Please recommend an affordable & fast PC setup

In a nutshell, this is what I would like to upgrade from:

Athlon XP 1800+
MSI MS-6390 (KM266)
512k DDR SDRAM PC2100 (266 MHz)

Pretty much looking for recommendations for:

* Recommended processor
* An AT layout, but an ATX would work
* Type of RAM

My current PC that I built a while back is getting out dated and I need a
SIGNIFICANT, yet affordable increase in power. I really don't need 64 bit
processing.

Awaiting your responses.

Thanks
13 answers Last reply
More about please recommend affordable fast setup

    > Pretty much looking for recommendations for:
    >
    > * Recommended processor
    > * An AT layout, but an ATX would work
    > * Type of RAM
    >

    > My current PC that I built a while back is getting out dated and I need a
    > SIGNIFICANT, yet affordable increase in power. I really don't need 64 bit
    > processing.

    An NF2 board, a mobile AthlonXP, and some PC3200 (or faster) memory would
    be about the cheapest route to upgrade. With the mobile AthlonXP, you
    should get at least 2.2 GHz clock speed ("3200+" speed) *minimum*, with 2.5
    GHz not unheard of with good cooling. Compared to your current setup,
    you'll be getting 2 times the cache, 1.5 to 1.75 times the memory bandwidth
    (depending on your overclocking), and (if overclocked to 2.3 GHZ), 1.5 times
    the CPU cycles.

    In the end, the question of whether that's worth the cost is going to be
    your decision. I generally don't upgrade unless I'm moving ahead at least
    one processer generation, so if I were doing the upgrading, I might wait
    until a suitable Athlon64 was within my budget.

    steve

    One thing that I miss are those old AMD benchmarks that demonstrate how much
    faster the newer AMD CPUs are in comparison to the old ones. That pretty
    much gives us an idea to see if upgrading is worth the trouble/money. Like
    right now, I really don't know what kind of performance increase I would
    realize by upgrading to newer AMD technology.

    Also, I was looking at the Sempron but I don't like the idea of a reduced
    cache, so I am currently thinking about the AMD Athlon XP

    What kind of performance increase would I realize by comparing my old PC to
    a new one with an Athlon XP 3200+ Barton (400 FSB) and a decent motherboard?

    "Fernie" <Fernie@not_thisDocSignings.net> writes:
    >One thing that I miss are those old AMD benchmarks that demonstrate how much
    >faster the newer AMD CPUs are in comparison to the old ones. That pretty
    >much gives us an idea to see if upgrading is worth the trouble/money. Like
    >right now, I really don't know what kind of performance increase I would
    >realize by upgrading to newer AMD technology.

    >Also, I was looking at the Sempron but I don't like the idea of a reduced
    >cache, so I am currently thinking about the AMD Athlon XP

    >What kind of performance increase would I realize by comparing my old PC to
    >a new one with an Athlon XP 3200+ Barton (400 FSB) and a decent motherboard?

    I was doing number crunching stuff, Mathematica calculations, searching for
    factors of large numbers, stuff like that. Switching from the old PIII 600
    to the AMD 2000 I saw about a 2.4x increase in speed. When that wasn't
    enough anymore I wondered how go get at least 2x more speed. One of the
    things that was available to everyone as a benchmarking tool was

    http://www.alpertron.com.ar/ECM.HTM

    It will take expressions like (2^2281+1)/(3*22811*95803) and hunt for prime
    factors. (If anyone finds one I'd be interested in hearing about it)

    I coaxed someone with an AMD 3200 to time the same calculations I was doing
    with the AMD 2000. He got about 20% faster times than I did.

    I gave up on finding hardware to get the 2x increase for now.

    "Fernie" <Fernie@not_thisDocSignings.net> wrote in message

    " What kind of performance increase would I realize by comparing my old PC
    to a new one with an Athlon XP 3200+ Barton (400 FSB) and a decent
    motherboard? "

    A performance increase with what? It depends what you use your system for.
    Also, the term 'affordable' means something different to everyone. What's
    your total budget? You could get up to $100 for your current motherboard,
    CPU and RAM at www.ebay.com if you are prepared to offload them.

