Audio Device Detected as PCI Modem

My computer has been running just fine for months. This morning I booted up
and logged in and XP "found new hardware" and detected this hardware as a PCI
Modem. I don't have a modem in my PC and haven't installed any new hardware
that would need to be recognized. Consequently, my audio devices are gone.
I have an MSI K8N Ne0 2 Mobo, which has onboard audio. The bios shows that
the device is still enabled.
Any ideas what would cause this? Or, more importantly how to make XP pick
up the hardware as the correct hardware?

Thanks,
Shawn
6 answers Last reply
More about audio device detected modem

    Install/re-install/upgrade the motherboard drivers and/or the onboard audio
    drivers.

    "ShawnAnderson" <ShawnAnderson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My computer has been running just fine for months. This morning I booted
    > up
    > and logged in and XP "found new hardware" and detected this hardware as a
    > PCI
    > Modem. I don't have a modem in my PC and haven't installed any new
    > hardware
    > that would need to be recognized. Consequently, my audio devices are
    > gone.
    > I have an MSI K8N Ne0 2 Mobo, which has onboard audio. The bios shows
    > that
    > the device is still enabled.
    > Any ideas what would cause this? Or, more importantly how to make XP pick
    > up the hardware as the correct hardware?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Shawn

    I've done that. I've uninstalled and reinstalled all of the hidden stuff
    under Sound devices in Device Manager. The OS is determined to detect my
    onboard audio as a PCI Modem. Anything else short of nuking my system that I
    can try?

    "Yves Leclerc" wrote:

    > Install/re-install/upgrade the motherboard drivers and/or the onboard audio
    > drivers.
    >

    > "ShawnAnderson" <ShawnAnderson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My computer has been running just fine for months. This morning I booted
    > > up
    > > and logged in and XP "found new hardware" and detected this hardware as a
    > > PCI
    > > Modem. I don't have a modem in my PC and haven't installed any new
    > > hardware
    > > that would need to be recognized. Consequently, my audio devices are
    > > gone.
    > > I have an MSI K8N Ne0 2 Mobo, which has onboard audio. The bios shows
    > > that
    > > the device is still enabled.
    > > Any ideas what would cause this? Or, more importantly how to make XP pick
    > > up the hardware as the correct hardware?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Shawn

    NO! You need to locate the drivers off the web and re-run that install
    process. By doing the unistall in Device Manager does not truely update the

    > I've done that. I've uninstalled and reinstalled all of the hidden stuff
    > under Sound devices in Device Manager. The OS is determined to detect my
    > onboard audio as a PCI Modem. Anything else short of nuking my system
    > that I
    > can try?
    >
    > "Yves Leclerc" wrote:
    >
    >> Install/re-install/upgrade the motherboard drivers and/or the onboard
    >> audio
    >> drivers.
    >>

    >> "ShawnAnderson" <ShawnAnderson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message
    >> > My computer has been running just fine for months. This morning I
    >> > booted
    >> > up
    >> > and logged in and XP "found new hardware" and detected this hardware as
    >> > PCI
    >> > Modem. I don't have a modem in my PC and haven't installed any new
    >> > hardware
    >> > that would need to be recognized. Consequently, my audio devices are
    >> > gone.
    >> > I have an MSI K8N Ne0 2 Mobo, which has onboard audio. The bios shows
    >> > that
    >> > the device is still enabled.
    >> > Any ideas what would cause this? Or, more importantly how to make XP
    >> > pick
    >> > up the hardware as the correct hardware?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > Shawn

    Yes, I have done that in addition to what I said. I have downloaded and
    installed all the latest drivers for my mobo and audio device. I've tried
    forcing the install of the PCI Modem to be my audio device, which caused my
    system to Blue Screen, as was expected. I've tried installing the audio
    device manually in the Add Hardware Wizard. Any other ideas?

    "Yves Leclerc" wrote:

    > NO! You need to locate the drivers off the web and re-run that install
    > process. By doing the unistall in Device Manager does not truely update the
    > drivers.
    >

    > "ShawnAnderson" <ShawnAnderson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I've done that. I've uninstalled and reinstalled all of the hidden stuff
    > > under Sound devices in Device Manager. The OS is determined to detect my
    > > onboard audio as a PCI Modem. Anything else short of nuking my system
    > > that I
    > > can try?
    > >
    > > "Yves Leclerc" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Install/re-install/upgrade the motherboard drivers and/or the onboard
    > >> audio
    > >> drivers.
    > >>

    > >> "ShawnAnderson" <ShawnAnderson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > >> message

  5. I have encountered the same aggravation here. Doesn't seem to happen until I install some component of windows newer than SP2. It detects my Soundblaster Live 5.1 as a modem, but DOES show as not having any probs in Device manager under sound devices (KX project drivers). I did not have this problem the last time I re-installed xp - but I had encountered it before. With all that money - can't Bill Gates put out a decent piece of software?!! AAAARRRRGHHH!!!!! :fou:
  6. Blame Creative for their "excellent" products. Also, third party drivers, no matter how good you hear they are, aren't necessarily always the best solution.

Hardware Modem Devices Audio Windows XP