Anthony

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

I got an AMD 64 3000+ retail how good can I overclock it? just curiosu I may
try it or wait till I get my 6600 agp card and then try it lol

oh yeah socket 754

The only way to tell is to experiment.My 2800+ system is a 216FSB. That's the
best I can get without problems. Generally the A64's don't overclock as well as
the XP or P4.

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 12:46:48 -0500, Anthony wrote:

> I got an AMD 64 3000+ retail how good can I overclock it? just curiosu I may
> try it or wait till I get my 6600 agp card and then try it lol
>
> oh yeah socket 754

How far you can overclock it will depend on many things. MB with PCI lock?
How fast is your ram? Cooling? Voltages?

With my ram bus set to 200MHz, I can get the system bus up to 215MHz for
2150MHz. That also puts the ram bus at 215MHz and that's the fastest it
will run with the ram I have. To go higher, I could lower the initial ram
speed to 166Mhz and then I could probably go higher. But without a PCI
lock on this board, it wouldn't be a lot higher. The best overclock I've
seen is with a Sempron 3100+ (1800MHz) on a 754 board with a PCI lock.
They got the bus speed up to about 280MHz for a cpu speed of a little over
2500MHz. And that was running the low default vcore of 1.4v. The same
CPU on a board without a PCI lock topped out at 220MHz system bus, so the
MB and ram makes the difference.