Massive AMD Price Cuts: Yay!!

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/19/amd_price_cuts/

What's this about discontinuing some XP-M models tho?

rms

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/19/amd_price_cuts/
>
> What's this about discontinuing some XP-M models tho?

AMD wants to get rid of the 32-bit line in favor of the 64-bit line,
they've been saying that forever. They're just slowly whittling down their
32-bit offerings to get to that point.

steve

> AMD wants to get rid of the 32-bit line in favor of the 64-bit >line,
>they've been saying that forever. They're just slowly whittling >down their
>32-bit offerings to get to that point.

steve

It will years before the 32 bit system will eliminated. Most people dont need
64 bit and besides there are almost no 64 programs for 64 bit.

> > AMD wants to get rid of the 32-bit line in favor of the 64-bit >line,
> >they've been saying that forever. They're just slowly whittling >down
their
> >32-bit offerings to get to that point.
>
> It will years before the 32 bit system will eliminated. Most people dont
need
> 64 bit and besides there are almost no 64 programs for 64 bit.

Try more like 1 year. AMD has said, time and again, that it's going to
stop production of 32-bit Athlons before long. Whether people need
64-bitness or not, they're buying the chips, and AMD's getting rich off of
them. That's not to say that you won't be able to buy a 32-bit system, you
just won't be able to buy one with an AMD chip in it.

steve

> It will years before the 32 bit system will eliminated. Most people dont need
> 64 bit and besides there are almost no 64 programs for 64 bit.

That's because the number of 64 bit processors in the hands of end users
is swamped by the number of 32 bit processors. When 64 bit processors
get more commonplace (as AMD is trying to push now), more people will
start writing 64 bit programs, etc, etc.

We had this very same thing going on 15 years ago with the introduction
of 32 bit processors (386 for definite, possibly the 286 earlier; I
don't know). It's high time we jumped up a level.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

that's what i'm afraid of, forced upgrading, ugh...

"Steve Wolfe" <unt@codon.com> wrote in message
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/19/amd_price_cuts/
> >
> > What's this about discontinuing some XP-M models tho?
>
> AMD wants to get rid of the 32-bit line in favor of the 64-bit line,
> they've been saying that forever. They're just slowly whittling down
their
> 32-bit offerings to get to that point.
>
> steve

Try more like 1 year. AMD has said, time and again, that it's >going to
stop production of 32-bit Athlons before long. Whether people >need
64-bitness or not, they're buying the chips, and AMD's getting >rich off of
them. That's not to say that you won't be able to buy a 32-bit >system, you
just won't be able to buy one with an AMD chip in it.

>steve

There will be 32 bit AMD processors for years to come. Only a
very small percentage of the processor sales are 64 bit,mabey 1 or 2 % if that.
They have to make them available to people that will be still using 32 bit
systems,hell you can still buy PIII's and they have been obsolete for years.

> There will be 32 bit AMD processors for years to come.

Not very likely. They've said they're going to stop making them, and
they've been whittling down the 32-bit line quite regularly. There's no
indication that they're going to turn around.

> Only a
> very small percentage of the processor sales are 64 bit,mabey 1 or 2 % if
that.
> They have to make them available to people that will be still using 32 bit
> systems,hell you can still buy PIII's and they have been obsolete for
years.

AMD will sell 32-bit chips as long as they're profitable... but that's not
for long, even AMD says that it's likely to end next year ('05). AMD has
lost money on 32-bit chips for the entire lifespan of the company. Once
they started making 64-bit chips, they were suddenly profitable. There
hasn't been a single speed increase, revision, or other change in the 32-bit
lineup for quite some time (it's been over *4 YEARS* since a speedup to the
Athlon XP line), but they have been steadily dropping products for the
32-bit lineup for some time. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to see the
writing on the wall.

I could see AMD keeping around a token 32-bit chip (like the Geode) for
low-cost, low-power devices, but they'll be for the niche markets, not for
mainstream machines. AMD's found their Intel-beating cache-cow, and they're
not about to give it up.

steve

> AMD will sell 32-bit chips as long as they're profitable... but >that's not
>for long, even AMD says that it's likely to end next year ('05). >AMD has
>lost money on 32-bit chips for the entire lifespan of the >company.

