updating my mame32 roms with ClrMamePro

hi, i have a question you guys might be able to help me with, i got a
fullset of mame32 v95 roms from a romburner a week or so ago, & today got an
update dvd to v96, now im guessing i cant just copy the new roms over the
old versions, so i downloaded clrmamepro, ive imported a dat file & im now
at the point where i can merge or rebuild but to be honest im confused by it
all, i dont want to ruin my romset, any help what i should do next? merge?
rebuild? im not new to mame32 but im new to clrmamepro.
18 answers Last reply
More about updating mame32 roms clrmamepro

    On Tue, 10 May 2005 15:51:16 +0100, "Laz3" <lazarou3@nildram.co.uk>
    wrote:

    >hi, i have a question you guys might be able to help me with, i got a
    >fullset of mame32 v95 roms from a romburner a week or so ago, & today got an
    >update dvd to v96, now im guessing i cant just copy the new roms over the
    >old versions, so i downloaded clrmamepro, ive imported a dat file & im now
    >at the point where i can merge or rebuild but to be honest im confused by it
    >all, i dont want to ruin my romset, any help what i should do next? merge?
    >rebuild? im not new to mame32 but im new to clrmamepro.

    You could as a last resort rtfm :-)

    However....

    Use the Mame 0.96 executable file and create your own dat with
    Clrmame
    Now using the rebuilder.........
    Have the 0.96 update as the source
    Have your 0.95 existing rom path as the destination

    "Laz3" <lazarou3@nildram.co.uk> wrote in

    > hi, i have a question you guys might be able to help me with, i got a
    > fullset of mame32 v95 roms from a romburner a week or so ago, & today
    > got an update dvd to v96, now im guessing i cant just copy the new
    > roms over the old versions, so i downloaded clrmamepro, ive imported a
    > dat file & im now at the point where i can merge or rebuild but to be
    > honest im confused by it all, i dont want to ruin my romset, any help
    > what i should do next? merge? rebuild? im not new to mame32 but im new
    > to clrmamepro.

    How about 'scan.' It'll tell you the changes, and you can decided if
    you'd like to do it, or not.

    --
    Do you want a free iPod?
    http://www.freeipods.com/?r=15154431

    Peale schrieb:
    > "Laz3" <lazarou3@nildram.co.uk> wrote in
    >

    >>hi, i have a question you guys might be able to help me with, i got a
    >>fullset of mame32 v95 roms from a romburner a week or so ago, & today
    >>got an update dvd to v96, now im guessing i cant just copy the new
    >>roms over the old versions, so i downloaded clrmamepro, ive imported a
    >>dat file & im now at the point where i can merge or rebuild but to be
    >>honest im confused by it all, i dont want to ruin my romset, any help
    >>what i should do next? merge? rebuild? im not new to mame32 but im new
    >>to clrmamepro.
    >

    > How about 'scan.' It'll tell you the changes, and you can decided if
    > you'd like to do it, or not.

    Well....you need a scan anyway (depending on what the update dvd got...).

    So:

    Add the dvd files with the rebuilder to your collection, then do scan to
    fix the rest.

    Laz3 wrote:
    > hi, i have a question you guys might be able to help me with, i got a
    > fullset of mame32 v95 roms from a romburner a week or so ago, & today got an
    > update dvd to v96, now im guessing i cant just copy the new roms over the
    > old versions, so i downloaded clrmamepro, ive imported a dat file & im now
    > at the point where i can merge or rebuild but to be honest im confused by it
    > all, i dont want to ruin my romset, any help what i should do next? merge?
    > rebuild? im not new to mame32 but im new to clrmamepro.

    Forget downloaded DATs to be honest, use the new MAME executable to
    build a DAT rather than download one. What I do is set the path to your
    MAME directory and do a full scan, I then drop my new sets into the
    scan window (copy and paste) and it sorts it all out automatically.

    MCR

    --
    MAME(TM) - History In The Making...

    * MCR Wrote in alt.games.mame:

    > Laz3 wrote:
    >> hi, i have a question you guys might be able to help me with, i
    >> got a fullset of mame32 v95 roms from a romburner a week or so
    >> ago, & today got an update dvd to v96, now im guessing i cant
    >> just copy the new roms over the old versions, so i downloaded
    >> clrmamepro, ive imported a dat file & im now at the point where i
    >> can merge or rebuild but to be honest im confused by it all, i
    >> dont want to ruin my romset, any help what i should do next?
    >> merge? rebuild? im not new to mame32 but im new to clrmamepro.
    >>

    > Forget downloaded DATs to be honest, use the new MAME executable
    > to build a DAT rather than download one. What I do is set the
    > path to your MAME directory and do a full scan, I then drop my
    > new sets into the scan window (copy and paste) and it sorts it all
    > out automatically.
    >
    > MCR

    Everytime I see threads about how people use CLRMAME it reminds how
    wonderfuly versatile a program it is. I swear I think everyone has a
    different method of use yet most come up with the same excellent
    results.

