XP2600+ on NF7S does not OC - Do I miss something?

JS

OK,
"does not overclock" is not entirely correct.
I'm getting a FSB of 172 MHz, anything higher is unstable.
I'm using 3200 Kingston ram and haven't fiddeled around with the voltage yet.

Any idea?

TIA

JensSchumi

LWFF Ball Bearing conversion at:
http://jensschumi<dot>bravepages<dot>com/

GPLRank: -14.82
Monsters of GPL: sub 95

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 13:28:37 +0000, JS wrote:

> OK,
> "does not overclock" is not entirely correct.
> I'm getting a FSB of 172 MHz, anything higher is unstable.
> I'm using 3200 Kingston ram and haven't fiddeled around with the voltage yet.
>
> Any idea?
You said it. Raise vcore and vdimm, lower ram timings, etc.

Apollo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 13:28:37 +0000, JS wrote:
>
>> OK,
>> "does not overclock" is not entirely correct.
>> I'm getting a FSB of 172 MHz, anything higher is unstable.
>> I'm using 3200 Kingston ram and haven't fiddeled around with the
>> voltage yet.
>>
>> Any idea?
> You said it. Raise vcore and vdimm, lower ram timings, etc.

Only raise vcore if your cooling is adequate, monitor the temperatures
with something like motherboard monitor. Raising the vcore is safe if
you can provide the extra cooling, excess temperature will severely
limit the chips ability to overclock and will possibly kill your
processor.

Post back with your case and socket temperatures at stock settings with
something like prime95 running to stress the system, then you can ask
for advice about your current cooling.

Also remember that the NF7-S (2) can only measure the socket temperature
and not the cpu core temperature, socket temp +10C ~=core temp.

Motherboard monitor;

Prime95;
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

HTH

--
Apollo

In article <417909c3.6376875@news.tm.net.my>, not@home.my
(JS) wrote:

> "does not overclock" is not entirely correct.

My NF7v2.0 behaves in a similar way no matter what tricks I
try. I got so annoyed in the end that I spent a lot of money
on (a) another CPU and (b) very good ram. Which didn't change
anything either :)

I eventually bought a DFI board which I could push to 250MHz
if I wanted. But the sad truth is that while high fsbs are
nice and can help performance by about 10% or so on a good
day, ultimately it's raw CPU MHz that counts most, and in
that respect you're not missing much. My advice is not to get
too hung up about fsb, just raise the CPU voltage a little
(if you have decent cooling) and push the multiplier as hard
as it'll go without becoming unstable. They're cheap enough
after all.

Andrew McP

not@home.my (JS) wrote in message news:<417909c3.6376875@news.tm.net.my>...
> OK,
> "does not overclock" is not entirely correct.
> I'm getting a FSB of 172 MHz, anything higher is unstable.
> I'm using 3200 Kingston ram and haven't fiddeled around with the voltage yet.
>
> Any idea?
>
> TIA

Check that your CPU FSB/DRAM ratio (in BIOS Soft Menu) is set to 6/6
(or any other divider equal to 1). If it's set to 'Auto' (which is
default) then the memory will be already running at 200MHz, so any FSB
overclock will be pushing the memory past it's maximum rated speed
which is likely to be your problem. With any luck at all once you have
set the FSB/DRAM ratio you should be able to reach 200MHz FSB without
increasing the Vcore very much if at all.

JS

Hmm,

sounds good.
Will do that and report back.

Anyhow, what are the temperature limits I should obey? My system is already at
socket temps of 54 degC, that is while I'm typing this lines.
My cooler is the best I could get here few years ago, a solid copper one.

Cya

Jens

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 21:06 +0100 (BST), andrew.mcp@DELETETHISdsl.pipex.com
(Andrew MacPherson) wrote:

>In article <417909c3.6376875@news.tm.net.my>, not@home.my
>(JS) wrote:
>
>> "does not overclock" is not entirely correct.
>
>My NF7v2.0 behaves in a similar way no matter what tricks I
>try. I got so annoyed in the end that I spent a lot of money
>on (a) another CPU and (b) very good ram. Which didn't change
>anything either :)
>
>I eventually bought a DFI board which I could push to 250MHz
>if I wanted. But the sad truth is that while high fsbs are
>nice and can help performance by about 10% or so on a good
>day, ultimately it's raw CPU MHz that counts most, and in
>that respect you're not missing much. My advice is not to get
>too hung up about fsb, just raise the CPU voltage a little
>(if you have decent cooling) and push the multiplier as hard
>as it'll go without becoming unstable. They're cheap enough
>after all.
>
>Andrew McP

LWFF Ball Bearing conversion at:
http://jensschumi<dot>bravepages<dot>com/

GPLRank: -14.82
Monsters of GPL: sub 95

Whats your mobo ?

Nf7-s 2.0 ?

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 13:28:37 GMT, not@home.my (JS) wrote:

>OK,
>"does not overclock" is not entirely correct.
>I'm getting a FSB of 172 MHz, anything higher is unstable.
>I'm using 3200 Kingston ram and haven't fiddeled around with the voltage yet.
>
>Any idea?
>
>TIA
>
>JensSchumi

>LWFF Ball Bearing conversion at:
>http://jensschumi<dot>bravepages<dot>com/
>
>GPLRank: -14.82
>Monsters of GPL: sub 95

JS

Yup.