    Do you only need to buy a new motherboard, CPU and RAM? What graphics card
    and PSU do you have? It's a great possibility that you may need to upgrade
    your PSU. Do you have a transferable operating system, or will you need to
    buy that too? Is there anything else you need?

    I would tend not to recommend a new build where you immediately insert the
    maximum-rated CPU, so an XP 3200+ is probably not the best option. You can
    build a socket 754 Athlon64 2800+ or 3000+ system for less, and they
    out-perform the XP 3200+ in Doom3 ( http://snipurl.com/8jc2 ). In fact,
    even the Sempron 3100+ fairs better, and that's almost half the price:

    skt754 Sempron 3100+ http://snipurl.com/9ryr $124.00
    skt754 Athlon64 2800+ http://snipurl.com/6bf9 $141.00
    skt754 Athlon64 3000+ http://snipurl.com/8x5h $164.00
    sktA(462) Athlon XP 3200+ http://snipurl.com/9ry4 $200.00
    skt754 Athlon64 3200+ http://snipurl.com/8x5p $204.00

    Socket 939 will have more upgrade prospects than 754. Up until recently,
    the cheapest CPU has been the Athlon64 3500+ at $339.00 (
    http://snipurl.com/916t ), but now the skt939 Athlon64 3000+, 3200+ and
    3400+ are available:

    skt939 Athlon64 3000+ OEM http://snipurl.com/9rz9 $190.00
    skt939 Athlon64 3200+ OEM http://snipurl.com/9rza $235.00
    skt939 Athlon64 3400+ OEM http://snipurl.com/9rzb $288.00

    "Steve Wolfe" <unt@see-signature.com> wrote in message
    > An NF2 board, a mobile AthlonXP, and some PC3200 (or faster) memory would
    > be about the cheapest route to upgrade. With the mobile AthlonXP, you
    > should get at least 2.2 GHz clock speed ("3200+" speed) *minimum*, with
    > 2.5
    > GHz not unheard of with good cooling. Compared to your current setup,
    > you'll be getting 2 times the cache, 1.5 to 1.75 times the memory
    > bandwidth
    > (depending on your overclocking), and (if overclocked to 2.3 GHZ), 1.5
    > times
    > the CPU cycles.
    >
    > In the end, the question of whether that's worth the cost is going to be
    > your decision. I generally don't upgrade unless I'm moving ahead at least
    > one processer generation, so if I were doing the upgrading, I might wait
    > until a suitable Athlon64 was within my budget.
    >
    > steve

    Thanks for the info. Like you, I don't like upgrading a good system unless
    I can see some dramatic improvements. For example, I once had a P75 and
    upgraded to P133 and yes, there was a very obvious speed improvement, heck,
    I'd guess double the performance.

    The problem that I face today is that my computer now too slow but sadly, I
    don't know anyone who owns a more modern AMD system to play and test with.
    If this were the case, I would see for myself.

    I have a P4 Sony notebook running at 2.60GHz and it seems to run slower than
    my old Athlon desktop system. I do understand that notebooks are slower
    than desktops.

    If I were to upgrade my desktop to something like you mentioned above,
    overall, would I see a serious improvement?

    Thanks again!

    > If I were to upgrade my desktop to something like you mentioned above,
    > overall, would I see a serious improvement?

    It depends on what you consider "serious". Chances are that you'd notice
    a difference, but my last upgrade was from a P3/650 to a mobile Athlon.
    What do you use the machine for?

    steve

    > A performance increase with what? It depends what
    > you use your system for.

    My old PC is more than fast enough for general use (word processing,
    surfing, etc...) except that I compile C++ code with it and the compilation
    process for a particular app is taking approx. 2.5 minutes and I don't
    particularly enjoy waiting around each time I build. It would be worth the
    upgrade if I could cut compilation time in at least half.

    I wish I could find some benchmarks comparing my old PC technology to more
    modern stuff like the processors you mentioned. I just don't want to waste
    time and effort on something that won't bring me some serious performance
    improvements.

