updating my mame32 roms with ClrMamePro

Last response: in Video Games
May 10, 2005 7:51:16 PM

hi, i have a question you guys might be able to help me with, i got a
fullset of mame32 v95 roms from a romburner a week or so ago, & today got an
update dvd to v96, now im guessing i cant just copy the new roms over the
old versions, so i downloaded clrmamepro, ive imported a dat file & im now
at the point where i can merge or rebuild but to be honest im confused by it
all, i dont want to ruin my romset, any help what i should do next? merge?
rebuild? im not new to mame32 but im new to clrmamepro.
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 8:55:46 PM

On Tue, 10 May 2005 15:51:16 +0100, "Laz3" <lazarou3@nildram.co.uk>
wrote:

>hi, i have a question you guys might be able to help me with, i got a
>fullset of mame32 v95 roms from a romburner a week or so ago, & today got an
>update dvd to v96, now im guessing i cant just copy the new roms over the
>old versions, so i downloaded clrmamepro, ive imported a dat file & im now
>at the point where i can merge or rebuild but to be honest im confused by it
>all, i dont want to ruin my romset, any help what i should do next? merge?
>rebuild? im not new to mame32 but im new to clrmamepro.

You could as a last resort rtfm :-)

However....

Use the Mame 0.96 executable file and create your own dat with
Clrmame
Now using the rebuilder.........
Have the 0.96 update as the source
Have your 0.95 existing rom path as the destination
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 9:48:00 PM

"Laz3" <lazarou3@nildram.co.uk> wrote in

> hi, i have a question you guys might be able to help me with, i got a
> fullset of mame32 v95 roms from a romburner a week or so ago, & today
> got an update dvd to v96, now im guessing i cant just copy the new
> roms over the old versions, so i downloaded clrmamepro, ive imported a
> dat file & im now at the point where i can merge or rebuild but to be
> honest im confused by it all, i dont want to ruin my romset, any help
> what i should do next? merge? rebuild? im not new to mame32 but im new
> to clrmamepro.

How about 'scan.' It'll tell you the changes, and you can decided if
you'd like to do it, or not.

--
Do you want a free iPod?
http://www.freeipods.com/?r=15154431

Peale schrieb:
> "Laz3" <lazarou3@nildram.co.uk> wrote in
>

>>hi, i have a question you guys might be able to help me with, i got a
>>fullset of mame32 v95 roms from a romburner a week or so ago, & today
>>got an update dvd to v96, now im guessing i cant just copy the new
>>roms over the old versions, so i downloaded clrmamepro, ive imported a
>>dat file & im now at the point where i can merge or rebuild but to be
>>honest im confused by it all, i dont want to ruin my romset, any help
>>what i should do next? merge? rebuild? im not new to mame32 but im new
>>to clrmamepro.
>

> How about 'scan.' It'll tell you the changes, and you can decided if
> you'd like to do it, or not.

Well....you need a scan anyway (depending on what the update dvd got...).

So:

Add the dvd files with the rebuilder to your collection, then do scan to
fix the rest.
May 10, 2005 11:23:07 PM

Laz3 wrote:
> hi, i have a question you guys might be able to help me with, i got a
> fullset of mame32 v95 roms from a romburner a week or so ago, & today got an
> update dvd to v96, now im guessing i cant just copy the new roms over the
> old versions, so i downloaded clrmamepro, ive imported a dat file & im now
> at the point where i can merge or rebuild but to be honest im confused by it
> all, i dont want to ruin my romset, any help what i should do next? merge?
> rebuild? im not new to mame32 but im new to clrmamepro.

Forget downloaded DATs to be honest, use the new MAME executable to
build a DAT rather than download one. What I do is set the path to your
MAME directory and do a full scan, I then drop my new sets into the
scan window (copy and paste) and it sorts it all out automatically.

MCR

--
MAME(TM) - History In The Making...
May 11, 2005 12:54:00 AM

* MCR Wrote in alt.games.mame:

> Laz3 wrote:
>> hi, i have a question you guys might be able to help me with, i
>> got a fullset of mame32 v95 roms from a romburner a week or so
>> ago, & today got an update dvd to v96, now im guessing i cant
>> just copy the new roms over the old versions, so i downloaded
>> clrmamepro, ive imported a dat file & im now at the point where i
>> can merge or rebuild but to be honest im confused by it all, i
>> dont want to ruin my romset, any help what i should do next?
>> merge? rebuild? im not new to mame32 but im new to clrmamepro.
>>

> Forget downloaded DATs to be honest, use the new MAME executable
> to build a DAT rather than download one. What I do is set the
> path to your MAME directory and do a full scan, I then drop my
> new sets into the scan window (copy and paste) and it sorts it all
> out automatically.
>
> MCR

Everytime I see threads about how people use CLRMAME it reminds how
wonderfuly versatile a program it is. I swear I think everyone has a
different method of use yet most come up with the same excellent
results.

