comm port inop.

WinXpProSr2, Asus A8N-E, Athlon64 3800

I just built up a new system & I cannot get the comm port to work. I
use the comm port for talking to several pieces of electronic equipment,
and none can communicate with it.

As the simplest test, I've connected the machine to a single board
computer (SBC) with a null modem cable. When I start Hyperterm, and try
to connect to the SBC, CPU usage goes to 100%, and my system is almost
totally unresponsive until I can get hyperterm to disconnect. If I move
the cable from this new machine to my old Win98se machine, all works
fine. The old computer and the SBC happily exchange information. I
have configured the com port (com1) on the new machine exactly the same
as on the old machine.

The only other com port on the new machine is a modem, which is assigned
to com4.

Any ideas?

Howard Delman
--
Delman Design
Digital design from conception to production

peter

Hi,

I suggest you to check the mobo BIOS for the serial port setting. If it is
set for "Auto", change it to "Enable", save and exit BIOS setup and then
restart the PC again.

Hope it helps.

--
Peter

Peter wrote:

> I suggest you to check the mobo BIOS for the serial port setting. If it is
> set for "Auto", change it to "Enable", save and exit BIOS setup and then
> restart the PC again.

Peter,

Thanks for the suggestions. I checked the bios, and it is correctly set
to the proper com1 address of 0x03F8, with IRQ 4.

Howard

--
Delman Design
Digital design from conception to production
http://www.blueneptune.com/~delman

Try removing the modem and then check to sse if the comm1 works. Most
motherboard have automatic setting for two comm ports. They are normally
set for "Auto" and you should set one for Com 1 and turn off the second (Com
2).