Please recommend an affordable & fast PC setup

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
October 14, 2004 10:52:26 PM

In a nutshell, this is what I would like to upgrade from:

Athlon XP 1800+
MSI MS-6390 (KM266)
512k DDR SDRAM PC2100 (266 MHz)

Pretty much looking for recommendations for:

* Recommended processor
* An AT layout, but an ATX would work
* Type of RAM

My current PC that I built a while back is getting out dated and I need a
SIGNIFICANT, yet affordable increase in power. I really don't need 64 bit
processing.

Awaiting your responses.

Thanks
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 14, 2004 10:52:27 PM

> Pretty much looking for recommendations for:
>
> * Recommended processor
> * An AT layout, but an ATX would work
> * Type of RAM
>

> My current PC that I built a while back is getting out dated and I need a
> SIGNIFICANT, yet affordable increase in power. I really don't need 64 bit
> processing.

An NF2 board, a mobile AthlonXP, and some PC3200 (or faster) memory would
be about the cheapest route to upgrade. With the mobile AthlonXP, you
should get at least 2.2 GHz clock speed ("3200+" speed) *minimum*, with 2.5
GHz not unheard of with good cooling. Compared to your current setup,
you'll be getting 2 times the cache, 1.5 to 1.75 times the memory bandwidth
(depending on your overclocking), and (if overclocked to 2.3 GHZ), 1.5 times
the CPU cycles.

In the end, the question of whether that's worth the cost is going to be
your decision. I generally don't upgrade unless I'm moving ahead at least
one processer generation, so if I were doing the upgrading, I might wait
until a suitable Athlon64 was within my budget.

steve
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 15, 2004 12:05:44 AM

One thing that I miss are those old AMD benchmarks that demonstrate how much
faster the newer AMD CPUs are in comparison to the old ones. That pretty
much gives us an idea to see if upgrading is worth the trouble/money. Like
right now, I really don't know what kind of performance increase I would
realize by upgrading to newer AMD technology.

Also, I was looking at the Sempron but I don't like the idea of a reduced
cache, so I am currently thinking about the AMD Athlon XP

What kind of performance increase would I realize by comparing my old PC to
a new one with an Athlon XP 3200+ Barton (400 FSB) and a decent motherboard?

> In a nutshell, this is what I would like to upgrade from:
>
> Athlon XP 1800+
> MSI MS-6390 (KM266)
> 512k DDR SDRAM PC2100 (266 MHz)
a b K Overclocking
October 15, 2004 12:05:45 AM

"Fernie" <Fernie@not_thisDocSignings.net> writes:
>One thing that I miss are those old AMD benchmarks that demonstrate how much
>faster the newer AMD CPUs are in comparison to the old ones. That pretty
>much gives us an idea to see if upgrading is worth the trouble/money. Like
>right now, I really don't know what kind of performance increase I would
>realize by upgrading to newer AMD technology.

>Also, I was looking at the Sempron but I don't like the idea of a reduced
>cache, so I am currently thinking about the AMD Athlon XP

>What kind of performance increase would I realize by comparing my old PC to
>a new one with an Athlon XP 3200+ Barton (400 FSB) and a decent motherboard?

I was doing number crunching stuff, Mathematica calculations, searching for
factors of large numbers, stuff like that. Switching from the old PIII 600
to the AMD 2000 I saw about a 2.4x increase in speed. When that wasn't
enough anymore I wondered how go get at least 2x more speed. One of the
things that was available to everyone as a benchmarking tool was

http://www.alpertron.com.ar/ECM.HTM

It will take expressions like (2^2281+1)/(3*22811*95803) and hunt for prime
factors. (If anyone finds one I'd be interested in hearing about it)

I coaxed someone with an AMD 3200 to time the same calculations I was doing
with the AMD 2000. He got about 20% faster times than I did.

I gave up on finding hardware to get the 2x increase for now.

