Can I fix this motherboard hardware problem?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hi,

This is a pic of a new motherboard I've got hold of where the 'lugs'
which the CPU heatsink fit on to have been damaged:

http://members.aol.com/jorolat/sempronlugs.jpg

I've been able to fit the heatsink/fan assembly & it works OK with the
CPU temperature running at 46/47 degrees C (according to Speedfan).

I've been thinking of adding a dab of a non-permanent thread locker to
the broken lugs/heatsink clip such as the one shown here:

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/shop.php?item=1762

Would this be a good idea - or has anyone got any further suggestions?

Thanks!

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

> This is a pic of a new motherboard I've got hold of where the 'lugs'
> which the CPU heatsink fit on to have been damaged:
>
> http://members.aol.com/jorolat/sempronlugs.jpg

I think that you're SOL... That board doesn't have any mounting holes for
alternative heatsink mounting.

Since the chip is so close to the edge of the board, you MIGHT be able to
rig some kind of clamp on the one side, but you'll need to be careful.

> I've been thinking of adding a dab of a non-permanent thread locker to
> the broken lugs/heatsink clip such as the one shown here:
>
> http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/shop.php?item=1762

Thread locker won't hold anything... I don't even think that you could
superglue the broken lugs back into place and have them hold.

Something you CAN do is the following... BUT IT IS PERMANENT. Make sure you
choose a good, reliable heatsink. Get some Arctic Silver EPOXY. Clean the
CPU very very well. Apply a dab of the epoxy and press the heatsink onto the
chip. Keep them tight until the epoxy sets.

This is ADHESIVE and NOT the normal Arctic Silver compound you normally use
on a CPU... See here:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_thermal_adhesive.htm

"Noozer" <dont.spam@me.here> wrote in message
>> This is a pic of a new motherboard I've got hold of where the 'lugs'
>> which the CPU heatsink fit on to have been damaged:
>>
>> http://members.aol.com/jorolat/sempronlugs.jpg
>
> I think that you're SOL... That board doesn't have any mounting holes for
> alternative heatsink mounting.
>
> Since the chip is so close to the edge of the board, you MIGHT be able to
> rig some kind of clamp on the one side, but you'll need to be careful.
>
>> I've been thinking of adding a dab of a non-permanent thread locker to
>> the broken lugs/heatsink clip such as the one shown here:
>>
>> http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/shop.php?item=1762
>
> Thread locker won't hold anything... I don't even think that you could
> superglue the broken lugs back into place and have them hold.
>
> Something you CAN do is the following... BUT IT IS PERMANENT. Make sure
> you choose a good, reliable heatsink. Get some Arctic Silver EPOXY. Clean
> the CPU very very well. Apply a dab of the epoxy and press the heatsink
> onto the chip. Keep them tight until the epoxy sets.
>
> This is ADHESIVE and NOT the normal Arctic Silver compound you normally
> use on a CPU... See here:
>
> http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_thermal_adhesive.htm

One thing to keep in mind with this approach is that you're adhering the
heatsink to the CPU, but then there's not much holding the whole assembly to
the motherboard. Well, there's that latch, but if the heatsink is heavy, you
may end up pulling the CPU out of the socket. Not to mention the stress on
the CPU itself from the heatsink pulling on it. If you can run the computer
so that the motherboard is flat, you won't have that problem. I've done
stranger things than this...

Andrew

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

"Noozer" <dont.spam@me.here> wrote in message
>> This is a pic of a new motherboard I've got hold of where the 'lugs'
>> which the CPU heatsink fit on to have been damaged:
>>
>> http://members.aol.com/jorolat/sempronlugs.jpg

That is a brilliant picture of how not to apply thermal paste!

Andy

"Andrew" <andrewportess@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Noozer" <dont.spam@me.here> wrote in message
>>> This is a pic of a new motherboard I've got hold of where the 'lugs'
>>> which the CPU heatsink fit on to have been damaged:
>>>
>>> http://members.aol.com/jorolat/sempronlugs.jpg
>>

> That is a brilliant picture of how not to apply thermal paste!
>
> Andy

You are absolutely tight...there is enough paste on that puppy for a dozen
CPUs.