That is only a prediction that they will not make any more 32 bit CPU's after
2005. They are going to have to lower the price a lot on the 64 bit processors
to sell them,and that will be at a loss just like the 32 bit versions. These
cheap AMD customers look mostly at the price of the processor and dont wan to
spend over $50- $60 for one. The 64 bit CPU's will never even be close to that
so,they will keep selling what the public wants,cheap 32 bit processors. 64
bit programs are a long ways off,even the AMD spokes person admitted that,years
away not the end of 2005, so nobody will even want the high priced 64 bit CPU's
when there are cheap 32 bit ones are available.

> That is only a prediction that they will not make any more 32 bit CPU's
after
> 2005. They are going to have to lower the price a lot on the 64 bit
processors
> to sell them,and that will be at a loss just like the 32 bit versions.
These
> cheap AMD customers look mostly at the price of the processor and dont wan
> spend over $50- $60 for one. The 64 bit CPU's will never even be close to
that

Sure they will. Move them to 90nm (in current transition), and they'll
get more from a wafer. Remember, when the 32-bit chips were released, they
had large, expensive dies, and cost lots of money, too.

> so,they will keep selling what the public wants,cheap 32 bit processors.
64
> bit programs are a long ways off,even the AMD spokes person admitted
that,years
> away not the end of 2005, so nobody will even want the high priced 64 bit
CPU's
> when there are cheap 32 bit ones are available.

People may not have 64-bit programs, but they'll like the benefits of an
embedded dual-channel memory interface and a higher clock speed - and that
will only come in the 64-bit chips. That's why AMD never ramped up the
32-bit line any farther, they wanted to take away any further incentive to
stay away from the 64-bit line. They've bet the farm on the Athlon 64, and
it's paid off. They're going to keep gradually giving people less and less
reason to stay with the Athlon. And when Longhorn comes out, I doubt that
the Athlon XPs are going to be the "chip of choice" to upgrade to....

steve

"rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/19/amd_price_cuts/
>
> What's this about discontinuing some XP-M models tho?
>
> rms
Check the AMD site itself, and look in Processors - Processor Pricing.

The range is not nearly as diminished as that article suggests.

JW

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

bingo, no not yet is why i even ask, so what's the deal right now? mobile,
45w? is anyone here still overclocking? i mean gawd damn what's this groups
name now? has it changed or something? naw, i know what's going on, i see it
all the time on alt, sheesh...

"John Whitworth" <j_dublevay@yarhooh.co.uk> wrote in message

> "rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/19/amd_price_cuts/
> >
> > What's this about discontinuing some XP-M models tho?
> >
> > rms
> Check the AMD site itself, and look in Processors - Processor Pricing.
>
> The range is not nearly as diminished as that article suggests.
>
> JW

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

well, thanks, looks like i'll do better posting in alt.overclocking with the
intel boys, at one time they had there heads up there ass, times change i
see, hope you fan boys feel better real soon, dream on...

"Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message
> Steve Wolfe wrote:
> >>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/19/amd_price_cuts/
> >>
> >>What's this about discontinuing some XP-M models tho?
> >

> > AMD wants to get rid of the 32-bit line in favor of the 64-bit line,
> > they've been saying that forever. They're just slowly whittling down
their
> > 32-bit offerings to get to that point.
>
> Newegg is as I write selling the 32-bit 2800+ Retail for $147 and the
> 64-bit 2800+ Retail for $141.

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

"Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message
> Steve Wolfe wrote:
>>>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/19/amd_price_cuts/
>>>
>>>What's this about discontinuing some XP-M models tho?
>>

>> AMD wants to get rid of the 32-bit line in favor of the 64-bit line,
>> they've been saying that forever. They're just slowly whittling down
>> their
>> 32-bit offerings to get to that point.
>
> Newegg is as I write selling the 32-bit 2800+ Retail for $147 and the
> 64-bit 2800+ Retail for $141.

