> the tech said it was fine.
>
> He tells me he checked the video card, memory and power supply but
> can't find what is wrong. I wanted more storage space so I had him
> add on a 120g hard drive to compliment the 40g I already had. When he
> went to reinstall Windows 2000 back on the PC it wouldn't work. Seems
> he could get 98 to work, XP to work but not Windows 2000...very
> strange. I just decided to upgrade to XP and get the PC home.
>
> Once the PC was home again it started having a lot of freeze ups while
> I was surfing or trying to run a program. If fact I have rebooted the
> PC three times just trying to write this letter. Ran my Nortons
> Antivirus, Ad Aware, Reg Cleaner and Spybot to make sure I didn't
> have a virus but everything is coming up clean. I also downloaded
> system monitor software to check CPU temp and it is running at what I
> think is an acceptable temperature of 30 degrees Celsius.
>
> Wow. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Systems stats are:
> Intel P4
> 512ram
> Windows XP service pack 2
> HP flatscreen F1703
> System is about two years old

Unless your home is keep as cold as a beer cooler, I seriously doubt your
processor is running at 30 degrees Celsius. P4 procs put out absolutely
huge amounts of heat. I would find a different piece of software that will
give you the true temperature of your processor. It sounds exactly like your
proc is running hot and the thermal protection is shutting your system down.

Bobby

Using EVEREST Ultimate Edition 2005 (c) 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc.
Here is the info it is giving me
Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type ITE IT8712F
(ISA 290h)
Chassis Intrusion Detected Yes

Temperatures:
CPU 30 °C (86
°F)
IBM IC35L060AVV207-0 41 °C (106
°F)
WDC WD1200BB-00GUA0 38 °C (100
°F)

Cooling Fans:
CPU 2766 RPM

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.54 V
+2.5 V 1.47 V
+3.3 V 3.30 V
+5 V 5.13 V
+12 V 12.10 V
+5 V Standby 4.92 V
Debug Info F FF 3D FF
Debug Info T 127 127 30
Debug Info V 60 5C CE BF BD
3A 45 (F7)

[...]

The diode may well be wrong...30 seems way too low. Provided the temp is
accurate, then the next logical place to look is the Power Supply Unit.
Many inexpensive PSU's do not deliver enough amperage on the 12 volt rail to
keep things going. Using an app like Everest will tell you nothing. You
need a meter designed to measure amperage at load.

I still suspect an issue with the processor...30 Celsius is very low
unless the room it is in is kept in the mid 60s (Fahrenheit).

The next step (after proc and PSU) would be memory. Mismatched modules or a
module with a bad bank can cause sudden lock-ups, freezing, and can even
cause system shutdown.

Bobby

By the way, 30 C is equal to 86 F.
38 C = 100.4 F.
41 C = 105.8 F.

Not sure if I would want to store anything "cool" in these temperatures.
The running temps sound pretty acurate to me. Maybe a little on the low
side, but definitely not a "cold room." Just thought I'd let you both know.
Thanks!