    What I do: (Keep in mind EVERYTHING is backed up prior to making any
    changes)

    1: DL any new/changed roms into X:\updates\XX
    2: DL latest mame and allow CLRMAME to build appropriate DAT file
    3: Set up the new path under add paths
    4: Scan with all FIX's checked and I allow the timestamp of updated
    files to be changed.
    5: Grab any misc ROMS that I might have missed in 1 and drop them on
    the scanner window to do the final fixes
    6: Once I get a good final scan I delete everything in step 1 and
    sort my ROM directory by date modified and copy all changed ROMS back
    to step 1

    This leaves me with an up to date set in $ROOT\ROMS and a full
    upgrade set ready to backup in step 1.

    Roman, I love your program :)

    Pardon me if I missed a step, I am going by memory as I cant check
    ATM.

    --
    David

    Since anyone posts what he/she does....here what I do:

    1) Profiler load MAME profile

    2) Scanner: run a full scan with all check and fix options enabled

    3) drag'n drop the new stuff in the scanner window (with scanner
    popupmenu dragndrop option 'fastscan after dragndrop' enabled.

    repeat 3 until no more entries are shown.

    Roman Scherzer wrote:
    > Since anyone posts what he/she does....here what I do:
    >
    > 1) Profiler load MAME profile
    >
    > 2) Scanner: run a full scan with all check and fix options enabled
    >
    > 3) drag'n drop the new stuff in the scanner window (with scanner
    > popupmenu dragndrop option 'fastscan after dragndrop' enabled.
    >
    > repeat 3 until no more entries are shown.

    Here's a nifty little project**:

    Provide Roman with a file containing the rom name and the date the game
    was released, so as CMP does its magic, it changes the date on each
    rom/artwork/etc. and/or zip to the game's release date!

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Dead_Dad

    ** (For someone /without/ a life. Now that the fiddlehead season is
    done here, in two weeks I'm off to pick morels for a month or so, then
    lobsters, blueberries, pines, etc., etc., etc. - I plan on spending most
    of my time out in the bush until mid Octogre.)

    ok thanks for the advice guys, i have a fully updated roms set now all
    rebuilt properly except for the CHD games, i deleted them as they arent very
    good & take up way too much space.

    damn imitators.... 8)

    Roman Scherzer wrote:
    > Since anyone posts what he/she does....here what I do:
    >
    > 1) Profiler load MAME profile
    >
    > 2) Scanner: run a full scan with all check and fix options enabled
    >
    > 3) drag'n drop the new stuff in the scanner window (with scanner
    > popupmenu dragndrop option 'fastscan after dragndrop' enabled.
    >
    > repeat 3 until no more entries are shown.

    Yeah! I do what the programmer does! So there Sinner! :-P~~~~

    ;-)

    --

    Laz3 schrieb:
    > ok thanks for the advice guys, i have a fully updated roms set now all
    > rebuilt properly except for the CHD games, i deleted them as they arent very
    > good & take up way too much space.

    just for your interest.....chd file can't be rebuilt since the rebuilder
    is based on crc32 + size filechecks while chdfiles don't have any crc32
    and size given in the database.
    I may change the rebuilder sometime to also rebuild chdfiles (by
    sha1/md5 check of their headerinformation)...but currently I'm too busy
    with so called real life.

    Roman

    * MCR wrote in alt.games.mame:
    > Roman Scherzer wrote:
    >> Since anyone posts what he/she does....here what I do:

    >> 1) Profiler load MAME profile

    >> 2) Scanner: run a full scan with all check and fix options enabled

    >> 3) drag'n drop the new stuff in the scanner window (with scanner
    >> popupmenu dragndrop option 'fastscan after dragndrop' enabled.

    >> repeat 3 until no more entries are shown.

    > Yeah! I do what the programmer does! So there Sinner! :-P~~~~

    > ;-)

    Oh yeah?! Well I still run Linux ;P~

    --
    David
    All things are possible, except for skiing through a revolving door.

    SINNER wrote:
    > * MCR wrote in alt.games.mame:
    >
    >>Roman Scherzer wrote:
    >>
    >>>Since anyone posts what he/she does....here what I do:
    >

    >>>1) Profiler load MAME profile
    >

    >>>2) Scanner: run a full scan with all check and fix options enabled
    >

    >>>3) drag'n drop the new stuff in the scanner window (with scanner
    >>>popupmenu dragndrop option 'fastscan after dragndrop' enabled.
    >

    >>>repeat 3 until no more entries are shown.
    >

    >>Yeah! I do what the programmer does! So there Sinner! :-P~~~~
    >

    >>;-)
    >

    > Oh yeah?! Well I still run Linux ;P~

    You can get an upgrade disk from www.microsoft.com or any good retailer,
    it's called Windows XP Professional edition ;-)

    --
    MCR
    MAME(TM) - History In The Making...
    documentation, decryping, developing and playing games!

