  • Boot
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows XP
August 31, 2005 10:08:58 PM

My computer suddently won't boot up and shows a blue screen saying
unmountable boot volume issue. I booted up the pc using Windows XP disk and
entered into repair mode doing chkdsk. It found some errors - The volume
appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems. I tried to take out
the harddisk and put it into a USB external harddisk case but it could not
be displayed the volume - harddisk was detected. Is there any way to save
the data on the harddisk before I replace the harddisk?

Thanks,

Ray

More about : boot urgent

August 31, 2005 10:08:59 PM

"Ray" <NoSpan-lizhiqiang1@GMail.com> wrote in message
> My computer suddently won't boot up and shows a blue screen saying
> unmountable boot volume issue. I booted up the pc using Windows XP disk
> and entered into repair mode doing chkdsk. It found some errors - The
> volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems. I tried to
> take out the harddisk and put it into a USB external harddisk case but it
> could not be displayed the volume - harddisk was detected. Is there any
> way to save the data on the harddisk before I replace the harddisk?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ray

Did you change the jumpers to slave before putting it in the USB?

Alias
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 10:08:59 PM

"Ray" <NoSpan-lizhiqiang1@GMail.com> wrote:

>My computer suddently won't boot up and shows a blue screen saying
>unmountable boot volume issue. I booted up the pc using Windows XP disk and
>entered into repair mode doing chkdsk. It found some errors - The volume
>appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems. I tried to take out
>the harddisk and put it into a USB external harddisk case but it could not
>be displayed the volume - harddisk was detected. Is there any way to save
>the data on the harddisk before I replace the harddisk?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Ray

When you ran CHKDSK from the Windows XP Recovery Console did you use

CHKDSK /R

If not then reinstall the drive into the computer and try it now.

If CHKDSK /R does not (or did not) resolve the problem then go to the
hard drive manufacturer's website and download their free diagnostic
software. Boot the computer with the diskette (or CD) that this
creates and run the diagnostic.

If the drive passes the hard drive diagnostic and CHKDSK /R failed to
repair the problems then your next option is to try a Repair Install
of your Windows XP as per the instructions at

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Related resources
August 31, 2005 10:09:00 PM

Alias wrote:

> "Ray" <NoSpan-lizhiqiang1@GMail.com> wrote in message
>> My computer suddently won't boot up and shows a blue screen saying
>> unmountable boot volume issue. I booted up the pc using Windows XP
>> disk
>> and entered into repair mode doing chkdsk. It found some errors -
>> The
>> volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems. I
>> tried to take out the harddisk and put it into a USB external
>> harddisk case but it
>> could not be displayed the volume - harddisk was detected. Is there
>> any way to save the data on the harddisk before I replace the
>> harddisk?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ray
>
> Did you change the jumpers to slave before putting it in the USB?
>
> Alias

My USB external enclosure needs the hard drive to be jumpered as master,
so I don't think that's the OP's problem. To the OP: if the hard drive
is at all viable - not physically damaged - there are various data
recovery programs that can get the data. Some are free (which I've
never used by others have said they work well) and some are quite
expensive. I use Ontrack's Easy Recovery Pro which is quite costly.

If the hard drive is physically unable to be seen in another machine -
connected directly as slave, not in an external USB enclosure - then
you can send it to a professional data recovery firm. I particularly
recommend DriveSavers, but there are others. These firms' services are
not inexpensive, but only you can determine the worth of your data.

http://www.collina.us/files/REST2514.htm
http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/RESTORATION.html
PCInspector File Recovery -
http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/welcome.htm
Ontrack's EasyRecovery -
http://www.ontrack.com/Homepage.aspx?id=3&pagename=Soft...
Recover and Restore Deleted Files (Line 36) -
File Saver Pro - Recover Deleted Files -
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_u.htm#xp_util
www.recovermyfiles.com

DriveSavers - http://www.drivesavers.com
Seagate Data Recovery Services -
http://www.seagate.com/support/service/drs/services.htm...

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Alias,

There is no jumper on the harddisk at all like the original one on that USB
external harddisk case. Since this model does not have recovery disk, all
the software is stored somewhere on the harddisk. Thus I have to copy the
system onto the new harddisk instead of just having a clean install. Any
practical way to accomplish this task?

Thanks,

Ray

"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message

> "Ray" <NoSpan-lizhiqiang1@GMail.com> wrote in message
>> My computer suddently won't boot up and shows a blue screen saying
>> unmountable boot volume issue. I booted up the pc using Windows XP disk
>> and entered into repair mode doing chkdsk. It found some errors - The
>> volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems. I tried to
>> take out the harddisk and put it into a USB external harddisk case but it
>> could not be displayed the volume - harddisk was detected. Is there any
>> way to save the data on the harddisk before I replace the harddisk?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ray
>
> Did you change the jumpers to slave before putting it in the USB?
>
> Alias

September 1, 2005 1:43:30 AM

Before you replace the hard disk try installing Windows over the top of you
existing installation; don't delete the exizting partition just install over
the top. This will repalce all of the system files and refreshses the parts
the recovery console cannot reach. It has worked for me on at least 2
occassions.

Andy

!