Pinmod info please

Can anyone point me to a good pinmod website?

I have 2 PCs and want to pinmod one, so I can get higher than 15x
multipliers. I want to pinmod the other to undervolt it and run it slower
and cooler (running basically as a music + DVD player).

What's the core voltage for an Athlon XP 1800+ 1.53GHz (thoroughbred).
1.65v? And what voltage has anyone underclocked it to? I think I'll run it
at about 120Mhz FSB (1.3GHz ish).

I don't think either processor is locked.

JS

"Gareth Tuckwell" <ContactGT@hotmail.com> wrote in

> I don't think either processor is locked.

If it is not locked why do you need to pinmod it?

"JS" <JS@huh.wha> wrote in message
> "Gareth Tuckwell" <ContactGT@hotmail.com> wrote in
>

>> I don't think either processor is locked.
>>

> If it is not locked why do you need to pinmod it?

Need pinmods because:

One PC is an athlon 2400 at 15x133 - motherboard does not have adjustments
(manually) for a 5 bit multiplier - I can only manually set 4-bit
multipliers - up to 12.5. Auto-detect runs just fine at 15x, but the FSB
won't turn up much due to lack of clock divider, therefore AGP/PCI bus can't
cope! So I want to just turn the processor up to 15.5x or 16x or higher.

The other PC is a Shuttle SK41G - motherboard is Shuttle FX41. It doesn't
have BIOS settings or motherboard jumpers for the voltage. I can set the
FSB, but not the core volts and I want to underclock for cooling as
performance is not required.

Thanks for the link though: Correct voltage for 1800+ is 1.6v. I'll try 1.5v
and turn it down from there.

http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html

> What's the core voltage for an Athlon XP 1800+ 1.53GHz (thoroughbred).
> 1.65v?

Believe it or not, it varies, 1.5-1.65v, depending on core.

> And what voltage has anyone underclocked it to? I think I'll run it
> at about 120Mhz FSB (1.3GHz ish).

That'll depend on the core. I had no problem running a Tbred B core at
1.4v and 1300MHz (13x100).

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:18:58 +0000, Gareth Tuckwell wrote:

> "JS" <JS@huh.wha> wrote in message
>> "Gareth Tuckwell" <ContactGT@hotmail.com> wrote in
>>

>>> I don't think either processor is locked.
>>>

>> If it is not locked why do you need to pinmod it?
>
> Need pinmods because:
>
> One PC is an athlon 2400 at 15x133 - motherboard does not have adjustments
> (manually) for a 5 bit multiplier - I can only manually set 4-bit
> multipliers - up to 12.5. Auto-detect runs just fine at 15x, but the FSB
> won't turn up much due to lack of clock divider, therefore AGP/PCI bus can't
> cope! So I want to just turn the processor up to 15.5x or 16x or higher.

Somethings wrong with this. If the cpu is unlocked, and your board
supports 4bits of the multiplier, you should be able to set any valid
value from 13 to 24x using the 4bits. User defined 8 would translate into
a 16x multiplier since the 8x bit5 is already high. See multiplier cross
ref. in sig link.

> Thanks for the link though: Correct voltage for 1800+ is 1.6v. I'll try
> 1.5v and turn it down from there.

This is wrong. The only way you can tell the default voltage is either to
set the board to default and see what it is, or look at the part number.
Voltages will vary on different 1800+ cpu's from 1.5-1.65v.

http://www.amdboard.com/amdid.html

>> Need pinmods because:
>>
>> One PC is an athlon 2400 at 15x133 - motherboard does not have
>> adjustments
>> (manually) for a 5 bit multiplier - I can only manually set 4-bit
>> multipliers - up to 12.5. Auto-detect runs just fine at 15x, but the FSB
>> won't turn up much due to lack of clock divider, therefore AGP/PCI bus
>> can't
>> cope! So I want to just turn the processor up to 15.5x or 16x or higher.
>>
> Somethings wrong with this. If the cpu is unlocked, and your board
> supports 4bits of the multiplier, you should be able to set any valid
> value from 13 to 24x using the 4bits. User defined 8 would translate into
> a 16x multiplier since the 8x bit5 is already high. See multiplier cross
> ref. in sig link.

The multiplier setting on my board is a little blue block of 5 switches. The
5th switch determines auto or manual multiplier, which (in manual mode) just
leaves switches 1-4 to actually set the multiplier. The manual has details
of switch settings for multipliers from 5.5 to 12.5 (15 settings). There is
no mention of anything above 12.5 and with 4 switched the maximum number of
combinations is 16, so there must be just 1 unmentioned setting, so I don't
think I can manually set 13 to 24x.

>> Thanks for the link though: Correct voltage for 1800+ is 1.6v. I'll try
>> 1.5v and turn it down from there.
>
> This is wrong. The only way you can tell the default voltage is either to
> set the board to default and see what it is, or look at the part number.
> Voltages will vary on different 1800+ cpu's from 1.5-1.65v.

I can't change set voltage in the bios, so I can't read what it is! I'll
read the CPU when I take it out to stick wire in the holes!
Thanks for the link - I'll check my serial number against it.

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 09:07:45 +0000, Gareth Tuckwell wrote:

> The multiplier setting on my board is a little blue block of 5 switches. The
> 5th switch determines auto or manual multiplier, which (in manual mode) just
> leaves switches 1-4 to actually set the multiplier. The manual has details
> of switch settings for multipliers from 5.5 to 12.5 (15 settings). There is
> no mention of anything above 12.5 and with 4 switched the maximum number of
> combinations is 16, so there must be just 1 unmentioned setting, so I don't
> think I can manually set 13 to 24x.

if you set the 5th switch to manual, and set the other 4 for a multiplier
of 8, then you would get a multiplier of 16 since the 5th multiplier
switch that you don't have to set the 5th multiplier bit high is already
set high on the cpu. This will work as long as your bios doesn't stop it
from working. On an Abit KT7 for instance, there's a Speed Error Hold
setting. This has to be disabled (and is by default) to run a cpu at
something other than default speeds.

> I can't change set voltage in the bios, so I can't read what it is! I'll

Doesn't your bios have a hardware monitor in it? You should be able to see
current vcore there, along with other voltages, temps, fan speeds, etc.