    * MCR wrote in alt.games.mame:
    > SINNER wrote:
    >> * MCR wrote in alt.games.mame:

    >>>Yeah! I do what the programmer does! So there Sinner! :-P~~~~

    >>>;-)

    >> Oh yeah?! Well I still run Linux ;P~

    > You can get an upgrade disk from www.microsoft.com or any good retailer,
    > it's called Windows XP Professional edition ;-)

    If it is anywhere near as buggy as that News client (note the extra
    BLANK lines above) I am not interested, thanks though :)

    --
    David
    If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would ever get done.

    SINNER wrote:

    Snipped

    > If it is anywhere near as buggy as that News client (note the extra
    > BLANK lines above) I am not interested, thanks though :)

    LOL! My news client is Mozilla Thunderbird... Damn that buggy software! ;-
    --

    MCR wrote on 12. May 2005:

    > SINNER wrote:
    >
    > Snipped
    >
    >> If it is anywhere near as buggy as that News client (note the extra
    >> BLANK lines above) I am not interested, thanks though :)
    >>

    > LOL! My news client is Mozilla Thunderbird... Damn that buggy software! ;-

    It just needs a few lines to get rid of that blank lines. If you have a
    user.js underneath your profile, add

    user_pref("mailnews.send_plaintext_flowed", false);
    user_pref("mail.quoted_graphical", false);
    user_pref("mail.quoteasblock", false);
    user_pref("mailnews.display.disable_format_flowed_support", false);
    user_pref("mail.display_struct", true);
    user_pref("mail.send_struct", false);

    I'm not sure whixh line was responsible for that. Please check your user.js
    for those lines. May be just add all if none was present and restart
    Mozilla after that.

    You might also be able to do this via about:config, but the way with the
    editor and adding above lines might be easier.
    --
    By(e) Andreas
    U w4nt r0meZ? <http://www.lazarus.org.uk/>

    MCR wrote on 12. May 2005:

    > Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
    >> MCR wrote on 12. May 2005:
    >>
    >>>SINNER wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Snipped

    >>>LOL! My news client is Mozilla Thunderbird... Damn that buggy software! ;-
    >> It just needs a few lines to get rid of that blank lines. If you
    >> have a
    >> user.js underneath your profile, add
    >> user_pref("mailnews.send_plaintext_flowed", false);
    >> user_pref("mail.quoted_graphical", false);
    >> user_pref("mail.quoteasblock", false);
    >> user_pref("mailnews.display.disable_format_flowed_support", false);
    >> user_pref("mail.display_struct", true);
    >> user_pref("mail.send_struct", false);
    >> I'm not sure whixh line was responsible for that. Please check your
    >> user.js
    >> for those lines. May be just add all if none was present and restart
    >> Mozilla after that.
    >> You might also be able to do this via about:config, but the way with
    >> the
    >> editor and adding above lines might be easier.

    Your quoting looks like done by Outlook Express. How come? Usually
    Mozilla does a great job. Do you wrap lines manually when posting? No
    need to, Mozilla does this very well.

    > Forgive my ignorance... but what blank lines are causing the offence?

    It's not done usually, people are not used to this.

    > Dont tell me I am going to be nagged into changing readers /again/ ;-)

    No, Mozilla is fine. But yours does strange things for some reason.
    --

    Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
    > MCR wrote on 12. May 2005:
    >
    >>SINNER wrote:
    >>
    >>Snipped
    >>

    >>>If it is anywhere near as buggy as that News client (note the extra
    >>>BLANK lines above) I am not interested, thanks though :)
    >>>

    >>LOL! My news client is Mozilla Thunderbird... Damn that buggy software! ;-
    >

    > It just needs a few lines to get rid of that blank lines. If you have a
    > user.js underneath your profile, add
    >
    > user_pref("mailnews.send_plaintext_flowed", false);
    > user_pref("mail.quoted_graphical", false);
    > user_pref("mail.quoteasblock", false);
    > user_pref("mailnews.display.disable_format_flowed_support", false);
    > user_pref("mail.display_struct", true);
    > user_pref("mail.send_struct", false);
    >
    > I'm not sure whixh line was responsible for that. Please check your user.js
    > for those lines. May be just add all if none was present and restart
    > Mozilla after that.
    >
    > You might also be able to do this via about:config, but the way with the
    > editor and adding above lines might be easier.

    Forgive my ignorance... but what blank lines are causing the offence?

    Dont tell me I am going to be nagged into changing readers /again/ ;-)

    --
    MCR
    MAME(TM) - History In The Making...
    documentation, decryping, developing and playing games!

Rebuild Games Video Games