XP2600+ on NF7S does not OC - Do I miss something?

OK,
"does not overclock" is not entirely correct.
I'm getting a FSB of 172 MHz, anything higher is unstable.
I'm using 3200 Kingston ram and haven't fiddeled around with the voltage yet.

Any idea?

TIA

JensSchumi

LWFF Ball Bearing conversion at:
http://jensschumi<dot>bravepages<dot>com/

GPLRank: -14.82
Monsters of GPL: sub 95
12 answers Last reply
More about xp2600 nf7s miss something

    On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 13:28:37 +0000, JS wrote:

    > OK,
    > "does not overclock" is not entirely correct.
    > I'm getting a FSB of 172 MHz, anything higher is unstable.
    > I'm using 3200 Kingston ram and haven't fiddeled around with the voltage yet.
    >
    > Any idea?
    You said it. Raise vcore and vdimm, lower ram timings, etc.

    "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 13:28:37 +0000, JS wrote:
    >
    >> OK,
    >> "does not overclock" is not entirely correct.
    >> I'm getting a FSB of 172 MHz, anything higher is unstable.
    >> I'm using 3200 Kingston ram and haven't fiddeled around with the
    >> voltage yet.
    >>
    >> Any idea?
    > You said it. Raise vcore and vdimm, lower ram timings, etc.

    Only raise vcore if your cooling is adequate, monitor the temperatures
    with something like motherboard monitor. Raising the vcore is safe if
    you can provide the extra cooling, excess temperature will severely
    limit the chips ability to overclock and will possibly kill your
    processor.

    Post back with your case and socket temperatures at stock settings with
    something like prime95 running to stress the system, then you can ask
    for advice about your current cooling.

    Also remember that the NF7-S (2) can only measure the socket temperature
    and not the cpu core temperature, socket temp +10C ~=core temp.

    Motherboard monitor;

    Prime95;
    http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

    HTH

    --
    Apollo

    In article <417909c3.6376875@news.tm.net.my>, not@home.my
    (JS) wrote:

    > "does not overclock" is not entirely correct.

    My NF7v2.0 behaves in a similar way no matter what tricks I
    try. I got so annoyed in the end that I spent a lot of money
    on (a) another CPU and (b) very good ram. Which didn't change
    anything either :-)

    I eventually bought a DFI board which I could push to 250MHz
    if I wanted. But the sad truth is that while high fsbs are
    nice and can help performance by about 10% or so on a good
    day, ultimately it's raw CPU MHz that counts most, and in
    that respect you're not missing much. My advice is not to get
    too hung up about fsb, just raise the CPU voltage a little
    (if you have decent cooling) and push the multiplier as hard
    as it'll go without becoming unstable. They're cheap enough
    after all.

    Andrew McP

    not@home.my (JS) wrote in message news:<417909c3.6376875@news.tm.net.my>...
    > OK,
    > "does not overclock" is not entirely correct.
    > I'm getting a FSB of 172 MHz, anything higher is unstable.
    > I'm using 3200 Kingston ram and haven't fiddeled around with the voltage yet.
    >
    > Any idea?
    >
    > TIA

    Check that your CPU FSB/DRAM ratio (in BIOS Soft Menu) is set to 6/6
    (or any other divider equal to 1). If it's set to 'Auto' (which is
    default) then the memory will be already running at 200MHz, so any FSB
    overclock will be pushing the memory past it's maximum rated speed
    which is likely to be your problem. With any luck at all once you have
    set the FSB/DRAM ratio you should be able to reach 200MHz FSB without
    increasing the Vcore very much if at all.

    Hmm,

    sounds good.
    Will do that and report back.

    Anyhow, what are the temperature limits I should obey? My system is already at
    socket temps of 54 degC, that is while I'm typing this lines.
    My cooler is the best I could get here few years ago, a solid copper one.

