939 vs 754

Ok maybe not the right forum but hopefully someone can help.
Its been a while since my last upgrade - currently I run a 1Ghz Athlon
on an Asus A7V and its getting a bit slow. I'd like to stick with AMD
and upgrade to an Athlon 64bit - probably 3.2Ghz. The choice of
motherboards has got me stumped. I known the 939 socket is new but the
computer fairs are mostly full of 754 solutions. I'm leaning towards a
939 - mostly because its newer. What's the concensus on the Asus A8V?
It seems to fit my needs but doesn't have PCI Express. Most of the
reviews I've seen don't seem to think thats a big deal at present.

Is anyone out there using the A8V? Any issues with it?

TIA

Paul
(Remove the underscore to reply direct)
19 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 12:27:58 +0000, Paul wrote:

    > Ok maybe not the right forum but hopefully someone can help. Its been a
    > while since my last upgrade - currently I run a 1Ghz Athlon on an Asus
    > A7V and its getting a bit slow.

    I assume you know you could more than double the CPU speed on this board
    with a cheap CPU upgrade. You can go as high as 2400MHz with an unlocked
    XP, XP-M, or MP cpu, without overclocking the FSB. See link in sig line.

    > I'd like to stick with AMD and upgrade to an Athlon 64bit - probably
    > 3.2Ghz. The choice of motherboards has got me stumped. I known the
    > 939 socket is new but the computer fairs are mostly full of 754
    > solutions. I'm leaning towards a 939 - mostly because its newer.

    There's really very little differance in performance between 754 and 939
    when they have the same clockspeed/cache CPU. The 754 will even outperform
    the 939 in a couple of apps due to the dual channel, but mostly 939 will
    only be about 3% faster.

    > What's the concensus on the Asus A8V? It seems to fit my needs but
    > doesn't have PCI Express. Most of the reviews I've seen don't seem to
    > think thats a big deal at present.

    If you can't make up your mind between 754 and 939, might want to look at
    the Asrock K8-Combo-z. It supports both 754 and 939. If you plan on
    overclcoking, then make sure the board you buy has a PCI lock. Other than
    that, there's no much to be concerned with other than the feature you want.

    Paul,

    I've been using an A8V for four weeks. (It's the Rev. 2 version of the
    board.) I was inspired to upgrade to it to wring a bit more out of my newish
    AGP nVidia Geforce 6800 GT graphics card.

    The system seems quite solid with XP SP2. I have two sticks of generic 512
    MB PC3200 DDR memory (Samsung chips) and an A64 3500+. It seems happy with a
    mild overclock (220 MHz), so I guess that it's not overly fussy about RAM
    (run at 1:1, 2.7 V, 2.5-3-3-10, command 1T).

    I'm using a Thermalright (www.thermalright.com) XP-120 heatsink with it. It
    fits the A8V with no interferences at all. (I recommend installing it with
    the board out of the case, though.) I don't know whether the XP-120 is
    better than other air-only heat sinks, but it's light for its enormous size:
    370g without the 120 mm fan.

    Whether a Socket 939 system is to be much preferred over a Socket 754 one, I
    don't know from personal experience. My last system was a P4 (Asus P4P800
    mainboard), and I couldn't bear to part with dual channel. However, I've
    done a little testing running large 2D FFTs in a scientific software
    package. Running arrays that don't fit in the L2 cache slows the calculation
    by factor of approx. 2.0. That's really impressive performance, although
    apparently it may not make Doom3 run any faster.

    Anandtech (www.anandtech.com) seems to like the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
    (nForce3 250 Ultra chipset). I decided to stay with Asus, though. (I didn't
    make the choice based on the XP-120 cooler, but it won't fit the MSI board.)

    I can't counsel you as to whether to wait a bit. I have read nothing that
    suggests that current PCI express offers a performance advantage over AGP,
    but a PCI-E graphics card might take a few months longer to go obsolete than
    an AGP one. Perhaps an Asus nForce4 mainboard would be worth waiting for,
    although I don't recall seeing any official announcements as to what
    chipsets Asus will use for PCI-E Socket 939. (The Via K8T890 would be an
    alternative.)

    HTH.

