I have bought a hard drive enclosure, and I am trying to use with it a
hard drive that was previously in a Windows NT 4.0 machine that I just
retired. I wanted to use the drive with the new XP Professional
computer so that I would still have access to the data.

When I plug in the enclosure and turn it on, it is recognized in the
task bar as a mass storage device. But the drive itself does not show
up in the list of drives in My Computer.

In the Device Manager, it's listed under Disk Drives as "AUANDAM
FIBEBALL@ AS&0.0 USB Device." When I right-click to bring up
properties and then go to the Volumes tab, there are none listed. When
I click the Populate buttom, I see this:

Disk: Unknown
Type: Unknown
Partition style: Not Applicable
Capacity: 0 MB
Unallocated space: 0 MB
Reserved space: 0 MB

Is this Windows NT drive (formatted NTFS, if I recall) simply
incompatible with my newer XP Pro machine?

In article <1125684395.232617.163180@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Tracey <tmccartney66@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I have bought a hard drive enclosure, and I am trying to use with it a
>hard drive that was previously in a Windows NT 4.0 machine that I just
>retired. I wanted to use the drive with the new XP Professional
>computer so that I would still have access to the data.
>
>When I plug in the enclosure and turn it on, it is recognized in the
>task bar as a mass storage device. But the drive itself does not show
>up in the list of drives in My Computer.
>
>In the Device Manager, it's listed under Disk Drives as "AUANDAM
>FIBEBALL@ AS&0.0 USB Device." When I right-click to bring up
>properties and then go to the Volumes tab, there are none listed. When
>I click the Populate buttom, I see this:
>
>Disk: Unknown
>Type: Unknown
>Partition style: Not Applicable
>Capacity: 0 MB
>Unallocated space: 0 MB
>Reserved space: 0 MB
>
>Is this Windows NT drive (formatted NTFS, if I recall) simply
>incompatible with my newer XP Pro machine?

Do you know your USB enclsure works on this machine ?

I'd hook the disk to an internal IDE and make sure I could
read it.

You may have NT ownership issues. You want to use file explorer to
tighlight the root of the file system, look at properties
and do a "take ownership" of everything.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

"Tracey" <tmccartney66@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have bought a hard drive enclosure, and I am trying to use with it a
> hard drive that was previously in a Windows NT 4.0 machine that I just
> retired. I wanted to use the drive with the new XP Professional
> computer so that I would still have access to the data.
>
> When I plug in the enclosure and turn it on, it is recognized in the
> task bar as a mass storage device. But the drive itself does not show
> up in the list of drives in My Computer.
>
> In the Device Manager, it's listed under Disk Drives as "AUANDAM
> FIBEBALL@ AS&0.0 USB Device." When I right-click to bring up
> properties and then go to the Volumes tab, there are none listed. When
> I click the Populate buttom, I see this:
>
> Disk: Unknown
> Type: Unknown
> Partition style: Not Applicable
> Capacity: 0 MB
> Unallocated space: 0 MB
> Reserved space: 0 MB
>
> Is this Windows NT drive (formatted NTFS, if I recall) simply
> incompatible with my newer XP Pro machine?

Well, "AUANDAM FIBEBALL" probably means "Quantum Fireball" and if it's
having issues reading the brand and model of the drive, you're got some
hardware problems to sort it. It could be the drive enclosure and/or any of
the internal or external cabling. Or it could be the drive itself that's
having trouble communicating to the computer.

You could try installing the drive internally, to see if it reads correctly.
If not, it's a hardware problem with the drive. If it works internally, then
it's a problem with the enclosure, cable, or usb port.

The file system on the drive wouldn't have this effect.

On 2 Sep 2005 14:23:31 -0400, adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:

>In article <1125684395.232617.163180@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>Tracey <tmccartney66@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>I have bought a hard drive enclosure, and I am trying to use with it a
>>hard drive that was previously in a Windows NT 4.0 machine that I just
>>retired. I wanted to use the drive with the new XP Professional
>>computer so that I would still have access to the data.
>>
>>When I plug in the enclosure and turn it on, it is recognized in the
>>task bar as a mass storage device. But the drive itself does not show
>>up in the list of drives in My Computer.
>>
>>In the Device Manager, it's listed under Disk Drives as "AUANDAM
>>FIBEBALL@ AS&0.0 USB Device." When I right-click to bring up
>>properties and then go to the Volumes tab, there are none listed. When
>>I click the Populate buttom, I see this:
>>
>>Disk: Unknown
>>Type: Unknown
>>Partition style: Not Applicable
>>Capacity: 0 MB
>>Unallocated space: 0 MB
>>Reserved space: 0 MB
>>
>>Is this Windows NT drive (formatted NTFS, if I recall) simply
>>incompatible with my newer XP Pro machine?
>>

>Do you know your USB enclsure works on this machine ?
>
>I'd hook the disk to an internal IDE and make sure I could
>read it.
>
>You may have NT ownership issues. You want to use file explorer to
>tighlight the root of the file system, look at properties
>and do a "take ownership" of everything.

Which is extremely difficult to do when XP won't show ANY drive
contents and claims there is no volume on the drive.

I'd try reading the post. That will help when you respond to the
post.