Bobby

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:38:21 GMT, "Noozer" <dont.spam@me.here> wrote:

>> This is a pic of a new motherboard I've got hold of where the 'lugs'
>> which the CPU heatsink fit on to have been damaged:
>>
>> http://members.aol.com/jorolat/sempronlugs.jpg
>
>I think that you're SOL... That board doesn't have any mounting holes for
>alternative heatsink mounting.
>
>Since the chip is so close to the edge of the board, you MIGHT be able to
>rig some kind of clamp on the one side, but you'll need to be careful.
>
>> I've been thinking of adding a dab of a non-permanent thread locker to
>> the broken lugs/heatsink clip such as the one shown here:
>>
>> http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/shop.php?item=1762
>
>Thread locker won't hold anything... I don't even think that you could
>superglue the broken lugs back into place and have them hold.
>
>Something you CAN do is the following... BUT IT IS PERMANENT. Make sure you
>choose a good, reliable heatsink. Get some Arctic Silver EPOXY. Clean the
>CPU very very well. Apply a dab of the epoxy and press the heatsink onto the
>chip. Keep them tight until the epoxy sets.
>
>This is ADHESIVE and NOT the normal Arctic Silver compound you normally use
>on a CPU... See here:
>
>http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_thermal_adhesive.htm

Thanks for the advice Noozer. Since sending the OP I've been looking
on eBay & the cost of a new board is quite reasonable. I'll either
leave things as they are or get a new board - its an el cheapo PC
Chips M863G.

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:49:29 +0100, "Andrew"
<andrewportess@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:

>"Noozer" <dont.spam@me.here> wrote in message
>>> This is a pic of a new motherboard I've got hold of where the 'lugs'
>>> which the CPU heatsink fit on to have been damaged:
>>>
>>> http://members.aol.com/jorolat/sempronlugs.jpg
>>

>That is a brilliant picture of how not to apply thermal paste!
>
>Andy

Thats interesting Andy cos I don't know much about this stuff - what
you see in the pic was how much paste was there when the unit arrived.
Now that its working I'm reluctant to take the heatsink off again. Is
there a downside to having that much paste on there?

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

i'd recommend a new motherboard altogether rather than risk crushing
the cpu die.. it is very easy to crush the cpu die, heatsinks with the
metal bars that clamp it down are designed so that when the pressure
comes down it it completely horizontal, if you were to put pressure on
it yourself you could risk crushing the cpu.

having that much thermal paste is not a bad thing, it doesn't do
anything bad.. actually the more you put on it cpu the less chance of
you not putting enough and risk frying the cpu.

also if you're gonna put the heatsink back onto that paste.. well
don't.
you have to clean that paste off and put some new paste on.

John Latter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is a pic of a new motherboard I've got hold of where the 'lugs'
> which the CPU heatsink fit on to have been damaged:
>
> http://members.aol.com/jorolat/sempronlugs.jpg
>
> I've been able to fit the heatsink/fan assembly & it works OK with the
> CPU temperature running at 46/47 degrees C (according to Speedfan).
>
> I've been thinking of adding a dab of a non-permanent thread locker to
> the broken lugs/heatsink clip such as the one shown here:
>
> http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/shop.php?item=1762
>
> Would this be a good idea - or has anyone got any further suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
>
> John Latter
>
> Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
> http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html
>
> 'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 19:28:34 +0100, John Latter
<jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>This is a pic of a new motherboard I've got hold of where the 'lugs'
>which the CPU heatsink fit on to have been damaged:
>
>http://members.aol.com/jorolat/sempronlugs.jpg
>
>I've been able to fit the heatsink/fan assembly & it works OK with the
>CPU temperature running at 46/47 degrees C (according to Speedfan).
>
>I've been thinking of adding a dab of a non-permanent thread locker to
>the broken lugs/heatsink clip such as the one shown here:
>
>http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/shop.php?item=1762
>
>Would this be a good idea - or has anyone got any further suggestions?
>
>Thanks!

Please ask in a different group. Your question has nothing to do with
WinXP and hardware.

mercury

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

cripes. i'd toss that out and look for something a *lot* better if i stooped
to ebay (ie 2nd hand).
i do realise $20 is a lot for some...

> Thanks for the advice Noozer. Since sending the OP I've been looking
> on eBay & the cost of a new board is quite reasonable. I'll either
> leave things as they are or get a new board - its an el cheapo PC
> Chips M863G.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

On 1 Sep 2005 12:29:00 -0700, "larry moe 'n curly"
<larrymoencurly@my-deja.com> wrote:

<snip>

> Also
>those lug holes often have sharp edges that can cut through the
>plastic, so I file them smooth at a 45 degree angle.

LOL, I thought I was the only one who had ever done that!