    Bob Knowlden

    On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 12:27:58 GMT, Paul <pcas_1986@bigpond.net.au>
    wrote:

    >Ok maybe not the right forum but hopefully someone can help.

    a.c.h.amd.x86-64
    read / ask there also, lots of question specific answers

    >Its been a while since my last upgrade - currently I run a 1Ghz Athlon
    >on an Asus A7V and its getting a bit slow. I'd like to stick with AMD
    >and upgrade to an Athlon 64bit - probably 3.2Ghz. The choice of
    >motherboards has got me stumped. I known the 939 socket is new but the
    >computer fairs are mostly full of 754 solutions. I'm leaning towards a
    >939 - mostly because its newer. What's the concensus on the Asus A8V?
    >It seems to fit my needs but doesn't have PCI Express. Most of the
    >reviews I've seen don't seem to think thats a big deal at present.

    >Is anyone out there using the A8V? Any issues with it?

    >TIA

    >Paul
    >(Remove the underscore to reply direct)

    My humble opinion. 754 is dead, it just hasn't hit the ground yet.

    Stick with 939....Again my personal opinion.

    Take a look at some of the othere threads on what to buy as far as speed
    goes, slower cpu with o/c and a good hardware goes a long way...

    Cheers.

    "Paul" <pcas_1986@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    > Ok maybe not the right forum but hopefully someone can help.
    > Its been a while since my last upgrade - currently I run a 1Ghz Athlon on
    > an Asus A7V and its getting a bit slow. I'd like to stick with AMD and
    > upgrade to an Athlon 64bit - probably 3.2Ghz. The choice of motherboards
    > has got me stumped. I known the 939 socket is new but the computer fairs
    > are mostly full of 754 solutions. I'm leaning towards a 939 - mostly
    > because its newer. What's the concensus on the Asus A8V? It seems to fit
    > my needs but doesn't have PCI Express. Most of the reviews I've seen
    > don't seem to think thats a big deal at present.
    >
    > Is anyone out there using the A8V? Any issues with it?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Paul
    > (Remove the underscore to reply direct)

    can you comment on the XP-120 noise level?

    "Bob Knowlden" <nkbob@comcast.net> wrote in message
> [...]
    >
    > HTH.
    >
    > Bob Knowlden
    >
    > Address may be scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.
    >
    > "Paul" <pcas_1986@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    >> Ok maybe not the right forum but hopefully someone can help.
    >> Its been a while since my last upgrade - currently I run a 1Ghz Athlon on
    >> an Asus A7V and its getting a bit slow. I'd like to stick with AMD and
    >> upgrade to an Athlon 64bit - probably 3.2Ghz. The choice of
    >> motherboards has got me stumped. I known the 939 socket is new but the
    >> computer fairs are mostly full of 754 solutions. I'm leaning towards a
    >> 939 - mostly because its newer. What's the concensus on the Asus A8V? It
    >> seems to fit my needs but doesn't have PCI Express. Most of the reviews
    >> I've seen don't seem to think thats a big deal at present.
    >>
    >> Is anyone out there using the A8V? Any issues with it?

    socket 754 is intended for cheap end of the 64bit AMD CPUs, and it will be
    an upgrade dead end. the socket 939 seems to have a better future, but I
    will personally wait for the PCI express version, which i think will come
    out in 1 to 2 months

    There is no 3.2Ghz Athlon 64, I think you are referring to the model number
    3200, which AMD claims will perform as good as a P4 3.2Ghz, it is a
    "relatively" accurate model number I guess. Intel at the moment is also
    dropping the Ghz number and adopting model numbers like AMD

    Socket 939 CPUs have dual memory controller, socket 754 are single channel

    I am waiting for a PCI express version of the socket 939 with a dual PCIe
    slot so I can do SLI with two Geforce 6600

    "Paul" <pcas_1986@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    > Ok maybe not the right forum but hopefully someone can help.
    > Its been a while since my last upgrade - currently I run a 1Ghz Athlon
    > on an Asus A7V and its getting a bit slow. I'd like to stick with AMD
    > and upgrade to an Athlon 64bit - probably 3.2Ghz. The choice of
    > motherboards has got me stumped. I known the 939 socket is new but the
    > computer fairs are mostly full of 754 solutions. I'm leaning towards a
    > 939 - mostly because its newer. What's the concensus on the Asus A8V?
    > It seems to fit my needs but doesn't have PCI Express. Most of the
    > reviews I've seen don't seem to think thats a big deal at present.
    >
    > Is anyone out there using the A8V? Any issues with it?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Paul
    > (Remove the underscore to reply direct)

    To state the obvious: it's entirely dependent on the fan used.