    Cya

    Jens

    On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 21:06 +0100 (BST), andrew.mcp@DELETETHISdsl.pipex.com
    (Andrew MacPherson) wrote:

    >In article <417909c3.6376875@news.tm.net.my>, not@home.my
    >(JS) wrote:
    >
    >> "does not overclock" is not entirely correct.
    >
    >My NF7v2.0 behaves in a similar way no matter what tricks I
    >try. I got so annoyed in the end that I spent a lot of money
    >on (a) another CPU and (b) very good ram. Which didn't change
    >anything either :-)
    >
    >I eventually bought a DFI board which I could push to 250MHz
    >if I wanted. But the sad truth is that while high fsbs are
    >nice and can help performance by about 10% or so on a good
    >day, ultimately it's raw CPU MHz that counts most, and in
    >that respect you're not missing much. My advice is not to get
    >too hung up about fsb, just raise the CPU voltage a little
    >(if you have decent cooling) and push the multiplier as hard
    >as it'll go without becoming unstable. They're cheap enough
    >after all.
    >
    >Andrew McP

    LWFF Ball Bearing conversion at:
    http://jensschumi<dot>bravepages<dot>com/

    GPLRank: -14.82
    Monsters of GPL: sub 95

    Whats your mobo ?

    Nf7-s 2.0 ?

    On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 13:28:37 GMT, not@home.my (JS) wrote:

    >OK,
    >"does not overclock" is not entirely correct.
    >I'm getting a FSB of 172 MHz, anything higher is unstable.
    >I'm using 3200 Kingston ram and haven't fiddeled around with the voltage yet.
    >
    >Any idea?
    >
    >TIA
    >
    >JensSchumi

    >LWFF Ball Bearing conversion at:
    >http://jensschumi<dot>bravepages<dot>com/
    >
    >GPLRank: -14.82
    >Monsters of GPL: sub 95

    Yup.

    On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 02:44:56 +1000, Its JUST ME!!! <1@2.com> wrote:

    >Whats your mobo ?
    >
    >Nf7-s 2.0 ?

    LWFF Ball Bearing conversion at:
    http://jensschumi<dot>bravepages<dot>com/

    GPLRank: -14.82
    Monsters of GPL: sub 95
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    In article <417ba5ee.530578@news.tm.net.my>, not@home.my (JS)
    wrote:

    > My system is already at
    > socket temps of 54 degC

    Personally I don't like to run much over 50 (reported by
    motherboard monitor or whatever util you prefer) when idling.
    And I always add 10C to temps to allow for a difference
    between what's reported and what's actually happening in the
    heart of the CPU.

    Given that CPUs ought to be happy up to at least 80C (though
    I'd never want to try it :-) I think as long as you can stay
    under 60C while running something like Prime95 to thrash the
    CPU then you should be ok.

    I've never run a CPU over 1.75V for long either when testing.
    Generally I'd rather have it rock solid and cooler at 1.7V
    than pushed hard to 1.8. The benefits are rarely worth the
    effort, as my extensive and expensive research has proved to
    me :-)

    Of course when Racing Legends is released we'll need to push
    our CPUs as hard as possible. Not sure what processor that
    will be though ;-)

    Andrew McP
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Hehe, another racing maniac :-)

    I just tried a bit.
    stock settings give me 61 deg under Prime . FYI: I'm in Malayia and we have a
    typical ambient temp of 26 deg (AC on)
    Was able to run 12.5x stable at 1.7V. Prime gives me a 64 deg.
    I tried the 13x but at even up to 1.8 V the PC went south after short time.

    Funny things are happening on the ram side.
    I have to run my ram (2x3200 Kinston 256 MB) at very tame settings. Anything
    higher than "optimal" (7,3,3,2.5) and my rig doesn't even reach the bios.

    That was definately different before I started testing :-(

    JS

    On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 07:42 +0100 (BST), andrew.mcp@DELETETHISdsl.pipex.com
    (Andrew MacPherson) wrote:

    >In article <417ba5ee.530578@news.tm.net.my>, not@home.my (JS)
    >wrote:
    >
    >> My system is already at
    >> socket temps of 54 degC
    >
    >Personally I don't like to run much over 50 (reported by
    >motherboard monitor or whatever util you prefer) when idling.
    >And I always add 10C to temps to allow for a difference
    >between what's reported and what's actually happening in the
    >heart of the CPU.
    >
    >Given that CPUs ought to be happy up to at least 80C (though
    >I'd never want to try it :-) I think as long as you can stay
    >under 60C while running something like Prime95 to thrash the
    >CPU then you should be ok.
    >
    >I've never run a CPU over 1.75V for long either when testing.
    >Generally I'd rather have it rock solid and cooler at 1.7V
    >than pushed hard to 1.8. The benefits are rarely worth the
    >effort, as my extensive and expensive research has proved to
    >me :-)
    >
    >Of course when Racing Legends is released we'll need to push
    >our CPUs as hard as possible. Not sure what processor that
    >will be though ;-)
    >
    >Andrew McP