On 1 Sep 2005 13:15:54 -0700, "BlastUK" <BlastUK@gmail.com> wrote:

>i'd recommend a new motherboard altogether rather than risk crushing
>the cpu die.. it is very easy to crush the cpu die, heatsinks with the
>metal bars that clamp it down are designed so that when the pressure
>comes down it it completely horizontal, if you were to put pressure on
>it yourself you could risk crushing the cpu.
>
>having that much thermal paste is not a bad thing, it doesn't do
>anything bad.. actually the more you put on it cpu the less chance of
>you not putting enough and risk frying the cpu.
>
>also if you're gonna put the heatsink back onto that paste.. well
>don't.
>you have to clean that paste off and put some new paste on.

oops - I've already put the heatsink onto the old paste & have been
running the unit... 'gulp'

er, I know I could probably find out on google, but as I'm already
here, do I just wipe the old stuff off?

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 22:16:14 -0400, NobodyMan <none@none.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 19:28:34 +0100, John Latter
><jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>This is a pic of a new motherboard I've got hold of where the 'lugs'
>>which the CPU heatsink fit on to have been damaged:
>>
>>http://members.aol.com/jorolat/sempronlugs.jpg
>>
>>I've been able to fit the heatsink/fan assembly & it works OK with the
>>CPU temperature running at 46/47 degrees C (according to Speedfan).
>>
>>I've been thinking of adding a dab of a non-permanent thread locker to
>>the broken lugs/heatsink clip such as the one shown here:
>>
>>http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/shop.php?item=1762
>>
>>Would this be a good idea - or has anyone got any further suggestions?
>>
>>Thanks!
>
>Please ask in a different group. Your question has nothing to do with
>WinXP and hardware.

has too

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 05:54:01 +0100, John Latter
<jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 22:16:14 -0400, NobodyMan <none@none.net> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 19:28:34 +0100, John Latter
>><jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>This is a pic of a new motherboard I've got hold of where the 'lugs'
>>>which the CPU heatsink fit on to have been damaged:
>>>
>>>http://members.aol.com/jorolat/sempronlugs.jpg
>>>
>>>I've been able to fit the heatsink/fan assembly & it works OK with the
>>>CPU temperature running at 46/47 degrees C (according to Speedfan).
>>>
>>>I've been thinking of adding a dab of a non-permanent thread locker to
>>>the broken lugs/heatsink clip such as the one shown here:
>>>
>>>http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/shop.php?item=1762
>>>
>>>Would this be a good idea - or has anyone got any further suggestions?
>>>
>>>Thanks!
>>
>>Please ask in a different group. Your question has nothing to do with
>>WinXP and hardware.
>
>has too

What are you, five years old? "Has too?" Is that the best rebuke you
could come up with?

You mainboard damage has NOTHING to do with XP.

Alias

"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 05:54:01 +0100, John Latter
> <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 22:16:14 -0400, NobodyMan <none@none.net> wrote:

>>>Please ask in a different group. Your question has nothing to do with
>>>WinXP and hardware.
>>
>>has too
>
> What are you, five years old? "Has too?" Is that the best rebuke you
> could come up with?
>
> You mainboard damage has NOTHING to do with XP.

But it has something to do with hardware. This group's sign on the door, Ms
Net Nanny, is microsoft.public.windowsxp.HARDWARE.

Alias

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 20:28:32 -0400, NobodyMan <none@none.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 05:54:01 +0100, John Latter
><jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 22:16:14 -0400, NobodyMan <none@none.net> wrote:

>>>Please ask in a different group. Your question has nothing to do with
>>>WinXP and hardware.
>>
>>has too
>
>What are you, five years old? "Has too?" Is that the best rebuke you
>could come up with?
>
>You mainboard damage has NOTHING to do with XP.

Why waste ink...

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 02:38:45 +0200, "Alias"
<aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote:

>"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 05:54:01 +0100, John Latter
>> <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>>>has too
>>
>> What are you, five years old? "Has too?" Is that the best rebuke you
>> could come up with?
>>
>> You mainboard damage has NOTHING to do with XP.
>
>But it has something to do with hardware. This group's sign on the door, Ms
>Net Nanny, is microsoft.public.windowsxp.HARDWARE.
>
>Alias

Thanks Alias - 's wot I thought too!

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 02:38:45 +0200, "Alias"
<aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote:

>"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 05:54:01 +0100, John Latter
>> <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>>>has too
>>
>> What are you, five years old? "Has too?" Is that the best rebuke you
>> could come up with?
>>
>> You mainboard damage has NOTHING to do with XP.
>
>But it has something to do with hardware. This group's sign on the door, Ms
>Net Nanny, is microsoft.public.windowsxp.HARDWARE.
>
>Alias

Yes. That means it is open to questions regarding hardware problems
that relate to the XP Operating System. Now explain to me, Ms.
Dumbass, how damage to the mainboard relates, in any way, to the OS.

mercury

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001

> You mainboard damage has NOTHING to do with XP.

but it is a common enough problem for h/w that xp does run on.

get a life.