>> In a nutshell, this is what I would like to upgrade from:
>>
>> Athlon XP 1800+
>> MSI MS-6390 (KM266)
>> 512k DDR SDRAM PC2100 (266 MHz)
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 15, 2004 2:37:58 AM

"Fernie" <Fernie@not_thisDocSignings.net> wrote in message

" What kind of performance increase would I realize by comparing my old PC
to a new one with an Athlon XP 3200+ Barton (400 FSB) and a decent
motherboard? "

A performance increase with what? It depends what you use your system for.
Also, the term 'affordable' means something different to everyone. What's
your total budget? You could get up to $100 for your current motherboard,
CPU and RAM at www.ebay.com if you are prepared to offload them.

Do you only need to buy a new motherboard, CPU and RAM? What graphics card
and PSU do you have? It's a great possibility that you may need to upgrade
your PSU. Do you have a transferable operating system, or will you need to
buy that too? Is there anything else you need?

I would tend not to recommend a new build where you immediately insert the
maximum-rated CPU, so an XP 3200+ is probably not the best option. You can
build a socket 754 Athlon64 2800+ or 3000+ system for less, and they
out-perform the XP 3200+ in Doom3 ( http://snipurl.com/8jc2 ). In fact,
even the Sempron 3100+ fairs better, and that's almost half the price:

skt754 Sempron 3100+ http://snipurl.com/9ryr $124.00
skt754 Athlon64 2800+ http://snipurl.com/6bf9 $141.00
skt754 Athlon64 3000+ http://snipurl.com/8x5h $164.00
sktA(462) Athlon XP 3200+ http://snipurl.com/9ry4 $200.00
skt754 Athlon64 3200+ http://snipurl.com/8x5p $204.00

Socket 939 will have more upgrade prospects than 754. Up until recently,
the cheapest CPU has been the Athlon64 3500+ at $339.00 (
http://snipurl.com/916t ), but now the skt939 Athlon64 3000+, 3200+ and
3400+ are available:

skt939 Athlon64 3000+ OEM http://snipurl.com/9rz9 $190.00
skt939 Athlon64 3200+ OEM http://snipurl.com/9rza $235.00
skt939 Athlon64 3400+ OEM http://snipurl.com/9rzb $288.00
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 15, 2004 3:27:19 AM

"Steve Wolfe" <unt@see-signature.com> wrote in message
> An NF2 board, a mobile AthlonXP, and some PC3200 (or faster) memory would
> be about the cheapest route to upgrade. With the mobile AthlonXP, you
> should get at least 2.2 GHz clock speed ("3200+" speed) *minimum*, with
> 2.5
> GHz not unheard of with good cooling. Compared to your current setup,
> you'll be getting 2 times the cache, 1.5 to 1.75 times the memory
> bandwidth
> (depending on your overclocking), and (if overclocked to 2.3 GHZ), 1.5
> times
> the CPU cycles.
>
> In the end, the question of whether that's worth the cost is going to be
> your decision. I generally don't upgrade unless I'm moving ahead at least
> one processer generation, so if I were doing the upgrading, I might wait
> until a suitable Athlon64 was within my budget.
>
> steve

Thanks for the info. Like you, I don't like upgrading a good system unless
I can see some dramatic improvements. For example, I once had a P75 and
upgraded to P133 and yes, there was a very obvious speed improvement, heck,
I'd guess double the performance.

The problem that I face today is that my computer now too slow but sadly, I
don't know anyone who owns a more modern AMD system to play and test with.
If this were the case, I would see for myself.

I have a P4 Sony notebook running at 2.60GHz and it seems to run slower than
my old Athlon desktop system. I do understand that notebooks are slower
than desktops.

If I were to upgrade my desktop to something like you mentioned above,
overall, would I see a serious improvement?

Thanks again!
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 15, 2004 3:27:20 AM

> If I were to upgrade my desktop to something like you mentioned above,
> overall, would I see a serious improvement?

It depends on what you consider "serious". Chances are that you'd notice
a difference, but my last upgrade was from a P3/650 to a mobile Athlon.
What do you use the machine for?

steve
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 15, 2004 3:40:29 AM

> A performance increase with what? It depends what
> you use your system for.