    Thanks
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    "Don Taylor" <dont@agora.rdrop.com> wrote in message

    > Switching from the old PIII 600 to the AMD 2000
    > I saw about a 2.4x increase in speed. When that wasn't
    > enough anymore I wondered how go get at least 2x more
    > speed.

    A 2.4x increase is something I'd be interested in pursuing.

    > I gave up on finding hardware to get the 2x increase for now.

    I'd recon that your AMD 2000 offers performance that is close to my Athlon
    XP 1800+. For the cost and troubles of a 20% increase, I may have to sit
    and wait a while longer.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    "Steve Wolfe" <unt@codon.com> wrote in message

    >> If I were to upgrade my desktop to something like you mentioned above,
    >> overall, would I see a serious improvement?
    >
    > It depends on what you consider "serious". Chances are that you'd notice
    > a difference, but my last upgrade was from a P3/650 to a mobile Athlon.
    > What do you use the machine for?

    I'd like to reduce the time it takes for me to compile C++ code. On my
    current Athlon, sometimes I wait about 2.5 minutes between builds. If I
    could cut the time in half with a modern system, it would be worthwhile.

    Now I'm somewhat hesitant to buy--I had a bad experience last year after I
    purchased a P4 2.60 GHz Sony laptop with 512k mem. Although a newer
    technology than my desktop, the Vaio is noisy, runs hot, rapidly drains the
    battery and does not seem faster than my older desktop.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    > > It depends on what you consider "serious". Chances are that you'd
    notice
    > > a difference, but my last upgrade was from a P3/650 to a mobile Athlon.
    > > What do you use the machine for?
    >
    > I'd like to reduce the time it takes for me to compile C++ code. On my
    > current Athlon, sometimes I wait about 2.5 minutes between builds. If I
    > could cut the time in half with a modern system, it would be worthwhile.

    I don't think it would cut it in half, but you might cut the time by as
    much as 40%.

    You could always spring for a multi-processing system, and parallelize your
    compilations. ; )

    steve
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 05:25:26 +0000, Fernie wrote:

    > I'd like to reduce the time it takes for me to compile C++ code. On my
    > current Athlon, sometimes I wait about 2.5 minutes between builds. If I
    > could cut the time in half with a modern system, it would be worthwhile.

    An Athlon 64 3000+ should do that, as long as it's the cpu that's slowing
    down the compile time and not something else. I've seen comparisons on
    linux kernel compile times at one of these. tomshardware.com,
    anandtech.com, or aceshardware.com, so check it out to be sure.

  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Wow! Excellent links, thanks!

    "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 05:25:26 +0000, Fernie wrote:
    >
    >> I'd like to reduce the time it takes for me to compile C++ code. On my
    >> current Athlon, sometimes I wait about 2.5 minutes between builds. If I
    >> could cut the time in half with a modern system, it would be worthwhile.
    >>
    > An Athlon 64 3000+ should do that, as long as it's the cpu that's slowing
    > down the compile time and not something else. I've seen comparisons on
    > linux kernel compile times at one of these. tomshardware.com,
    > anandtech.com, or aceshardware.com, so check it out to be sure.

  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Wes provided some interesting links, and I was able to find a pretty
    interesting one dealing in compression that pretty much allows me to confirm
    what you advised:

    http://www20.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030217/cpu_charts-30.html

    I imagine that the speed improvements in my case would be even better than
    those displayed on the chart since compressing a file is more disk intensive
    that compiling (in my opinion). But anyway, that chart at that website is
    very helpful to me.

    Thanks

    >> > It depends on what you consider "serious". Chances are that you'd
    > notice
    >> > a difference, but my last upgrade was from a P3/650 to a mobile Athlon.
    >> > What do you use the machine for?
    >>
    >> I'd like to reduce the time it takes for me to compile C++ code. On my
    >> current Athlon, sometimes I wait about 2.5 minutes between builds. If I
    >> could cut the time in half with a modern system, it would be worthwhile.
    >
    > I don't think it would cut it in half, but you might cut the time by as
    > much as 40%.
    >
    > You could always spring for a multi-processing system, and parallelize
    > your
    > compilations. ; )
    >
    > steve

AMD Overclocking