Having problem with CD ROM and CDR-s

I had to reinstall Windows XP the other day. And lost a lot of stuff, had to
reinstall, etc. Dell had to walk me through a trouble shooter getting my
drivers working for my monitor and modem. Got that working.

Then, I went to copy the stuff that I had saved on CD-Rs back onto my
computer, and neither of my cdroms will recognize my CD-Rs. I've got an
internal that came with my computer and an Iomega external. Both with the
same problem. Before I could save directly to the cd. I've tried putting in
a brand new cd and format it and all I get is that the drive isn't accessible
or it opens a blank folder with nothing in it. 2 of the cds I know have
stuff on it. one is full.

Now, it will read program cds. Like the ones that came with my Dell, no
problem.

I've run all the trouble shooters, nothing. I've uninstalled and
reinstalled both cdroms numerous times. Properties said that it was working
fine and that the drivers with the best drivers.

I've set both of them to let that drive record.

I'm at a loss for what i need to do next. And my computer is pretty much
worthless to me without a cdrom.

i've got a Dell Dimension 2400. It's a Samsung internal drive and like I
said, an Iomega external.

I hope someone has a solution.

It sounds like you had packet-writing software installed, like DirectCD (now
called Drag-to-Disc) from Roxio. That software allows you to treat a CD-RW
like a giant floppy. (If it was the Roxio software, it also supports CD-R.
InCD, which comes with Nero, only supports CD-RW.)

XP does not, I believe, natively read that format. If you have CD from Dell
for the software, install it.

"Patos Heather" <Patos Heather@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had to reinstall Windows XP the other day. And lost a lot of stuff, had
> reinstall, etc. Dell had to walk me through a trouble shooter getting my
> drivers working for my monitor and modem. Got that working.
>
> Then, I went to copy the stuff that I had saved on CD-Rs back onto my
> computer, and neither of my cdroms will recognize my CD-Rs. I've got an
> internal that came with my computer and an Iomega external. Both with the
> same problem. Before I could save directly to the cd. I've tried putting
> in
> a brand new cd and format it and all I get is that the drive isn't
> accessible
> or it opens a blank folder with nothing in it. 2 of the cds I know have
> stuff on it. one is full.
>
> Now, it will read program cds. Like the ones that came with my Dell, no
> problem.
>
> I've run all the trouble shooters, nothing. I've uninstalled and
> reinstalled both cdroms numerous times. Properties said that it was
> working
> fine and that the drivers with the best drivers.
>
> I've set both of them to let that drive record.
>
> I'm at a loss for what i need to do next. And my computer is pretty much
> worthless to me without a cdrom.
>
> i've got a Dell Dimension 2400. It's a Samsung internal drive and like I
> said, an Iomega external.
>
> I hope someone has a solution.

That's what i thought it was! I've had to reinstall everything. The sonic
folder was showing up in my programs folder, but like everything else, it's
not working. I didn't get a my DVD Record cd with my computer, so it's got
to be on one of my installation cds, but I can't find it. When I click on
install, I get a black box that says installation successful, but I don't
know how to make it show up on my cdrom properties. This is so frustrating.
TY Bob!