What I do: (Keep in mind EVERYTHING is backed up prior to making any
changes)

1: DL any new/changed roms into X:\updates\XX
2: DL latest mame and allow CLRMAME to build appropriate DAT file
3: Set up the new path under add paths
4: Scan with all FIX's checked and I allow the timestamp of updated
files to be changed.
5: Grab any misc ROMS that I might have missed in 1 and drop them on
the scanner window to do the final fixes
6: Once I get a good final scan I delete everything in step 1 and
sort my ROM directory by date modified and copy all changed ROMS back
to step 1

This leaves me with an up to date set in $ROOT\ROMS and a full
upgrade set ready to backup in step 1.

Roman, I love your program :)

Pardon me if I missed a step, I am going by memory as I cant check
ATM.

--
David
Anonymous

Since anyone posts what he/she does....here what I do:

1) Profiler load MAME profile

2) Scanner: run a full scan with all check and fix options enabled

3) drag'n drop the new stuff in the scanner window (with scanner
popupmenu dragndrop option 'fastscan after dragndrop' enabled.

repeat 3 until no more entries are shown.
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 7:12:32 AM

Roman Scherzer wrote:
> Since anyone posts what he/she does....here what I do:
>
> 1) Profiler load MAME profile
>
> 2) Scanner: run a full scan with all check and fix options enabled
>
> 3) drag'n drop the new stuff in the scanner window (with scanner
> popupmenu dragndrop option 'fastscan after dragndrop' enabled.
>
> repeat 3 until no more entries are shown.

Here's a nifty little project**:

Provide Roman with a file containing the rom name and the date the game
was released, so as CMP does its magic, it changes the date on each
rom/artwork/etc. and/or zip to the game's release date!

--
Thnik about it!
Dead_Dad

** (For someone /without/ a life. Now that the fiddlehead season is
done here, in two weeks I'm off to pick morels for a month or so, then
lobsters, blueberries, pines, etc., etc., etc. - I plan on spending most
of my time out in the bush until mid Octogre.)
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 12:42:05 PM

ok thanks for the advice guys, i have a fully updated roms set now all
rebuilt properly except for the CHD games, i deleted them as they arent very
good & take up way too much space.
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 7:09:27 PM

damn imitators.... 8)
May 11, 2005 7:44:17 PM

Roman Scherzer wrote:
> Since anyone posts what he/she does....here what I do:
>
> 1) Profiler load MAME profile
>
> 2) Scanner: run a full scan with all check and fix options enabled
>
> 3) drag'n drop the new stuff in the scanner window (with scanner
> popupmenu dragndrop option 'fastscan after dragndrop' enabled.
>
> repeat 3 until no more entries are shown.

Yeah! I do what the programmer does! So there Sinner! :-P~~~~

;-)

--
MAME(TM) - History In The Making...
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 9:16:42 PM

Laz3 schrieb:
> ok thanks for the advice guys, i have a fully updated roms set now all
> rebuilt properly except for the CHD games, i deleted them as they arent very
> good & take up way too much space.

just for your interest.....chd file can't be rebuilt since the rebuilder
is based on crc32 + size filechecks while chdfiles don't have any crc32
and size given in the database.
I may change the rebuilder sometime to also rebuild chdfiles (by
sha1/md5 check of their headerinformation)...but currently I'm too busy
with so called real life.

Roman
May 12, 2005 4:05:54 AM

* MCR wrote in alt.games.mame:
> Roman Scherzer wrote:
>> Since anyone posts what he/she does....here what I do:

>> 1) Profiler load MAME profile

>> 2) Scanner: run a full scan with all check and fix options enabled

>> 3) drag'n drop the new stuff in the scanner window (with scanner
>> popupmenu dragndrop option 'fastscan after dragndrop' enabled.

>> repeat 3 until no more entries are shown.