From the point of view of building a new PC, anyone would have to be
*insane* to base it on a 32bit XP.

The only role for those chips nowadays is lowest-possible-cost workstation
to do email etc only. Anything else, should be 64-bit. Why? because its
no more expensive, the performance is as good or better (and will get better
still when 64-bit windows arrives) and its much more future proof.

***However***

The situation is a lot more difficult if you already have a decent 32 bit
PC. I would like to move to 64bit myself. I have a 32 bit XP running
2400MHz and its probably the weakest link in my system. (I have 2 x Raptors
in Raid0, a GF6800 running 440/1150MHz and 1 GB of ram.) Most of the
benchies I run come out real well on disk & graphics and only "fair" on CPU.

But what cost for me to upgrade my CPU? Well to make it worthwhile, I would
have to go for perhaps an Athlon 3800 or above. I would need a new
motherboard. And a new heatsink and fan (and a good one too - I have a
decent Thermalright job at the moment). And maybe even another 1GB
registered memory if I went for an FX CPU. I am looking at perhaps $1,000
simply to give me a 30 ~ 40% CPU speed boost, and maybe an overall 10%
system speed improvement.

I can't possibly justify it.

Chip

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

boy this group has changed, this was overclocking.amd, now it's deep
pockets.amd, get a grip man, like there's nothing but 64bit and ALL the
software for it now, sheesh, give me a break...

"Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message

> "Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message

> >> AMD wants to get rid of the 32-bit line in favor of the 64-bit line,
> >> they've been saying that forever. They're just slowly whittling down
> >> their
> >> 32-bit offerings to get to that point.
> >
> > Newegg is as I write selling the 32-bit 2800+ Retail for $147 and the
> > 64-bit 2800+ Retail for $141.
>
> From the point of view of building a new PC, anyone would have to be
> *insane* to base it on a 32bit XP.
>
> The only role for those chips nowadays is lowest-possible-cost workstation
> to do email etc only. Anything else, should be 64-bit. Why? because its
> no more expensive, the performance is as good or better (and will get
better
> still when 64-bit windows arrives) and its much more future proof.
>
> ***However***
>
> The situation is a lot more difficult if you already have a decent 32 bit
> PC. I would like to move to 64bit myself. I have a 32 bit XP running
> 2400MHz and its probably the weakest link in my system. (I have 2 x
Raptors
> in Raid0, a GF6800 running 440/1150MHz and 1 GB of ram.) Most of the
> benchies I run come out real well on disk & graphics and only "fair" on
CPU.

> But what cost for me to upgrade my CPU? Well to make it worthwhile, I
would
> have to go for perhaps an Athlon 3800 or above. I would need a new
> motherboard. And a new heatsink and fan (and a good one too - I have a
> decent Thermalright job at the moment). And maybe even another 1GB
> registered memory if I went for an FX CPU. I am looking at perhaps $1,000
> simply to give me a 30 ~ 40% CPU speed boost, and maybe an overall 10%
> system speed improvement.
>
> I can't possibly justify it.
>
> Chip

> From the point of view of building a new PC, anyone would have to be
> *insane* to base it on a 32bit XP.
>
> The only role for those chips nowadays is lowest-possible-cost workstation
> to do email etc only. Anything else, should be 64-bit. Why? because its
> no more expensive, the performance is as good or better (and will get
better
> still when 64-bit windows arrives) and its much more future proof.

It's going to be a long time before theres software and drivers available for
64 bit for a 64 bit only system. Building a 32 bit sytem right makes a lot of
good sense,although the 64 bit processors work fine with 32 bit programs. AMD
is going to have a hard time selling processors over $100,their customer base
are cheapskates and wont anty up for $150 64 bit processors. They dont want to
spend over $150 for the processor and motherboard,much less just the processor.

