Fastest Athlon on this motherboard?

Anyone have experience of the Soltek SL75-drv5?

The fastest CPU listed for this board is the Thoroughbred 2400+ (which I
have).

As it is based on the KT333 chipset, why should it not run bartons at a 166
FSB and I have PC2700 memory and a decent zalman flower cooler, so could I
use a Barton? Or a mobile chip (BIOS has fine voltage adjustment as well)
The BIOS allows FSB of 100 to 250MHz!!

Multiplier can be auto-selected or set via 5-bit switch on motherboard (not
BIOS).
2 answers Last reply
More about fastest athlon motherboard

    "Gareth Tuckwell" <ContactGT@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Anyone have experience of the Soltek SL75-drv5?
    >
    > The fastest CPU listed for this board is the Thoroughbred 2400+ (which I
    > have).
    >
    > As it is based on the KT333 chipset, why should it not run bartons at a
    > 166 FSB

    Not familiar with that board but I have a KT333 chipset

    It depends on if there is a divider for the pci/agp that is built into the
    chipset, so that when the fsb is set to 166mhz, the pci/agp has been set
    back down to 33/66 mhz. This happens around 133mhz - it depends if your
    bios does the same around 166mhz. If not the pci/agp will be running too
    fast - 75-85mhz and that will cause the problem as the two are tied
    together. I suspect that as there is not a 166mhz fsb cpu listed, that your
    board does not have this divider and is based upon the revision 1 KT333
    chipset. The revision 2 has this extra divider.

    and I have PC2700 memory and a decent zalman flower cooler, so could I
    > use a Barton? Or a mobile chip (BIOS has fine voltage adjustment as well)
    > The BIOS allows FSB of 100 to 250MHz!!

    yes but the motherboard probably can not either get above about 160mhz or
    185mhz fsb depending on if there is the extra divider. The way to find out
    is to try and see how fast the fsb will go, the cpu should run at 166mhz fsb
    anyway - if it does not then the problem is more than likely the KT333. So
    I would not think there was not much to be gained by adding a barton, the
    2400+ should overclock quite well anyway (although a mobile barton would be
    a bit better).

    The 2400+ should in theory go up to 2400mhz anyway - and is not that much
    slower than many bartons - except for the L2 cache) If there is not a
    pci/divider you may be able to run at 150mhz fsb with no problem and maybe
    160mhz.

    > Multiplier can be auto-selected or set via 5-bit switch on motherboard
    > (not BIOS).

    so looks like you will have to play with the multiplier to get to a good
    overclock - if the cpu is an unlocked one. You may have to do a pin mod to
    get access to the higher multipliers. but 150 x 16 or 160 x 15 is in theory
    possible.

    > It depends on if there is a divider for the pci/agp that is built into the
    > chipset, so that when the fsb is set to 166mhz, the pci/agp has been set
    > back down to 33/66 mhz. This happens around 133mhz - it depends if your
    > bios does the same around 166mhz. If not the pci/agp will be running too
    > fast - 75-85mhz and that will cause the problem as the two are tied
    > together. I suspect that as there is not a 166mhz fsb cpu listed, that
    > your board does not have this divider and is based upon the revision 1
    > KT333 chipset. The revision 2 has this extra divider.

    Now, someone else mentioned this divider in a previous post of mine. I had
    forgotten about that. I believe this motherboard (SL75-DRV5) does not have
    the divider at 166, so I guess 133MHz processor for me.

AMD BIOS Overclocking