My old PC is more than fast enough for general use (word processing,
surfing, etc...) except that I compile C++ code with it and the compilation
process for a particular app is taking approx. 2.5 minutes and I don't
particularly enjoy waiting around each time I build. It would be worth the
upgrade if I could cut compilation time in at least half.

I wish I could find some benchmarks comparing my old PC technology to more
modern stuff like the processors you mentioned. I just don't want to waste
time and effort on something that won't bring me some serious performance
improvements.

Thanks
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 15, 2004 3:52:19 AM

"Don Taylor" <dont@agora.rdrop.com> wrote in message

> Switching from the old PIII 600 to the AMD 2000
> I saw about a 2.4x increase in speed. When that wasn't
> enough anymore I wondered how go get at least 2x more
> speed.

A 2.4x increase is something I'd be interested in pursuing.

> I gave up on finding hardware to get the 2x increase for now.

I'd recon that your AMD 2000 offers performance that is close to my Athlon
XP 1800+. For the cost and troubles of a 20% increase, I may have to sit
and wait a while longer.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 15, 2004 9:25:26 AM

"Steve Wolfe" <unt@codon.com> wrote in message

>> If I were to upgrade my desktop to something like you mentioned above,
>> overall, would I see a serious improvement?
>
> It depends on what you consider "serious". Chances are that you'd notice
> a difference, but my last upgrade was from a P3/650 to a mobile Athlon.
> What do you use the machine for?

I'd like to reduce the time it takes for me to compile C++ code. On my
current Athlon, sometimes I wait about 2.5 minutes between builds. If I
could cut the time in half with a modern system, it would be worthwhile.

Now I'm somewhat hesitant to buy--I had a bad experience last year after I
purchased a P4 2.60 GHz Sony laptop with 512k mem. Although a newer
technology than my desktop, the Vaio is noisy, runs hot, rapidly drains the
battery and does not seem faster than my older desktop.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 15, 2004 9:25:27 AM

> > It depends on what you consider "serious". Chances are that you'd
notice
> > a difference, but my last upgrade was from a P3/650 to a mobile Athlon.
> > What do you use the machine for?
>
> I'd like to reduce the time it takes for me to compile C++ code. On my
> current Athlon, sometimes I wait about 2.5 minutes between builds. If I
> could cut the time in half with a modern system, it would be worthwhile.

I don't think it would cut it in half, but you might cut the time by as
much as 40%.

You could always spring for a multi-processing system, and parallelize your
compilations. ; )

steve
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 15, 2004 11:07:16 AM

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 05:25:26 +0000, Fernie wrote:

> I'd like to reduce the time it takes for me to compile C++ code. On my
> current Athlon, sometimes I wait about 2.5 minutes between builds. If I
> could cut the time in half with a modern system, it would be worthwhile.

An Athlon 64 3000+ should do that, as long as it's the cpu that's slowing
down the compile time and not something else. I've seen comparisons on
linux kernel compile times at one of these. tomshardware.com,
anandtech.com, or aceshardware.com, so check it out to be sure.

a b K Overclocking
October 15, 2004 6:15:22 PM

Wow! Excellent links, thanks!

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.10.15.07.05.11.233788@TAKEOUTverizon.net...
> On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 05:25:26 +0000, Fernie wrote:
>
>> I'd like to reduce the time it takes for me to compile C++ code. On my
>> current Athlon, sometimes I wait about 2.5 minutes between builds. If I
>> could cut the time in half with a modern system, it would be worthwhile.
>>
> An Athlon 64 3000+ should do that, as long as it's the cpu that's slowing
> down the compile time and not something else. I've seen comparisons on
> linux kernel compile times at one of these. tomshardware.com,
> anandtech.com, or aceshardware.com, so check it out to be sure.

a b K Overclocking
October 15, 2004 6:31:46 PM

Wes provided some interesting links, and I was able to find a pretty
interesting one dealing in compression that pretty much allows me to confirm
what you advised:

http://www20.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030217/cpu_charts-3...

I imagine that the speed improvements in my case would be even better than
those displayed on the chart since compressing a file is more disk intensive
that compiling (in my opinion). But anyway, that chart at that website is
very helpful to me.

Thanks

!