Expert
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

For most businesses in general a low cost work station is a pIII 700Mhz to
1000Mhz with SDRAM on a integrated motherboard. The software that is used
is in most workstations excluding CAD stations is generally two years to
three years old with Windows 2000 or Win XP (no SP2) OS. AMD business work
stations that I have seen consist of a 1700+ to 1800+ processor with 256 MB
of DDR 2100 on an integrated MB. There are a lot of businesses right now
that are holding computer cost to a minimum buying used parts or computers
because there software will run on the machine.

What I see right now is the engineering used on computer hardware has
advanced at an accelerated pace and software engineering has lagged behind
due to customer demands. AMD could be cutting there own neck by pushing
AMD64 Technology, as long as sales remain high as well as the price it will
be good for AMD. The market for the AMD64 has not yet been saturated. Once
the high end consumers complete there buying and AMD no longer has XP
versions available the price will have to be lowered and assuming Intel
knows this they could lower the price on there P4's forcing additional
pressure on AMD's pricing before the release of there new generation of
Intel processors, which they have put on hold for now.

I believe that until there is a need via software or server integration
there will still be allot of pIII in workstations around the country. Top
level management and engineering will always have the latest and greatest
systems but the majority of workstations go to the general worker who has
limited need for a AMD64 system or for a P4 system. (MS office 2002, a few
in house programs, possibly some type of older CAD programs) The same could
be said for the general house hold internet user, excluding gamers. Most
house holds have a low end P4 system or AMD XP system running windows 98 or
XP.

Just wait a year and pricing on the AMD64's will drop much more as the high
end market becomes saturated, the XP's become hard to find, and Intel
decides to release it's new processor technology. I believe that it would
be in the best interest of AMD to continue there line of high end and mobil
XP processors until Intel releases there next generation of processors and
AMD should continue to develop their server line of processors such as the
dual core technology. The game is not just pricing or technology but that
of a mind set. The pIII will have to be replaced in the next year or two
due to the availability of replacement parts and the AMD XP systems would be
a excellent price value replacement and the AMD will capture the mind set of
many potential workstation buyers, which is currently held by Intel.

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:25:06 +0100, Chip wrote:

> But what cost for me to upgrade my CPU? Well to make it worthwhile, I would
> have to go for perhaps an Athlon 3800 or above. I would need a new
> motherboard. And a new heatsink and fan (and a good one too - I have a
> decent Thermalright job at the moment). And maybe even another 1GB
> registered memory if I went for an FX CPU. I am looking at perhaps $1,000
> simply to give me a 30 ~ 40% CPU speed boost, and maybe an overall 10%
> system speed improvement.
>
> I can't possibly justify it.

Well, it's a proven fact that the dual memory of the 939 board doesn't
provide much of a boost in cpu's running at the same clockspeed. In fact ,
the 754 beats the 939 in some benchmarks. And while AMD is raising the PR
ratings up to a 4000+ for a 2.4GHz cpu with 1M cache over the 3800+ with
512K, it's all a PR numbers gane, In fact, an overclocked Sempron 3100+ on
a 754 board will perform within 90% of the the speed of the "new" 939
4000+. With a MB with a PCI lock, the Sempron overclocked to 2.5GHz
without even changing the default 1.4v (1.5v is the default for my A64
3000+) and put it faster than the 3700+. IMO 939 is not a viable option.
And a good 754 board (with PCI lock) and Sempron 3100+ can be had for
about $200. If you need 64bit, then one of the newer A64 2800+'s should do
about the same for about $20 more. FWIW, I run my A64 3000+ at 800MHz and
1.3v most of the time.

[root@wes2 wes]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 15
model : 4
model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+
stepping : 8
cpu MHz : 799.935
cache size : 512 KB