    LWFF Ball Bearing conversion at:
    http://jensschumi<dot>bravepages<dot>com/

    GPLRank: -14.82
    Monsters of GPL: sub 95
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Now that's interesting.
    Have seen the "Memory DDR 400" popping up frequently before BIOS (and before
    hanging ;-)

    Do you know what the entry "CPU Interface" in Softmenu means?
    It sounds like this thing must be enabled to allow any o/c tweaking at all. But
    from what I see I can already tweak everything without having CPU interface
    enabled.

    Any idea?

    TIA

    Jens

    On 22 Oct 2004 23:50:26 -0700, Big_badger@btinternet.com (Bigbadger) wrote:

    >not@home.my (JS) wrote in message news:<417909c3.6376875@news.tm.net.my>...
    >> OK,
    >> "does not overclock" is not entirely correct.
    >> I'm getting a FSB of 172 MHz, anything higher is unstable.
    >> I'm using 3200 Kingston ram and haven't fiddeled around with the voltage yet.
    >>
    >> Any idea?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >Check that your CPU FSB/DRAM ratio (in BIOS Soft Menu) is set to 6/6
    >(or any other divider equal to 1). If it's set to 'Auto' (which is
    >default) then the memory will be already running at 200MHz, so any FSB
    >overclock will be pushing the memory past it's maximum rated speed
    >which is likely to be your problem. With any luck at all once you have
    >set the FSB/DRAM ratio you should be able to reach 200MHz FSB without
    >increasing the Vcore very much if at all.

    LWFF Ball Bearing conversion at:
    http://jensschumi<dot>bravepages<dot>com/

    GPLRank: -14.82
    Monsters of GPL: sub 95
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    JensSchumi_not@home (JS) wrote in message news:<417b12cb.21910225@news.tm.net.my>...
    > Now that's interesting.
    > Have seen the "Memory DDR 400" popping up frequently before BIOS (and before
    > hanging ;-)
    >
    > Do you know what the entry "CPU Interface" in Softmenu means?
    > It sounds like this thing must be enabled to allow any o/c tweaking at all. But
    > from what I see I can already tweak everything without having CPU interface
    > enabled.
    >
    > Any idea?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Jens

    Thge CPU interface setting adjusts chip-set timings. 'Enabled' used
    faster (but possibly less stable timings), disabled uses the most
    stable timings. You should be able to run enabled ok.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    In article <417a096b.19510404@news.tm.net.my>,
    JensSchumi_not@home (JS) wrote:

    > FYI: I'm in Malayia and we have a
    > typical ambient temp of 26 deg (AC on)

    Ambient temp is a very big factor. I suggest moving to the UK
    where ambient temp is now 16C and falling... quickly :-)

    > Anything higher than "optimal" (7,3,3,2.5) and my
    > rig doesn't even reach the bios.
    > That was definately different before I started
    > testing :-(

    There are so many variables when overclocking it can be a
    nightmare working out what is happening. WinXP is very
    sensitive to memory problems. Motherboards seem to get pretty
    easily confused even when working within limits that seem to
    be within the spec of all components. And RAM is a law unto
    itself if you ask me. Specs seem to mean different things
    depending upon which motherboard you use and which way the
    wind is blowing :-).

    As I said, I spent a lot of time and effort trying to
    understand all this, and my conclusion is that sometimes you
    get lucky and have a combination of hardware that works well
    together. But sometimes you just find stable zones where
    things work well and once you stray out of those zones the
    headaches start.

    For instance, I mentioned my DFI motherboard/ That will work
    pretty solidly at 250fsb. But between 210 and 245 it's pretty
    unstable no matter how I fiddle with the settings. Once under
    200 it's stable again. It was after this experience that I
    decided to leave it at 166x13.5 and just enjoy the fact that
    the PC's perfectly stable and handles everything I can throw
    at it well.

    Mind you, the x800 Pro probably helps ;-)

    I still enjoy the idea of getting more out of my hardware
    than I paid for, but it's easy to start feeling "I'm missing
    out on something!" when actually you're mostly missing out on
    more headaches than performance.

    Andrew McP

AMD Overclocking Hardware Kingston