Wireless Networking without a router

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
April 26, 2005 9:39:08 AM

I am tring to network together my desktop pc with broadband internet access
and my laptop. Neither my desktop or laptop have wireless cards as of yet. I
have read the article on here by Barb Bowman at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/exp... regarding setting up an ad-hoc network without a wireless router.

But my question is can a usb device be used instead of a card for each pc.
For example If I used 2 Dlink DWL-G132 108mbps usb adapters, 1 in each
computer would this work following Bowmans walkthroug linked to above? Or am
i getting the wrong end of the stick? Any help or product advice would me
much appreciated. Thanks Tom
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 26, 2005 10:05:24 PM

Hi

Yeah any Wireless Card (PCI PCMCIA or USB) would work.

However if you have Broadband connection with External Ethernet Modem you are much
better of using a Wireless cable DSL Router.

For Ad-Hoc connection you need two Wireless cards. With a Wireless Router you would need
only one card. The price of an Inexpensive Wireless Router is almost the same as a Card,
so money wise it is either the same or a little bit more to go with a Wireless Router.

This is even more critical if you have a DSL Connection, see here:
http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html

Using Wireless Router for Broadband connection provide much safer system with more
stable Internet and Wireless connection.

Jack (MVP-Networking).