    Thermalright recommends a Panaflo FBA12G12L1A (1700 RPM, 30 dBA) fan. I'm
    using an Enermax variable speed fan turned, turned down until it's inaudible
    over the case fans (approx. 1700 RPM). The case fans are low-RPM 120 mm
    ones (stock in the Antec Super Lanboy case). The Enermax fan doesn't fit the
    XP-120 properly; it has boxed corners rather than the open ones Thermalright
    requires, but it's usable. I'll eventually replace or modify it. (The
    Panaflo may move more air without making more noise. It's 120X120X38 mm,
    while the Enermax is 120X120X25 mm.) This will not bring me to silence, but
    it'll be the quietest system I'll have had in years.

    Bob Kn.

    "Keith S." <keithtucaz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > can you comment on the XP-120 noise level?
    >

    > "Bob Knowlden" <nkbob@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> Paul,
    >>
    >> I've been using an A8V for four weeks. (It's the Rev. 2 version of the
    >> board.) I was inspired to upgrade to it to wring a bit more out of my
    >> newish AGP nVidia Geforce 6800 GT graphics card.
    >>
    >> The system seems quite solid with XP SP2. I have two sticks of generic
    >> 512 MB PC3200 DDR memory (Samsung chips) and an A64 3500+. It seems happy
    >> with a mild overclock (220 MHz), so I guess that it's not overly fussy
    >> about RAM (run at 1:1, 2.7 V, 2.5-3-3-10, command 1T).
    >>
    >> I'm using a Thermalright (www.thermalright.com) XP-120 heatsink with it.
    >> It fits the A8V with no interferences at all. (I recommend installing it
    >> with the board out of the case, though.) I don't know whether the XP-120
    >> is better than other air-only heat sinks, but it's light for its enormous
    >> size: 370g without the 120 mm fan.

    (snip)
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    You might try going for a cheap upgrade, ECS K7S5A PRO.
    It comes with two SDRAM slots for PC100/133 memory
    (and two DDR slots for PC2100)
    and can use up to an AMD XP 2600 (266mhz bus speed).
    K7S5A PRO goes for about $25-$30 on www.ebay.com
    AMD 2400 or 2600 start at $67 on www.pricewatch.com

    Someone also has a K7S5A PRO with AMD 2000 for $70 on eBay.

    Or if you really want to spend more money, the Sempron 3100 (socket 754)
    seems to be the best back for the buck, $100

    "Paul" <pcas_1986@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    > Ok maybe not the right forum but hopefully someone can help.
    > Its been a while since my last upgrade - currently I run a 1Ghz Athlon on
    > an Asus A7V and its getting a bit slow. I'd like to stick with AMD and
    > upgrade to an Athlon 64bit - probably 3.2Ghz. The choice of motherboards
    > has got me stumped. I known the 939 socket is new but the computer fairs
    > are mostly full of 754 solutions. I'm leaning towards a 939 - mostly
    > because its newer. What's the concensus on the Asus A8V? It seems to fit
    > my needs but doesn't have PCI Express. Most of the reviews I've seen
    > don't seem to think thats a big deal at present.
    >
    > Is anyone out there using the A8V? Any issues with it?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Paul
    > (Remove the underscore to reply direct)

  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Actually it seems every new socket type is an upgrade dead end. The 754
    isn't really any more dead than 939 is. Seems every new generations of
    processors they go and change the socket type on the motherboards just so
    they can make more money.

