Wireless Networking without a router

I am tring to network together my desktop pc with broadband internet access
and my laptop. Neither my desktop or laptop have wireless cards as of yet. I
have read the article on here by Barb Bowman at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx regarding setting up an ad-hoc network without a wireless router.

But my question is can a usb device be used instead of a card for each pc.
For example If I used 2 Dlink DWL-G132 108mbps usb adapters, 1 in each
computer would this work following Bowmans walkthroug linked to above? Or am
i getting the wrong end of the stick? Any help or product advice would me
much appreciated. Thanks Tom
1 answer Last reply
More about wireless networking router

    Hi

    Yeah any Wireless Card (PCI PCMCIA or USB) would work.

    However if you have Broadband connection with External Ethernet Modem you are much
    better of using a Wireless cable DSL Router.

    For Ad-Hoc connection you need two Wireless cards. With a Wireless Router you would need
    only one card. The price of an Inexpensive Wireless Router is almost the same as a Card,
    so money wise it is either the same or a little bit more to go with a Wireless Router.

    This is even more critical if you have a DSL Connection, see here:
    http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html

    Using Wireless Router for Broadband connection provide much safer system with more
    stable Internet and Wireless connection.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Tommy" <Tommy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am tring to network together my desktop pc with broadband internet access
    > and my laptop. Neither my desktop or laptop have wireless cards as of yet. I
    > have read the article on here by Barb Bowman at
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx
    regarding setting up an ad-hoc network without a wireless router.

    > But my question is can a usb device be used instead of a card for each pc.
    > For example If I used 2 Dlink DWL-G132 108mbps usb adapters, 1 in each
    > computer would this work following Bowmans walkthroug linked to above? Or am
    > i getting the wrong end of the stick? Any help or product advice would me
    > much appreciated. Thanks Tom

Wireless Networking Wireless Networking Product