ABIT or ASUS? Too confusing

My MSI-KT3 Ultra (MS-6380-E) needs to be replaced. The 3rd memory slot
doesn't work. (3 years old anyway).
I will buy a new N-Force2 board but do not need SATA or RAID capabilities.
But I see from reviews that they are included in the most highly rated
boards.
All I really want is a mobo that I can run at least 200MHz FSB stable with
this stuff:

AMD XP2600+Barton locked at 11.5 multiplier
2 sticks of Corsair Value RAM 256MB PC3200
1 stick of Corsair Value RAM 512MB PC3200
I can take or leave dual channel capability.

Money is not really a concern but I don't want to waste it on stuff I don't
need unless the boards with SATA/RAID are truly better.
I'm not a hardcore overclocker but a little doesn't hurt.

Rick

"dorkus.erectus" <gftrs@fkjus.net> wrote in message
> My MSI-KT3 Ultra (MS-6380-E) needs to be replaced. The 3rd memory slot
> doesn't work. (3 years old anyway).
> I will buy a new N-Force2 board but do not need SATA or RAID capabilities.
> But I see from reviews that they are included in the most highly rated
> boards.
> All I really want is a mobo that I can run at least 200MHz FSB stable with
> this stuff:
How about this?
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-478&depa=0
I have the rag. version of this board with a 2200+ cpu and I couldn't be
happier with it.
Try also this board, it has a higher price, but Gigabyte is well worth the
cash.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-128-199&depa=0
I got a Bios Virus one time one my P4 Gigabyte 8IG1000 Pro board and the
dual
bios kicked in & I didn't need to replace the board.

RavingRaichu. ;-) :) (Denny, always with a
smile, even when times are bad.)

"RavingRaichu" <ravingraichu@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> "dorkus.erectus" <gftrs@fkjus.net> wrote in message
>> My MSI-KT3 Ultra (MS-6380-E) needs to be replaced. The 3rd memory slot
>> doesn't work. (3 years old anyway).
>> I will buy a new N-Force2 board but do not need SATA or RAID
>> capabilities.
>> But I see from reviews that they are included in the most highly rated
>> boards.
>> All I really want is a mobo that I can run at least 200MHz FSB stable
>> with
>> this stuff:
> How about this?
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-478&depa=0
> I have the rag. version of this board with a 2200+ cpu and I couldn't be
> happier with it.
> Try also this board, it has a higher price, but Gigabyte is well worth the
> cash.
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-128-199&depa=0
> I got a Bios Virus one time one my P4 Gigabyte 8IG1000 Pro board and the
> dual
> bios kicked in & I didn't need to replace the board.
>
> RavingRaichu. ;-) :) (Denny, always with a
> smile, even when times are bad.)

Thanks Raving
The Asus link you provided is one of my top contenters.

Rick

dual bios... such a good idea... never heard of it before
"dorkus.erectus" <gftrs@fkjus.net> wrote in message
> My MSI-KT3 Ultra (MS-6380-E) needs to be replaced. The 3rd memory slot
> doesn't work. (3 years old anyway).
> I will buy a new N-Force2 board but do not need SATA or RAID capabilities.
> But I see from reviews that they are included in the most highly rated
> boards.
> All I really want is a mobo that I can run at least 200MHz FSB stable with
> this stuff:
>
> AMD XP2600+Barton locked at 11.5 multiplier
> 2 sticks of Corsair Value RAM 256MB PC3200
> 1 stick of Corsair Value RAM 512MB PC3200
> I can take or leave dual channel capability.
>
> Money is not really a concern but I don't want to waste it on stuff I
don't
> need unless the boards with SATA/RAID are truly better.
> I'm not a hardcore overclocker but a little doesn't hurt.
>
> Rick

Craig

Why don't you just get yourself another 512 value Ram and call it good.
"dorkus.erectus" <gftrs@fkjus.net> wrote in message
> My MSI-KT3 Ultra (MS-6380-E) needs to be replaced. The 3rd memory slot
> doesn't work. (3 years old anyway).
> I will buy a new N-Force2 board but do not need SATA or RAID capabilities.
> But I see from reviews that they are included in the most highly rated
> boards.
> All I really want is a mobo that I can run at least 200MHz FSB stable with
> this stuff:
>
> AMD XP2600+Barton locked at 11.5 multiplier
> 2 sticks of Corsair Value RAM 256MB PC3200
> 1 stick of Corsair Value RAM 512MB PC3200
> I can take or leave dual channel capability.
>
> Money is not really a concern but I don't want to waste it on stuff I
> don't need unless the boards with SATA/RAID are truly better.
> I'm not a hardcore overclocker but a little doesn't hurt.
>
> Rick

Will Asus's bios flash on disk clean and reinstall your bios if it's
corrupted? I only ask cause if the bios wont post how can it load from the
cd