Pioneer DVD-RW Drive reads but won't burn

I called the Pioneer people and they say if it reads, the drive is fine (it's
new) and there's something in the operating system preventing it from
writing. I have Win XP SP2 and Windows Media Center 10. I've tried writing
music files from Windows Media Center and picture files via the Windows CD
writing wizard with no success. It acts like it's going to then fails at the
last minute and gives me an error message the disk is damaged and try a
different one. I went through a whole box of Sony disks and then tried a
Memorex and nothing helped. I've disabled my Norton Antiivirus. I
uninstalled the IDE controller, booted the machine with drive disconnected,
reconnected, rebooted, and reinstalled the drive - no good. I did the same
thing but changed the drive jumper from "master" to "cable select" - no good.
I'm at at my wits' end. I replaced the drive because I had a Lite On which
used to work but started doing the same thing. It was a cheap drive and I
just thought it failed until now with the Pioneer doing the same thing. Any
suggestions besides just reloading the Operating System?

Sound like the DVD-RW drive is not compatible with the "native" XP bruning
tools. Did you install the included DVD burning CD?

"keith3516" <keith3516@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I called the Pioneer people and they say if it reads, the drive is fine
>(it's
> new) and there's something in the operating system preventing it from
> writing. I have Win XP SP2 and Windows Media Center 10. I've tried
> writing
> music files from Windows Media Center and picture files via the Windows CD
> writing wizard with no success. It acts like it's going to then fails at
> the
> last minute and gives me an error message the disk is damaged and try a
> different one. I went through a whole box of Sony disks and then tried a
> Memorex and nothing helped. I've disabled my Norton Antiivirus. I
> uninstalled the IDE controller, booted the machine with drive
> disconnected,
> reconnected, rebooted, and reinstalled the drive - no good. I did the
> same
> thing but changed the drive jumper from "master" to "cable select" - no
> good.
> I'm at at my wits' end. I replaced the drive because I had a Lite On
> which
> used to work but started doing the same thing. It was a cheap drive and I
> just thought it failed until now with the Pioneer doing the same thing.
> Any
> suggestions besides just reloading the Operating System?

I installed all the software it came with. It has a Win 2000 driver, but
says not to install a driver if you're running xp. I did download the latest
firmware from Pioneer's site - no help....

"Yves Leclerc" wrote:

> Sound like the DVD-RW drive is not compatible with the "native" XP bruning
> tools. Did you install the included DVD burning CD?
>

> "keith3516" <keith3516@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I called the Pioneer people and they say if it reads, the drive is fine
> >(it's
> > new) and there's something in the operating system preventing it from
> > writing. I have Win XP SP2 and Windows Media Center 10. I've tried
> > writing
> > music files from Windows Media Center and picture files via the Windows CD
> > writing wizard with no success. It acts like it's going to then fails at
> > the
> > last minute and gives me an error message the disk is damaged and try a
> > different one. I went through a whole box of Sony disks and then tried a
> > Memorex and nothing helped. I've disabled my Norton Antiivirus. I
> > uninstalled the IDE controller, booted the machine with drive
> > disconnected,
> > reconnected, rebooted, and reinstalled the drive - no good. I did the
> > same
> > thing but changed the drive jumper from "master" to "cable select" - no
> > good.
> > I'm at at my wits' end. I replaced the drive because I had a Lite On
> > which
> > used to work but started doing the same thing. It was a cheap drive and I
> > just thought it failed until now with the Pioneer doing the same thing.
> > Any
> > suggestions besides just reloading the Operating System?

BigJim

you need burning software like Nero
"keith3516" <keith3516@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I called the Pioneer people and they say if it reads, the drive is fine
>(it's
> new) and there's something in the operating system preventing it from
> writing. I have Win XP SP2 and Windows Media Center 10. I've tried
> writing
> music files from Windows Media Center and picture files via the Windows CD
> writing wizard with no success. It acts like it's going to then fails at
> the
> last minute and gives me an error message the disk is damaged and try a
> different one. I went through a whole box of Sony disks and then tried a
> Memorex and nothing helped. I've disabled my Norton Antiivirus. I
> uninstalled the IDE controller, booted the machine with drive
> disconnected,
> reconnected, rebooted, and reinstalled the drive - no good. I did the
> same
> thing but changed the drive jumper from "master" to "cable select" - no
> good.
> I'm at at my wits' end. I replaced the drive because I had a Lite On
> which
> used to work but started doing the same thing. It was a cheap drive and I
> just thought it failed until now with the Pioneer doing the same thing.
> Any
> suggestions besides just reloading the Operating System?

peter

Hi,

Native XP does not support DVD burning, you need 3rd party software, e.g.
Nero 6.0 or above.

--
Peter

"keith3516" wrote:

> I called the Pioneer people and they say if it reads, the drive is fine (it's
> new) and there's something in the operating system preventing it from
> writing. I have Win XP SP2 and Windows Media Center 10. I've tried writing
> music files from Windows Media Center and picture files via the Windows CD
> writing wizard with no success. It acts like it's going to then fails at the
> last minute and gives me an error message the disk is damaged and try a
> different one. I went through a whole box of Sony disks and then tried a
> Memorex and nothing helped. I've disabled my Norton Antiivirus. I
> uninstalled the IDE controller, booted the machine with drive disconnected,
> reconnected, rebooted, and reinstalled the drive - no good. I did the same
> thing but changed the drive jumper from "master" to "cable select" - no good.
> I'm at at my wits' end. I replaced the drive because I had a Lite On which
> used to work but started doing the same thing. It was a cheap drive and I
> just thought it failed until now with the Pioneer doing the same thing. Any
> suggestions besides just reloading the Operating System?

Is IMAPI CD Burning Stooped or Disabled in services.msc

--
Peter