[root@wes2 wes]# sensors
it87-isa-0290
Adapter: ISA adapter
VCore 1: +1.28 V (min = +1.12 V, max = +1.79 V)
VCore 2: +1.52 V (min = +1.41 V, max = +1.70 V)
+3.3V: +3.25 V (min = +2.98 V, max = +3.63 V)
+5V: +4.97 V (min = +4.49 V, max = +5.51 V)
+12V: +11.84 V (min = +10.82 V, max = +13.18 V)
-12V: -11.40 V (min = -10.83 V, max = -13.19 V)
-5V: -4.97 V (min = -4.54 V, max = -5.47 V)
Stdby: +5.03 V (min = +4.49 V, max = +5.51 V)
VBat: +3.15 V
fan1: 2311 RPM (min = 0 RPM, div = 8)
fan2: 0 RPM (min = 0 RPM, div = 8)
fan3: 0 RPM (min = 0 RPM, div = 8)
CPU Temp: +32°C (low = +15°C, high = +55°C) sensor = diode
M/B Temp: +28°C (low = +15°C, high = +40°C) sensor =
thermistor

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"Joe_Z" <yaya@naha.org> wrote in message
> boy this group has changed, this was overclocking.amd, now it's deep
> pockets.amd, get a grip man, like there's nothing but 64bit and ALL the
> software for it now, sheesh, give me a break...

Sorry, what's your point?

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

> "Joe_Z" <yaya@naha.org> wrote in message
>> boy this group has changed, this was overclocking.amd, now it's deep
>> pockets.amd, get a grip man, like there's nothing but 64bit and ALL the
>> software for it now, sheesh, give me a break...
>

> Sorry, what's your point?

Actually, don't bother answering. I just read some of your other posts.

Goodbye top-posting wanker

<plonk>

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

dua, witspew... at least i have sometging to wank, change that kotex your
intelect is showing, fudge packer...

> "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Joe_Z" <yaya@naha.org> wrote in message
> >> boy this group has changed, this was overclocking.amd, now it's deep
> >> pockets.amd, get a grip man, like there's nothing but 64bit and ALL the
> >> software for it now, sheesh, give me a break...
> >

> > Sorry, what's your point?
>
> Actually, don't bother answering. I just read some of your other posts.
>
> Goodbye top-posting wanker
>
> <plonk>

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

> bingo, no not yet is why i even ask, so what's the deal right now? mobile,
> 45w? is anyone here still overclocking? i mean gawd damn what's this
groups
> name now? has it changed or something? naw, i know what's going on, i see
it
> all the time on alt, sheesh...

Go away troll....

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:04:26 -0600, "Steve Wolfe"
<unt@see-signature.com> wrote:

>> There will be 32 bit AMD processors for years to come.
>
> Not very likely. They've said they're going to stop making them, and
>they've been whittling down the 32-bit line quite regularly. There's no
>indication that they're going to turn around.
>
>> Only a
>> very small percentage of the processor sales are 64 bit,mabey 1 or 2 % if
>that.
>> They have to make them available to people that will be still using 32 bit
>> systems,hell you can still buy PIII's and they have been obsolete for
>years.
>
>http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,113516,00.asp

That story is almost 2 years old. A lifetime in this business.
Heck, at first I thought it was an April Fools Joke story, because
the byline was from the COMDEX show.

> bingo, no not yet is why i even ask, so what's the deal right now? mobile,
> 45w? is anyone here still overclocking? i mean gawd damn what's this
> groups
> name now? has it changed or something? naw, i know what's going on, i see
> it
> all the time on alt, sheesh...

I am afraid that in order to communicate with an international community you
will have to refrain from using whatever colloquialisms you would use when
talking to acquaintances in your locality and use English. This means
writing proper sentences and using words that can be found in a dictionary.

It seems highly likely that your attempts at trolling fail due to no-one
understanding what on earth you going on about.

for example, what does

"you new spew guys are fan boys for damn sure..." mean?
- Is this some sort of insult?

"dua, witspew... at least i have sometging to wank, change that kotex your
intelect is showing, fudge packer..."
- "dua"? "witspew"? "kotex"? - but "fudge packer" I have heard before

"times change i see, hope you fan boys feel better real soon, dream on..."
- fan boys again - still no idea what it means

"alt, sheesh..."? - not got a clue what you mean.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

whaa?? who are you? better yet, wtf are you? some makeshift mod? LOL... get
a grip spewit :) LOLLA!

oh wow...man, those big words make me diszy wizzy, you sure can cut'n paste
pretty ;^p Geee! LOL....