    "FSAA" <fsaa@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > socket 754 is intended for cheap end of the 64bit AMD CPUs, and it will be
    > an upgrade dead end. the socket 939 seems to have a better future, but I
    > will personally wait for the PCI express version, which i think will come
    > out in 1 to 2 months
    >
    > There is no 3.2Ghz Athlon 64, I think you are referring to the model
    > number
    > 3200, which AMD claims will perform as good as a P4 3.2Ghz, it is a
    > "relatively" accurate model number I guess. Intel at the moment is also
    > dropping the Ghz number and adopting model numbers like AMD
    >
    > Socket 939 CPUs have dual memory controller, socket 754 are single channel
    >
    > I am waiting for a PCI express version of the socket 939 with a dual PCIe
    > slot so I can do SLI with two Geforce 6600
    >
    > "Paul" <pcas_1986@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    >> Ok maybe not the right forum but hopefully someone can help.
    >> Its been a while since my last upgrade - currently I run a 1Ghz Athlon
    >> on an Asus A7V and its getting a bit slow. I'd like to stick with AMD
    >> and upgrade to an Athlon 64bit - probably 3.2Ghz. The choice of
    >> motherboards has got me stumped. I known the 939 socket is new but the
    >> computer fairs are mostly full of 754 solutions. I'm leaning towards a
    >> 939 - mostly because its newer. What's the concensus on the Asus A8V?
    >> It seems to fit my needs but doesn't have PCI Express. Most of the
    >> reviews I've seen don't seem to think thats a big deal at present.
    >>
    >> Is anyone out there using the A8V? Any issues with it?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Paul
    >> (Remove the underscore to reply direct)

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    You might try going for a cheap upgrade, ECS K7S5A PRO.
    It comes with two SDRAM slots for PC100/133 memory
    (and two DDR slots for PC2100)
    and can use up to an AMD XP 2600 (266mhz bus speed).
    K7S5A PRO goes for about $25-$30 on www.ebay.com
    AMD 2400 or 2600 start at $67 on www.pricewatch.com

    Someone also has a K7S5A PRO with AMD 2000 for $70 on eBay.

    Or if you really want to spend more money, the Sempron 3100 (socket 754)
    seems to be the best bang for the buck, $100

    "Paul" <pcas_1986@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    > Ok maybe not the right forum but hopefully someone can help.
    > Its been a while since my last upgrade - currently I run a 1Ghz Athlon on
    > an Asus A7V and its getting a bit slow. I'd like to stick with AMD and
    > upgrade to an Athlon 64bit - probably 3.2Ghz. The choice of motherboards
    > has got me stumped. I known the 939 socket is new but the computer fairs
    > are mostly full of 754 solutions. I'm leaning towards a 939 - mostly
    > because its newer. What's the concensus on the Asus A8V? It seems to fit
    > my needs but doesn't have PCI Express. Most of the reviews I've seen
    > don't seem to think thats a big deal at present.
    >
    > Is anyone out there using the A8V? Any issues with it?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Paul
    > (Remove the underscore to reply direct)

  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Hello Paul.

    I already have an Asus A8V (with a 3500+) and it runs fine. The only issue
    I had was trying to update the bios from 1006 to the later versions (which
    led to an unbootable system). However, my system is stable with the 1006
    bios. I have revision 1.02 of the m/board. Revision 2 is the one you
    should try and get. It has a working AGP/PCI lock and perhaps does not have
    the same problem with the bios update. You could also look at the MSI K8N
    Neo2 Platinum board. It is supposed to be a bit faster.

    You might find this article useful:

    http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2128&p=1

    Regards,
    Shane

    "Paul" <pcas_1986@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    > Ok maybe not the right forum but hopefully someone can help.
    > Its been a while since my last upgrade - currently I run a 1Ghz Athlon on
    > an Asus A7V and its getting a bit slow. I'd like to stick with AMD and
    > upgrade to an Athlon 64bit - probably 3.2Ghz. The choice of motherboards
    > has got me stumped. I known the 939 socket is new but the computer fairs
    > are mostly full of 754 solutions. I'm leaning towards a 939 - mostly
    > because its newer. What's the concensus on the Asus A8V? It seems to fit
    > my needs but doesn't have PCI Express. Most of the reviews I've seen
    > don't seem to think thats a big deal at present.
    >
    > Is anyone out there using the A8V? Any issues with it?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Paul
    > (Remove the underscore to reply direct)
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    FSAA wrote:
    > socket 754 is intended for cheap end of the 64bit AMD CPUs, and it will be
    > an upgrade dead end. the socket 939 seems to have a better future, but I
    > will personally wait for the PCI express version, which i think will come
    > out in 1 to 2 months
    Something to consider.