> Yeah! I do what the programmer does! So there Sinner! :-P~~~~

> ;-)

Oh yeah?! Well I still run Linux ;P~

--
David
All things are possible, except for skiing through a revolving door.

SINNER wrote:
> * MCR wrote in alt.games.mame:
>
>>Roman Scherzer wrote:
>>
>>>Since anyone posts what he/she does....here what I do:
>

>>>1) Profiler load MAME profile
>

>>>2) Scanner: run a full scan with all check and fix options enabled
>

>>>3) drag'n drop the new stuff in the scanner window (with scanner
>>>popupmenu dragndrop option 'fastscan after dragndrop' enabled.
>

>>>repeat 3 until no more entries are shown.
>

>>Yeah! I do what the programmer does! So there Sinner! :-P~~~~
>

>>;-)
>

> Oh yeah?! Well I still run Linux ;P~

You can get an upgrade disk from www.microsoft.com or any good retailer,
it's called Windows XP Professional edition ;-)

--
MCR
MAME(TM) - History In The Making...
documentation, decryping, developing and playing games!
May 12, 2005 3:45:58 PM

* MCR wrote in alt.games.mame:
> SINNER wrote:
>> * MCR wrote in alt.games.mame:

>>>Yeah! I do what the programmer does! So there Sinner! :-P~~~~

>>>;-)

>> Oh yeah?! Well I still run Linux ;P~

> You can get an upgrade disk from www.microsoft.com or any good retailer,
> it's called Windows XP Professional edition ;-)

If it is anywhere near as buggy as that News client (note the extra
BLANK lines above) I am not interested, thanks though :)

--
David
If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would ever get done.

SINNER wrote:

Snipped

> If it is anywhere near as buggy as that News client (note the extra
> BLANK lines above) I am not interested, thanks though :)

LOL! My news client is Mozilla Thunderbird... Damn that buggy software! ;-
--
MCR
MAME(TM) - History In The Making...
documentation, decryping, developing and playing games!
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 6:54:53 PM

MCR wrote on 12. May 2005:

> SINNER wrote:
>
> Snipped
>
>> If it is anywhere near as buggy as that News client (note the extra
>> BLANK lines above) I am not interested, thanks though :)
>>

> LOL! My news client is Mozilla Thunderbird... Damn that buggy software! ;-

It just needs a few lines to get rid of that blank lines. If you have a
user.js underneath your profile, add

user_pref("mailnews.send_plaintext_flowed", false);
user_pref("mail.quoted_graphical", false);
user_pref("mail.quoteasblock", false);
user_pref("mailnews.display.disable_format_flowed_support", false);
user_pref("mail.display_struct", true);
user_pref("mail.send_struct", false);

I'm not sure whixh line was responsible for that. Please check your user.js
for those lines. May be just add all if none was present and restart
Mozilla after that.

You might also be able to do this via about:config, but the way with the
editor and adding above lines might be easier.
--
By(e) Andreas
U w4nt r0meZ? <http://www.lazarus.org.uk/&gt;

MCR wrote on 12. May 2005:

> Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
>> MCR wrote on 12. May 2005:
>>
>>>SINNER wrote:
>>>
>>>Snipped

>>>LOL! My news client is Mozilla Thunderbird... Damn that buggy software! ;-
>> It just needs a few lines to get rid of that blank lines. If you
>> have a
>> user.js underneath your profile, add
>> user_pref("mailnews.send_plaintext_flowed", false);
>> user_pref("mail.quoted_graphical", false);
>> user_pref("mail.quoteasblock", false);
>> user_pref("mailnews.display.disable_format_flowed_support", false);
>> user_pref("mail.display_struct", true);
>> user_pref("mail.send_struct", false);
>> I'm not sure whixh line was responsible for that. Please check your
>> user.js
>> for those lines. May be just add all if none was present and restart
>> Mozilla after that.
>> You might also be able to do this via about:config, but the way with
>> the
>> editor and adding above lines might be easier.

Your quoting looks like done by Outlook Express. How come? Usually
Mozilla does a great job. Do you wrap lines manually when posting? No
need to, Mozilla does this very well.

> Forgive my ignorance... but what blank lines are causing the offence?

It's not done usually, people are not used to this.

> Dont tell me I am going to be nagged into changing readers /again/ ;-)

No, Mozilla is fine. But yours does strange things for some reason.
--
By(e) Andreas
U w4nt r0meZ? <http://www.lazarus.org.uk/&gt;
May 13, 2005 12:46:44 AM