Wireless Intellimouse is scrolling erratically

I have a Microsoft Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0 (Model # 1007). It is
about a year old and has been working great. Recently, the mouse batteries
got low, so I changed them. Within a few days of changing the batteries,
any windows with more than one screen scroll around like crazy. I can't use
even use Visio or PowerPoint when this happens. It will go this way for a
while and then it will clear up. And, here is the crazy part, the
scrolling keeps on going even if I pull the batteries out of the mouse.

Here is what I have done so far:
Rebooted a couple of times
Changed the batteries TWO MORE TIMES
Disabled vertical scrolling in the Mouse applet in Control Panel
Updated to the latest version of the mouse drivers (IP5_2Eng.exe
download from Microsoft this week)

I'm at wits end. Any thoughts?

--
Jim McBee
Blog: http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com

I had a similar problem a while ago, and finally solved it by moving the
transmitter to a level above the keyboard and mouse.