    > There is no 3.2Ghz Athlon 64, I think you are referring to the model number
    > 3200,
    Hmm another victim of intentionally(?) misleading advertising. I stand,
    or rather sit, corrected. Tks.
    which AMD claims will perform as good as a P4 3.2Ghz, it is a
    > "relatively" accurate model number I guess. Intel at the moment is also
    > dropping the Ghz number and adopting model numbers like AMD
    As I understand it the whole clock speed issue is becoming meaningless
    anyway.

    > Socket 939 CPUs have dual memory controller, socket 754 are single channel

    That I didn't know - maybe I'd better read the fine print.
    > I am waiting for a PCI express version of the socket 939 with a dual PCIe
    > slot so I can do SLI with two Geforce 6600

    Thanks for the info.
    Cheers
    Paul
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    borolad@myowseintheboro.org wrote:

    > On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 12:27:58 GMT, Paul <pcas_1986@bigpond.net.au>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Ok maybe not the right forum but hopefully someone can help.
    >

    > a.c.h.amd.x86-64
    > read / ask there also, lots of question specific answers

    Does this forum still exist? I can't find it. I thought it might be my
    newsreader (Mozilla Thunderbird) but I tried Outlook as well and still a
    negative result.

    Paul
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Does this forum still exist? I can't find it. I thought it might be my
    newsreader (Mozilla Thunderbird) but I tried Outlook as well and still a
    negative result.

    > Paul

    I cant find it either on AOL.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:53:09 +0000, Courseyauto wrote:

    > Does this forum still exist? I can't find it. I thought it might be my
    > newsreader (Mozilla Thunderbird) but I tried Outlook as well and still a
    > negative result.
    >
    >> Paul
    >
    > I cant find it either on AOL.

    As with any newsgroup, it has to be added to the each server. So if
    no one using AOL (or any other news server) ever request it to be added,
    it probably won't be. IOW's you need to request it to be added if your
    isp's news server does carry it.

    alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    no spam wrote:
    > Hello Paul.
    >
    >(snip) You could also look at the MSI K8N
    > Neo2 Platinum board. It is supposed to be a bit faster.
    >
    > You might find this article useful:
    Yes I did - thanks.
    Paul

    > http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2128&p=1
    >
    > Regards,
    > Shane

  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 23:54:11 GMT, "none" <none@none.com> wrote:

    >Actually it seems every new socket type is an upgrade dead end. The 754
    >isn't really any more dead than 939 is. Seems every new generations of
    >processors they go and change the socket type on the motherboards just so
    >they can make more money.

    yeah, you'd think the "experts" would have figured that out by now.

    esp love the one's still waiting for.... (insert dream du jour here).
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 08:52:20 -0700, <buy this now> wrote:

    > On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 23:54:11 GMT, "none" <none@none.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Actually it seems every new socket type is an upgrade dead end. The 754
    >> isn't really any more dead than 939 is. Seems every new generations of
    >> processors they go and change the socket type on the motherboards just
    >> so
    >> they can make more money.
    >>

    > yeah, you'd think the "experts" would have figured that out by now.
    >
    > esp love the one's still waiting for.... (insert dream du jour here).

    I switched from Intel to AMD because there was a better "upgradebillity"

    If AMD is going to change this policy...............................

    I will yust switch back, so AMD has to show color in the coming few
    months when I'm going to by a new computer.

    Bonobo

    --
    DutchDareDevil
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 20:23:44 +0200, Bonobo <news.wanadoo.nl> wrote:

    >On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 08:52:20 -0700, <buy this now> wrote:

    >> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 23:54:11 GMT, "none" <none@none.com> wrote:

    >>> Actually it seems every new socket type is an upgrade dead end. The 754
    >>> isn't really any more dead than 939 is. Seems every new generations of
    >>> processors they go and change the socket type on the motherboards just
    >>> so they can make more money.

    >> yeah, you'd think the "experts" would have figured that out by now.

    >> esp love the one's still waiting for.... (insert dream du jour here).

    >I switched from Intel to AMD because there was a better "upgradebillity"

    >If AMD is going to change this policy...............................
    >
    >I will yust switch back, so AMD has to show color in the coming few
    >months when I'm going to by a new computer.

    Well that's not very daring, stick with the winners - AMD
    you Dutch devil 8-;)

    >Bonobo

    BoroLad

AMD Overclocking