In article <417ba5ee.530578@news.tm.net.my>, not@home.my (JS)
wrote:

> My system is already at
> socket temps of 54 degC

Personally I don't like to run much over 50 (reported by
motherboard monitor or whatever util you prefer) when idling.
And I always add 10C to temps to allow for a difference
between what's reported and what's actually happening in the
heart of the CPU.

Given that CPUs ought to be happy up to at least 80C (though
I'd never want to try it :) I think as long as you can stay
under 60C while running something like Prime95 to thrash the
CPU then you should be ok.

I've never run a CPU over 1.75V for long either when testing.
Generally I'd rather have it rock solid and cooler at 1.7V
than pushed hard to 1.8. The benefits are rarely worth the
effort, as my extensive and expensive research has proved to
me :)

Of course when Racing Legends is released we'll need to push
our CPUs as hard as possible. Not sure what processor that
will be though ;-)

Andrew McP

JS

Hehe, another racing maniac :)

I just tried a bit.
stock settings give me 61 deg under Prime . FYI: I'm in Malayia and we have a
typical ambient temp of 26 deg (AC on)
Was able to run 12.5x stable at 1.7V. Prime gives me a 64 deg.
I tried the 13x but at even up to 1.8 V the PC went south after short time.

Funny things are happening on the ram side.
I have to run my ram (2x3200 Kinston 256 MB) at very tame settings. Anything
higher than "optimal" (7,3,3,2.5) and my rig doesn't even reach the bios.

That was definately different before I started testing :-(

JS

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 07:42 +0100 (BST), andrew.mcp@DELETETHISdsl.pipex.com
(Andrew MacPherson) wrote:

>In article <417ba5ee.530578@news.tm.net.my>, not@home.my (JS)
>wrote:
>
>> My system is already at
>> socket temps of 54 degC
>
>Personally I don't like to run much over 50 (reported by
>motherboard monitor or whatever util you prefer) when idling.
>And I always add 10C to temps to allow for a difference
>between what's reported and what's actually happening in the
>heart of the CPU.
>
>Given that CPUs ought to be happy up to at least 80C (though
>I'd never want to try it :) I think as long as you can stay
>under 60C while running something like Prime95 to thrash the
>CPU then you should be ok.
>
>I've never run a CPU over 1.75V for long either when testing.
>Generally I'd rather have it rock solid and cooler at 1.7V
>than pushed hard to 1.8. The benefits are rarely worth the
>effort, as my extensive and expensive research has proved to
>me :)
>
>Of course when Racing Legends is released we'll need to push
>our CPUs as hard as possible. Not sure what processor that
>will be though ;-)
>
>Andrew McP

LWFF Ball Bearing conversion at:
http://jensschumi<dot>bravepages<dot>com/

GPLRank: -14.82
Monsters of GPL: sub 95

JS

Now that's interesting.
Have seen the "Memory DDR 400" popping up frequently before BIOS (and before
hanging ;-)

Do you know what the entry "CPU Interface" in Softmenu means?
It sounds like this thing must be enabled to allow any o/c tweaking at all. But
from what I see I can already tweak everything without having CPU interface
enabled.

Any idea?

TIA

Jens

JensSchumi_not@home (JS) wrote in message news:<417b12cb.21910225@news.tm.net.my>...
> Now that's interesting.
> Have seen the "Memory DDR 400" popping up frequently before BIOS (and before
> hanging ;-)
>
> Do you know what the entry "CPU Interface" in Softmenu means?
> It sounds like this thing must be enabled to allow any o/c tweaking at all. But
> from what I see I can already tweak everything without having CPU interface
> enabled.
>
> Any idea?
>
> TIA
>
> Jens

Thge CPU interface setting adjusts chip-set timings. 'Enabled' used
faster (but possibly less stable timings), disabled uses the most
stable timings. You should be able to run enabled ok.

In article <417a096b.19510404@news.tm.net.my>,
JensSchumi_not@home (JS) wrote:

> FYI: I'm in Malayia and we have a
> typical ambient temp of 26 deg (AC on)

Ambient temp is a very big factor. I suggest moving to the UK
where ambient temp is now 16C and falling... quickly :)

> Anything higher than "optimal" (7,3,3,2.5) and my
> rig doesn't even reach the bios.
> That was definately different before I started
> testing :-(

There are so many variables when overclocking it can be a
nightmare working out what is happening. WinXP is very
sensitive to memory problems. Motherboards seem to get pretty
easily confused even when working within limits that seem to
be within the spec of all components. And RAM is a law unto
itself if you ask me. Specs seem to mean different things
depending upon which motherboard you use and which way the
wind is blowing :).

As I said, I spent a lot of time and effort trying to
understand all this, and my conclusion is that sometimes you
get lucky and have a combination of hardware that works well
together. But sometimes you just find stable zones where
things work well and once you stray out of those zones the
headaches start.

For instance, I mentioned my DFI motherboard/ That will work
pretty solidly at 250fsb. But between 210 and 245 it's pretty
unstable no matter how I fiddle with the settings. Once under
200 it's stable again. It was after this experience that I
decided to leave it at 166x13.5 and just enjoy the fact that
the PC's perfectly stable and handles everything I can throw
at it well.

Mind you, the x800 Pro probably helps ;-)

I still enjoy the idea of getting more out of my hardware
than I paid for, but it's easy to start feeling "I'm missing
out on something!" when actually you're mostly missing out on
more headaches than performance.

Andrew McP