curt

I have XP running on a dual Xeon PC but I'm not sure XP actually sees both
CPU's. The hardware (BIOS) knows there are 2 but in XP Systems Properties, I
see Computer, Intel Pentium III Xeon processor. Device Manger says MPS
Multiprocessor PC. Anyone else with a dual cpu system that can tell me what
their Systems Properties says?

Windows XP Professional supports up to two (2) CPUs.
Windows XP Home Edition supports only one (1) CPU.

Which version of Windows XP did you install?

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Curt" wrote:

| I have XP running on a dual Xeon PC but I'm not sure XP actually sees both
| CPU's. The hardware (BIOS) knows there are 2 but in XP Systems Properties, I
| see Computer, Intel Pentium III Xeon processor. Device Manger says MPS
| Multiprocessor PC. Anyone else with a dual cpu system that can tell me what
| their Systems Properties says?

curt

It's XP Pro...I checked PerfMon and it does indicate that there are 2 CPU's.
But I'm curious as to why System Properties doesn't actually SAY that there
are 2 CPU's. Anyone else with a dual cpu system that can tell me what

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Windows XP Professional supports up to two (2) CPUs.
> Windows XP Home Edition supports only one (1) CPU.
>
> Which version of Windows XP did you install?
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Curt" wrote:
>
> | I have XP running on a dual Xeon PC but I'm not sure XP actually sees both
> | CPU's. The hardware (BIOS) knows there are 2 but in XP Systems Properties, I
> | see Computer, Intel Pentium III Xeon processor. Device Manger says MPS
> | Multiprocessor PC. Anyone else with a dual cpu system that can tell me what
> | their Systems Properties says?

Is it Home or Pro? Home will only see one physical processor but will see
the Hyper-Threaded virtual processor.

As for see the two processors, you will see them in Device Manager.

"Curt" <Curt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have XP running on a dual Xeon PC but I'm not sure XP actually sees both
> CPU's. The hardware (BIOS) knows there are 2 but in XP Systems Properties,
> see Computer, Intel Pentium III Xeon processor. Device Manger says MPS
> Multiprocessor PC. Anyone else with a dual cpu system that can tell me
> what
> their Systems Properties says?

frodo

Curt <Curt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have XP running on a dual Xeon PC but I'm not sure XP actually sees both
> CPU's. The hardware (BIOS) knows there are 2 but in XP Systems Properties, I
> see Computer, Intel Pentium III Xeon processor. Device Manger says MPS
> Multiprocessor PC. Anyone else with a dual cpu system that can tell me what
> their Systems Properties says?

in device manager it'll list both cpus under "Processors".

in task manager | performance tab, the view menu will offer "cpu history |
one graph per cpu" if you have multi-cpus, so you can monitor loading.