> On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 02:38:45 +0200, "Alias"
> <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote:
>

>>"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message

>>> What are you, five years old? "Has too?" Is that the best rebuke you
>>> could come up with?
>>>
>>> You mainboard damage has NOTHING to do with XP.
>>
>>But it has something to do with hardware. This group's sign on the door,
>>Ms
>>Net Nanny, is microsoft.public.windowsxp.HARDWARE.
>>
>>Alias
>>
> Yes. That means it is open to questions regarding hardware problems
> that relate to the XP Operating System.

Bullsh*t.

Now explain to me, Ms.
> Dumbass, how damage to the mainboard relates, in any way, to the OS.

No need.

Alias

John Latter wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:49:29 +0100, "Andrew"
> <andrewportess@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:
>

> >"Noozer" <dont.spam@me.here> wrote in message

> >That is a brilliant picture of how not to apply thermal paste!
> >
> >Andy
> >

> Thats interesting Andy cos I don't know much about this stuff - what
> you see in the pic was how much paste was there when the unit arrived.
> Now that its working I'm reluctant to take the heatsink off again. Is
> there a downside to having that much paste on there?
>
> --
>
> John Latter

yeah, major downside. failure. CPu getting too hot. I don't know the
science, but

, it onyl works properly when there's a thin layer of arctic silver
paste over the core(that rectangular or square thing in the center of
the processor). The layer should be very thin, e.g. smoothed out with a
razer blade. You have to be careful about applying it. don't touch it
with your fingers.

The arctic silver website has instructions on how to apply it.

Regarding cleaning it off and reapplying, I use the same safe method
I use when cleaning thermal pads off heatsinks or CPU cores. Maybe you
have to use this method even with paste. 99% isopropyl alcohol and a
lint free cloth.

To get the 99% IPA. (at least in the UK) You go to a chemist (a real
one,not a big store). And then, you ask for the chemist (he's gotta be
wearing a white coat). And you ask him for it. He should give it to
you. IF he asks then tell him it's for cleaning. Most *Real Chemists*
will be fine with it. It's not always easy to find a real one.
Sometimes you ask for one and a guy in a suit comes out and tries to
sell you some 50% solution of something.
Don't think of drinking it, that 1% of isopropyl can cause brain
damage. It's not Ethanol. I also, only use it outside 'cos i've read
that it's nto good to inhale or get on skin - so I wear plastioc
gloves. (Though a scneitist friend says it's ok to inhale a bit or get
a bit on the skin, he uses it all the time and it's one of the safer
things in his science lab!)

get lint free cloth. Regarding what it is..! Lint is bits of thread.
So a tissue, if you wet it and rub it on your trousers, would shred a
bit. THose shreds are called lint. any shreds are called lint. You
want a cloth that doesn't disintegrate like that. Jiff Cloths are a
brand name in the uk. Or immitation jiff cloths. Or those cloths for
cleaning lens on glasses.

A Razer blade for thinning the paste over the core.

Clean the heatsink adn the cpu.

Alternatively, you could just get a thermal pad. but they are not as
effective at cooling. You still have to go through the whole cleaning
job though.

Regarding the 99% IPA. THereare alternatives. But some have drabacks.
AKASA(a company of whome I bought a heatsinks that broke AMD
specifications!!) make a fluid for cleaning CPUs. So I would avoid
that. And some people talk of using Acetone. But apparently if you get
that outside the core of the CPU, it'll go through the CPU or burn it,
so forget that. 99% IPA is the proper stuff. If you cant' get
that, then maybe AKASA's fluid. But if you can even get 99% IPA in the
UK, (with some difficulty , talent and technique) you can get it
anywhere!

On 13 Sep 2005 17:11:33 -0700, jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> [...]
>cleaning lens on glasses.
>
>A Razer blade for thinning the paste over the core.
>
>Clean the heatsink adn the cpu.
>
>Alternatively, you could just get a thermal pad. but they are not as
>effective at cooling. You still have to go through the whole cleaning
>job though.
>
>Regarding the 99% IPA. THereare alternatives. But some have drabacks.
>AKASA(a company of whome I bought a heatsinks that broke AMD
>specifications!!) make a fluid for cleaning CPUs. So I would avoid
>that. And some people talk of using Acetone. But apparently if you get
>that outside the core of the CPU, it'll go through the CPU or burn it,
>so forget that. 99% IPA is the proper stuff. If you cant' get
>that, then maybe AKASA's fluid. But if you can even get 99% IPA in the
>UK, (with some difficulty , talent and technique) you can get it

Thankyou very much James!

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup

TRENDING THREADS