2500+ Normal Speed..

AndyM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi all,

I know that this is an overlocking newsgroup, but I was wondering if you
guys could help me..

I have a 2500+ running on an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Mobo.

It seems that when I go to the Control Panel -> System ->General, it shows
that I am only getting 1.09Ghz out of it. I think the default speed is
1.83Ghz.

Can anybody explain why my default speed is so low? I have never overclocked
or changed any BIOS setting (I'm a bit of a gumby with these things, so have
left everything alone!!).

Seems I'm losing around 40% of my minimum potential here...

Any clues would be most appreciated...

Regards,

andym

mark

Have you checked the bus speed in the bio's?

"andym" <apmeehan@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I know that this is an overlocking newsgroup, but I was wondering if you
> guys could help me..
>
> I have a 2500+ running on an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Mobo.
>
> It seems that when I go to the Control Panel -> System ->General, it shows
> that I am only getting 1.09Ghz out of it. I think the default speed is
> 1.83Ghz.
>
> Can anybody explain why my default speed is so low? I have never
> overclocked
> or changed any BIOS setting (I'm a bit of a gumby with these things, so
> have
> left everything alone!!).
>
> Seems I'm losing around 40% of my minimum potential here...
>
> Any clues would be most appreciated...
>
> Regards,
>
> andym

Hi
Your front side bus is set at 100Mhz = 11 X 100 = 1100Mhz
should be 166Mhz = 11X 166= 1833Mhz

Smiffy

"andym" <apmeehan@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I know that this is an overlocking newsgroup, but I was wondering if you
> guys could help me..
>
> I have a 2500+ running on an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Mobo.
>
> It seems that when I go to the Control Panel -> System ->General, it shows
> that I am only getting 1.09Ghz out of it. I think the default speed is
> 1.83Ghz.
>
> Can anybody explain why my default speed is so low? I have never
overclocked
> or changed any BIOS setting (I'm a bit of a gumby with these things, so
have
> left everything alone!!).
>
> Seems I'm losing around 40% of my minimum potential here...
>
> Any clues would be most appreciated...
>
> Regards,
>
> andym

Actually
1.83 is correct
166 * 11 = 1826

"Mark" <mschal@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Have you checked the bus speed in the bio's?

Why should he..

> Actually
> 1.83 is correct
> 166 * 11 = 1826

Dont ask, I dont know.. It's jus tme

"rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote in message

> "Mark" <mschal@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> > Have you checked the bus speed in the bio's?
> >

> Why should he..

Gawd
Wake up me..

mark

Time for that double expresso!!!! :)

> "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Mark" <mschal@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> > Have you checked the bus speed in the bio's?
>> >

>> Why should he..
>>

> Gawd
> Wake up me..

AndyM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Mark,

I have the following settings shown on my "Advanced Chipset Features" area
of the BIOS..

CPU Ext. Freq. = 100Mhz
CPU Freq. Multiple Setting = Auto
System Perfomance = Optimal
FSB Spread spectrum = .50%

Would any of this need to be changed? ... as I said before i just want the
1.83Mhz .. not interested in overclocking...

Regards,

andym

> Have you checked the bus speed in the bio's?
>
> "andym" <apmeehan@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I know that this is an overlocking newsgroup, but I was wondering if you
> > guys could help me..
> >
> > I have a 2500+ running on an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Mobo.
> >
> > It seems that when I go to the Control Panel -> System ->General, it
shows
> > that I am only getting 1.09Ghz out of it. I think the default speed is
> > 1.83Ghz.
> >
> > Can anybody explain why my default speed is so low? I have never
> > overclocked
> > or changed any BIOS setting (I'm a bit of a gumby with these things, so
> > have
> > left everything alone!!).
> >
> > Seems I'm losing around 40% of my minimum potential here...
> >
> > Any clues would be most appreciated...
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > andym

AndyM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Mark,

I just experimented and changed the CPU Ext. Freq to 166Mhz, and it
worked!!! I am now running on 1.83Ghz..

many thanks :)

andym!!

