Plz help check my parts for first PC build

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
October 21, 2004 2:20:42 AM

Hi.
I'm about to order all the parts to attempt to build myself a new PC
Would really appreciate some help!! Please..
I'm really worried about a few things, mainly, will everything be
compatible, especially the Motherboard, CPU, RAM, and HDD.
I'm also worried about what cables i may need, and if I have everything for
the BFG graphics card that I'm planning to get.
The system requirements for it are confusing me as to whether i will need to
order extra cables etc, and even get a bigger PSU.

BFG System Requirements:
A minimum 480W system power supply, An AGP 2.0 (or higher) compliant,
motherboard. Some motherboards violate the AGP specification and therefore
this card may not physically fit in some systems. A vacant PCI slot adjacent
to the AGP slot. This board occupies two slots: one AGP and one PCI. Two
available hard disk drive power dongles (smaller floppy disk drive connector
is not sufficient).

For instance, it says 2 available hard disk drive power dongles?? Where do I
order these from? or will they be included with my PSU?
Also, will my Mother board be AGP 2.0 compliant?
-
The parts i have ready to order:

Motherboard:
Abit AV8 SKT939 K8T800PRO 800FSB 8xAGP SATA Sound GIG LAN Retail Box
from here:
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?acti...
More info here:
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?catego...

PSU
Antec PSU True Blue 480w Blue Led Fan
from here:
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?acti...
Will it be powerful enough and have enough cables for the BFG and everything
else???

MEMORY
I'll be getting this: Kingston 1GB 400MHz DDR Non-ECC CL3 (3-3-3) DIMM (Kit
2)
From:
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?acti...
As far as i can see, it will be compatible with the motherboard.

CASE
The case I will be getting is this: Antec Plusview 1000 4x5.25 5x3.5 ATX
Tower Case with Side Window
From here:
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?acti...
It says compliant for AMD so i'm hoping it will be ok.

CPU
Athlon 64 3500+ S939 512Kb Box
From here:
http://www.dabs.com/uk/Search2/Product+Details.htm?quic...

HDD
Western Digital WD2000JD 200GB Serial ATA150 7200rpm 8mb Cache- OEM
from here:
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?acti...

Cables so far:
1x Belkin Serial ATA 2.0 7-pin Cable - Red 18" for the hard drive. Will i
need any more?
1x Ebuyer AC Power Lead (Kettle Type) Suitable for ATX PSU
1x Ebuyer 6" Internal Power Y Splitter Cable

I'm worried i'm going to receive all the parts, and then have to order
more..

By the way, how good will the sound be on the motherboard, would it support
dolby 5.1? I'm going to order some 5.1 speakers.
Also, i'm wondering about will i need any ports? usb like at the back of my
existing system? Or do they come with the case or motherboard?

Ive also got on my list to order, a monitor, anti static wrist band, windows
xp software, disk drives, sound card etc etc, but its the above that the
most important.

Many many thanks for any help.
If everything looks fine i'm going to order it as soon as.

Chris

More about : plz check parts build

October 21, 2004 1:04:25 PM

"Chris" <picturesofengland(on spami)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> 1x Ebuyer AC Power Lead (Kettle Type) Suitable for ATX PSU
> 1x Ebuyer 6" Internal Power Y Splitter Cable
>
> I'm worried i'm going to receive all the parts, and then have to order
> more..
>
> By the way, how good will the sound be on the motherboard, would it
> support
> dolby 5.1? I'm going to order some 5.1 speakers.
> Also, i'm wondering about will i need any ports? usb like at the back of
> my
> existing system? Or do they come with the case or motherboard?
>
> Ive also got on my list to order, a monitor, anti static wrist band,
> windows
> xp software, disk drives, sound card etc etc, but its the above that the
> most important.
>
> Many many thanks for any help.
> If everything looks fine i'm going to order it as soon as.

Hi Chris,

I gather from your post that perhaps you haven't built a PC before? If so,
don't be too worried about it - its really not that difficult and providing
you are careful I am sure everything will go smoothly.

You can debate all day long about whether Component A is better than
Component B, and I am sure you will have other posts saying "get this Power
Supply instead or get that motherboard instead. I am not going to do that.
The list of components you have put together seems pretty fair and I am sure
it will all work just fine.

The pointers I would offer you however are:

1. Double check on the cables etc. I would think the sata cable (for
example) will come with the motherboard and therefore you probably won't
need to buy one. Similarly, you don't need to buy a power lead. One will
come with the PSU. Likewise the y-splitter: I suspect the Antec will have
enough outputs to eliminate the need for that. Google should help you find
the information you need. Or you can always ask specific questions on
newsgroups such as here.

2. For a first attempt, buying a retail CPU is not a bad idea. But the
heatsink and fan that comes with them are usually pretty <ahem> average.
You may want to replace that in due course with something better. But I
would strongly recommend some Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound, instead of
the thermal pad supplied in your AMD CPU retail box. Thermal pads are
pretty dreadful and for only a few £'s you can get a tube of AS5 that will
do a much better job.

3. USB ports. You need to check exactly what ports are on the motherboard
backplate, and which are just pins on the motherboard. I would guess its
4+4, but I don't know without checking. I would also guess that your case
will have (2?) front mounted USB ports. You may or may not need a bracket
for the spare 2 usb ports. But this may come with your motherboard. Its
easy to check- search for reviews of your motherboard and see what they say
about what it comes with. Or perhaps download the manual and see if it has
a parts list.

In any event it doesn't really matter - you can always buy a bracket later
and "only" 6 usb ports to start with will hardly compromise your early
system-building efforts.

Good luck with it all and do let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Chip
!