Black screen at startup

I am currently experiencing a black screen at startup. It doesn't even
display the POST. The power button light on the monitor goes from green to
orange (standby) and the message "power saving mode" appears within a second
or two from booting the PC.
I have just installed nvidia 77.77 driver on my pc (abit motherboard,
gforce4 5200, LG L1730B LCD monitor using DVI).
Turning the PC on and off several times same day or turning it on the day
after sometimes cures the problem.
I have seen this problem occour for others as well. The problem has either
suddently stopped by itself or been solved by replacing pc or monitor...
This is not an option for me....

Can anyone help?
--
Kind regards