I currently have a few problems in that I can not use my CD drive or my DVD
drive.

I also am unable to place a memory stick into my usb port and not be asked
to format it. My printer and mouse work fine in the other usb ports and I
have also swap them in all 4 ports.

This also might be connect to the problem in that I also can not defrag my
c-drive as another application has exclusive use of it.

Has anyone got any ideas ???

Try disconnecting all your USB devices. Then rt click on
MyComputer>select Properties>Hardware>Device Manager>View>Show Hidden
Devices>USB Controllers. Rt click on each one and choose uninstall. Restart
and let WinXP
reinstall them and then reconnect the USB devices.

"GIFFY13" <GIFFY13@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I currently have a few problems in that I can not use my CD drive or my DVD
> drive.
>
> I also am unable to place a memory stick into my usb port and not be asked
> to format it. My printer and mouse work fine in the other usb ports and I
> have also swap them in all 4 ports.
>
> This also might be connect to the problem in that I also can not defrag my
> c-drive as another application has exclusive use of it.
>
> Has anyone got any ideas ???

Thank you Rich, that has resolved my USB problem !!

Does any one else know how to resolve my hard drive problem. It is still not
allowing me to use it in anyway read or write and when I try to defragor use
speed disk, it comes up with the following message

"Speed disk is unable to access drive C:, please check to see if another
application has the drive locked"

I have tried everything that I know to resolve this including trying to see
if I have a virus.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this ? I've been in this
situation since approx Feb05, but the rest of the PC's functions are fine.

Yours hopping someone can help

Giffy13

"Rich Barry" wrote:

> Try disconnecting all your USB devices. Then rt click on
> MyComputer>select Properties>Hardware>Device Manager>View>Show Hidden
> Devices>USB Controllers. Rt click on each one and choose uninstall. Restart
> and let WinXP
> reinstall them and then reconnect the USB devices.
>

> "GIFFY13" <GIFFY13@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I currently have a few problems in that I can not use my CD drive or my DVD
> > drive.
> >
> > I also am unable to place a memory stick into my usb port and not be asked
> > to format it. My printer and mouse work fine in the other usb ports and I
> > have also swap them in all 4 ports.
> >
> > This also might be connect to the problem in that I also can not defrag my
> > c-drive as another application has exclusive use of it.
> >
> > Has anyone got any ideas ???

See if this helps any. Though it talks about Win2000 it applies to
WinXP as well. You also must have at least 15% of
hard drive space left to do a defrag.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q227350/