How to boot Windows XP from the primary slave IDE channel

I have three PCs and a laptop. However, all have Ultra ATA IDE cables
on
the primary channel and old fashioned ATA IDE cables on the secondary
channel. So when my laptop hard drive began having problems, I could
use
my 2.5" IDE to 3.5" IDE converter to plug my laptop hard drive into the
primary IDE channel only because only the primary channels had enough
pins on the ATA IDE cable. I didn't want to move around too many cables
between computers or wait to buy another cable.

Laptop hard drives must be the master IDE device. So I needed a way to
boot Windows from the primary slave drive.

Windows can boot from NEITHER the primary slave NOR the secondary slave
without using a boot loader like GRUB.

After hours of searching the Internet, I planned:
1. to create a GRUB boot floppy
2. to change the jumpers to move my working, existing Windows desktop
hard drive to the primary slave, temporarily disconnecting
my primary slave operating Linux
3. to plug in the laptop hard drive using the 2.5" IDE to 3.5" IDE
converter as the primary master

As root, I created a GRUB boot floppy:

fdformat /dev/fd0H1440
mke2fs /dev/fd0
mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/floppy '(fd0)'
cp /boot/grub/grub.conf /mnt/floppy/boot/grub/grub.conf
umount /mnt/floppy

The grub-install generated grub entries for both Windows and Linux
because the computer already had Windows on the primary master and
Linux
on the primary slave drive.

I changed the jumpers to move my working, existing Windows desktop
hard drive to the primary slave and plugged in the laptop hard drive
using the 2.5" IDE to 3.5" IDE converter as the primary master.

As root using another Linux machine, I mounted the floppy and modified
the grub configurations to boot windows in the primary slave drive.
And unmounted the floppy

title Windows (on primary slave IDE drive)
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
boot

Then I inserted the GRUB boot diskette, booted the computer my desktop
version of Windows and accessed the files I needed from my laptop hard
drive.

Thankfully, I was able to recover all the files I needed!

Good luck....Philip.

<pjbondi@SystemDatabase.com> wrote:
> Laptop hard drives must be the master IDE device.

I am not familiar with laptops, but this is not true
for desktops, and I don't believe it's true for the
IDE standard spec either. Are you sure about that,
and what do you base your belief on?

> So I needed a way to
> boot Windows from the primary slave drive.
>
> Windows can boot from NEITHER the primary slave
> NOR the secondary slave without using a boot loader
> like GRUB.

This is not true for Windows XP as the OS's boot
loader can reside on *any* partition in *any* HD.
Firstly, the HD containing the boot loader (ntldr), the
boot menu (boot.ini), and ntdetect.com be at the
head of the BIOS's HD boot order. The *default* HD
for this is the Master HD on IDE channel 0.
But by keyboard input, the user can put *any* HD in
the system at the head of the BIOS's HD boot order.
Except for that DEFAULT arrangement of the BIOS's
HD boot order, there are no other consquences of a
HD being jumpered Master or Slave - the boot files
can just as easily be on a Slave HD, and the OS can
just as easily reside on a Slave HD.

Secondly, that head HD must have an MBR and the above
mentioned files must be in a partition marked "active",
and that partition must have a boot sector. These
requirements are already met in all Win2K/NT/XP OSes
that "boot".

Then, the partition containing the mentioned boot files
(called by MS the "system" partition, believe it or not),
can load the OS from *any* other partition in the system -
even from a logical parition (as opposed to a primary
partition). All that is necessary is that the "system"
partition's boot.ini file contain an entry pointing to the
partition in the system that that contains the OS. That
partition containing the OS is called the "boot" partition
by MS, believe it or not, and its entry can be selected
at boot time by keyboard input or by time-out.

So, assuming you could have both HDs recognized by
the BIOS, all you had to do to load an OS from the
2nd HD was to add an entry to the boot.ini file in the
OS running from the primary HD that pointed to the
2nd OS. This, in all likelyhood, would have only involved
copying the 1st entry and changing "rdisk(0)" to "rdisk(1)".
These are all part of the details involved in dual booting
or multi-booting.

*TimDaniels*

<pjbondi@SystemDatabase.com> wrote in message
>I have three PCs and a laptop. However, all have Ultra ATA IDE cables
> on
> the primary channel and old fashioned ATA IDE cables on the secondary
> channel. So when my laptop hard drive began having problems, I could
> use
> my 2.5" IDE to 3.5" IDE converter to plug my laptop hard drive into the
> primary IDE channel only because only the primary channels had enough
> pins on the ATA IDE cable.

Okay, this is where you lost me. ATA and ultra ATA cables have the same
number of pin connectors. I use my laptop adapter on both, with no problems.
Are you sure you weren't looking at a floppy cable?

Hi Philip -

Good information .. but you put yourself through a lot of work when you
could have simply set a jumper on the 2.5" drive.

Recent 2.5 inch drives have a jumper block which can be set. If there is no
jumper on the drive, generally it is addressed as Master. A jumper added to
the correct pins will cause the drive to be addressed as Slave.

Check the datasheet at the hard drive manufacturer web site to confirm.

The Hitachi 7K60, for example, will be addressed as a Slave drive with a
jumper added to the pins identified as A & B. See the datasheet:
http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/3BF2C1418D17D1C386256D1F0056CDEE/$file/T7K60_ps.pdf

Jef

br549

"Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®" <jefn_LurkingRatInDaHood_@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
message news:TsIRe.1062$ZL4.882@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com...
> Hi Philip -
>
> Good information .. but you put yourself through a lot of work when you
> could have simply set a jumper on the 2.5" drive.
>
> Recent 2.5 inch drives have a jumper block which can be set. If there is
> no
> jumper on the drive, generally it is addressed as Master. A jumper added
> the correct pins will cause the drive to be addressed as Slave.
>
> Check the datasheet at the hard drive manufacturer web site to confirm.
>
> The Hitachi 7K60, for example, will be addressed as a Slave drive with a
> jumper added to the pins identified as A & B. See the datasheet:
> http://www.hitachigst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/3BF2C1418D17D1C386256D1F0056CDEE/$file/T7K60_ps.pdf
>
> Jef

I agree, jumpering it as a slave would have been the simplest thing to do
but that is not just for recent drives. I have an IBM Travelstar that I
bought 5 years ago and it had that capability.

Does not you PC have 2 IDE channel? On normal desktop PCs, all the booting
is done from the primary master drive. However, some BIOS/CMOS can be
instructed to boot from one the other 3 ID connections (I done this on my
Asus P4B266-c before.)