Need Help: No FSB 133 with MSI K7TM Pro (MS-6340)

Hi there!

I've asked this question already in
alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar.
A friendly guy named Chris told me to ask again here, he wrote:

"There is a guy there named Wes Newell that has extensive knowledge of
doing exactly what you want to do, and he may be able to help you out."

:) So, I'll ask again....

At the moment I'm trying to run a MSI K7TM Pro (MS-6340 Rev V3) with a
frontsidebus of 133Mhz. (I want to use a 1800+ Palomino) Specs and CPU-Table
for that board say that it's possible. Unfortunately is only runnin' at FSB
100.
As soon as I short circuit jumper J9 (as mentioned in the manual at 2-30)
the
board doesn't boot. No POST, no video, nothing - only the power supply
and the (cpu-) fans are runnin'.

What I've done to fix this problem (without success):
- updated the bios to the newest version V4.7 (W6340VMS.470)
- cleared cmos / resetted bios to default / failsafe settings
- tried different 3.3v SDRAM DIMMs (Kingston, Infinion)
- tried another AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (Palomino)
- tried another power supply (350 W should be ok...)
- clicked through different FAQa
- getting lotta grey hairs
- ...

The board runs fine & stable at FSB 100 (10x11.5?) with WinXP Pro SP1.

Does anyone of you have a brilliant idea to run that board with a FSB of
133?
Actually, it should be able to...

Kind regards & full of hope,
Stefan

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 13:08:37 +0200, Stefan Kramperth wrote:

> At the moment I'm trying to run a MSI K7TM Pro (MS-6340 Rev V3) with a
> frontsidebus of 133Mhz. (I want to use a 1800+ Palomino) Specs and CPU-Table
> for that board say that it's possible. Unfortunately is only runnin' at FSB
> 100.
If your board uses the KT133 chipset, and I'm almost positive it does, it
only has official support for a 100MHz FSB. I was able to get 116MHz max
out of 2 KT133 boards I had. You will never get anywhare close to 133MHz,
so forget it.

> As soon as I short circuit jumper J9 (as mentioned in the manual at
> 2-30) the
> board doesn't boot. No POST, no video, nothing - only the power supply
> and the (cpu-) fans are runnin'.

If that's a 133mHz jumper forget it on KT133 chipset.

> What I've done to fix this problem (without success): - updated the bios
> to the newest version V4.7 (W6340VMS.470) - cleared cmos / resetted bios
> to default / failsafe settings - tried different 3.3v SDRAM DIMMs
> (Kingston, Infinion) - tried another AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (Palomino) -
> tried another power supply (350 W should be ok...) - clicked through
> different FAQa
> - getting lotta grey hairs
> - ...
>
> The board runs fine & stable at FSB 100 (10x11.5?) with WinXP Pro SP1.
>
> Does anyone of you have a brilliant idea to run that board with a FSB of
> 133?
> Actually, it should be able to...

And it would have had VIA not sent out a buggy chipset that didn't have a
PCI divider clock of 4 in it. As it is, it won't. Now if you want to
replace the KT133 with a KT133A, you should be able to get it to work. But
that's a little extreme.

Assuming you're just wanting more speed out of the CPU, you'll need to
change the multiplier. I used 16x with my old palomino 1600+ XP. I could
then adjust the FSB speed in the bios to get up to a little more than
1800MHz out of it, but best left at 1700MHz or less. The link below should
give you all the info you need. If you mod the multiplier on the cpu, 16x
would be the easiest since you won't have to fill any of the laser cuts.
BTW, I just installed the CPU below in my brothers MSI K7T not long ago.
No problems at all.

If you want to know how to mod the bridges for 16x, go to this link and
select (16xFSB).

http://www.ocinside.de/index_e.html?/html/workshop/socketa/xp_painting.html