> Mark,
>
> I have the following settings shown on my "Advanced Chipset Features" area
> of the BIOS..
>
> CPU Ext. Freq. = 100Mhz
> CPU Freq. Multiple Setting = Auto
> System Perfomance = Optimal
> FSB Spread spectrum = .50%
>
> Would any of this need to be changed? ... as I said before i just want the
> 1.83Mhz .. not interested in overclocking...
>
> Regards,
>
> andym
>

> > Have you checked the bus speed in the bio's?
> >
> > "andym" <apmeehan@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I know that this is an overlocking newsgroup, but I was wondering if
you
> > > guys could help me..
> > >
> > > I have a 2500+ running on an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Mobo.
> > >
> > > It seems that when I go to the Control Panel -> System ->General, it
> shows
> > > that I am only getting 1.09Ghz out of it. I think the default speed is
> > > 1.83Ghz.
> > >
> > > Can anybody explain why my default speed is so low? I have never
> > > overclocked
> > > or changed any BIOS setting (I'm a bit of a gumby with these things,
so
> > > have
> > > left everything alone!!).
> > >
> > > Seems I'm losing around 40% of my minimum potential here...
> > >
> > > Any clues would be most appreciated...
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > andym

Hi
Set FSB spread spectrum to 0%(disabled) as well
how old is your XP2500,it may be unlocked
try changing cpu freq multiplier to 10 say and see if it
boots at 1666Mhz
Smiffy
> Mark,
>
> I just experimented and changed the CPU Ext. Freq to 166Mhz, and it
> worked!!! I am now running on 1.83Ghz..
>
> many thanks :)
>

> andym!!
>
> "andym" <apmeehan@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
>> Mark,
>>
>> I have the following settings shown on my "Advanced Chipset Features"
>> area
>> of the BIOS..
>>
>> CPU Ext. Freq. = 100Mhz
>> CPU Freq. Multiple Setting = Auto
>> System Perfomance = Optimal
>> FSB Spread spectrum = .50%

mark

The bus speed is usually the issue when it comes to cpu speed...happy
computing

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz> wrote in message
> rstlne wrote:
> > "andym" <apmeehan@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I know that this is an overlocking newsgroup, but I was wondering if
> >> you guys could help me..
> >>
> >> I have a 2500+ running on an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Mobo.
> >>
> >> It seems that when I go to the Control Panel -> System ->General, it
> >> shows that I am only getting 1.09Ghz out of it. I think the default
> >> speed is
> >> 1.83Ghz.
> >>
> >> Can anybody explain why my default speed is so low? I have never
> >> overclocked or changed any BIOS setting (I'm a bit of a gumby with
> >> these things, so have left everything alone!!).
> >>
> >> Seems I'm losing around 40% of my minimum potential here...
> >>
> >> Any clues would be most appreciated...
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> andym
> >>

> > Actually
> > 1.83 is correct
> > 166 * 11 = 1826
>
> Actually
> 1.833 is correct
> 166.666666 x 11 = 1833.33
> --
> ~misfit~

Actually we are both incorrect..
I have serious doubts that a computer will have a regulated freqency THAT
precise ;P ..

>> > Actually
>> > 1.83 is correct
>> > 166 * 11 = 1826
>>
>> Actually
>> 1.833 is correct
>> 166.666666 x 11 = 1833.33
>> --
>> ~misfit~
>
> Actually we are both incorrect..
> I have serious doubts that a computer will have a regulated freqency THAT
> precise ;P ..

Well that is the target! To write the frequency in decmial, we have to
truncate the decimal points somewhere. To be 100% mathematically accurate:
166-and-two-thirds * 11 = 1833-and-one-third MHz 'exactly'.

We just write "166 x 11" or "166.6667 x 11" to make it easier to read!

I believe it is a quartz signal that regulates things? - Anyone confirm
this?