Maxtor One Step Retrospect software

Can you use the One Step without using the crummy Restrospect software
for backup. I would like to back up to the drive with Ghost, but I
don't know hot to replace Retrospect.

Should I reformat the drive and start over?
5 answers Last reply
More about maxtor step retrospect software

    On 2 Sep 2005 18:52:54 -0700, vidman99-gg@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Can you use the One Step without using the crummy Restrospect software
    >for backup. I would like to back up to the drive with Ghost, but I
    >don't know hot to replace Retrospect.
    >
    >Should I reformat the drive and start over?

    Ghost will back up to an external drive), just pick the to: location
    (possibly e drive, depends on y'alls machine) when configuring the
    backup.

    Y'all do not have to use the Retrospect software, which is normally
    installed on C drive - I use it once a week. big,big learning curve;
    but effective software and easy to use as well as fast backups after
    configuration. It performs incremental imaging as well as duplicating
    the hard drive.
    The Maxtor drive is heavy, not noisy, easy to cable up. Best if y'all
    use USB 2.0. Good luck........

    "Shelly F" wrote:
    > The Maxtor drive is heavy, not noisy, easy to cable up.

    How is it cooled? Does it have a fan?
    Does it have its own power supply?

    *TimDaniels*

    On 2 Sep 2005 18:52:54 -0700, vidman99-gg@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Can you use the One Step without using the crummy Restrospect software
    > for backup. I would like to back up to the drive with Ghost, but I
    > don't know hot to replace Retrospect.
    >
    > Should I reformat the drive and start over?

    No you do not have to use the retrospect software. I've installed my One
    Touch two different ways:

    -With only the OneTouch utility installed so that I could configure the one
    touch button to launch Acronis True Image. Works as advertised.

    -On another system, I used no additional software. Let XP's "new hardware"
    wizard detect and install. Results: a plain old external drive added to My
    Computer.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 01:13:56 -0700, Timothy Daniels wrote:

    > How is it cooled? Does it have a fan?
    > Does it have its own power supply?

    Maybe different models have different things. I have the Maxtor One Touch
    II 300GB. Has its own power supply. No fan for cooling but has venting and
    the case is a metal - similar to what's used on my Motion tablet PC (also
    fanless) for transferring heat away from the hardware. Seems to work. I use
    the vertical stand and when the unit has been running for 24 hours or more
    it is still comfortably warm to the touch.

    --

    <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:

    >"Shelly F" wrote:
    >> The Maxtor drive is heavy, not noisy, easy to cable up.
    >
    > How is it cooled? Does it have a fan?
    > Does it have its own power supply?
    >
    >*TimDaniels*

    Cooling: Does non need a fan. Heat transfer via metal case. Slightly
    warm to touch, no problem.
    Power supply: Just plug the included cable into 110v60Hz and switch
    on. Includes a USB cable for data transfer.

Software Maxtor Windows XP