Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

when to apply thermal paste to bottom of heatsink

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 31, 2004 1:22:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

getting a new heatsink and fan for a new build, not sure about which fans
need to have thermal paste applied, the one i am going for is here

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?acti...

if you cant be bothered to look there here is the spec...

- Fan dim: 80 x 80 x 25mm
- rated speed: 2500 RPM
- Sound: 27.85 dB(A)
- Air flow: 31.37 CFM
- Bearing: Ball bearing
- Heatsink dim: 80 x 80 x 61mm
- Thermal interface: ShinEtsu PCS-TC11 phase change pad pre-applied

cheers

--
Thanks,

Chris.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 31, 2004 2:34:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"Christo" <chris@juststuff.co.uk> wrote in message
news:2uiig7F2abjkaU1@uni-berlin.de...

" ShinEtsu PCS-TC11 phase change pad pre-applied "


There's your answer. Just peel off the cover and put the heatsink on.
October 31, 2004 5:16:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Christo wrote:
> getting a new heatsink and fan for a new build, not sure about which
> fans need to have thermal paste applied, the one i am going for is
> here

always take the protective sticker off the heatsink
always apply themal paste
Related resources
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 31, 2004 10:57:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 02:16:54 -0000, "Geoff" <fooooooool@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Christo wrote:

>> getting a new heatsink and fan for a new build, not sure about which
>> fans need to have thermal paste applied, the one i am going for is
>> here

>always take the protective sticker off the heatsink
" peel the protection " off the TIM you mean don't you ?, and 2 hours
after Cuzman told the O/P no thermal paste needed you tell him
>always apply thermal paste
this is incorrect, the TIM is adequate / better than paste, use it !

The O/P clearly did not need contradicting advise, I'm sure your
intentions were to be helpful and I hope you won't mind my correction.

I do hope this missive won't start a flood / flame / pissing contest
from all the brainwashed ASII/III junkie

BoroLad
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 31, 2004 11:03:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote in message
news:2uimp9F2a4imeU1@uni-berlin.de...
> "Christo" <chris@juststuff.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:2uiig7F2abjkaU1@uni-berlin.de...
>
> " ShinEtsu PCS-TC11 phase change pad pre-applied "
>
>
> There's your answer. Just peel off the cover and put the heatsink on.
>
>

i thought so, just making sure, thanks for the help
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 31, 2004 11:06:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

<borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message
news:0d59o0thsohu2q2ailidh9jn40fvj7vpmn@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 02:16:54 -0000, "Geoff" <fooooooool@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Christo wrote:
>
>>> getting a new heatsink and fan for a new build, not sure about which
>>> fans need to have thermal paste applied, the one i am going for is
>>> here
>
>>always take the protective sticker off the heatsink
> " peel the protection " off the TIM you mean don't you ?, and 2 hours
> after Cuzman told the O/P no thermal paste needed you tell him
>>always apply thermal paste
> this is incorrect, the TIM is adequate / better than paste, use it !
>
> The O/P clearly did not need contradicting advise, I'm sure your
> intentions were to be helpful and I hope you won't mind my correction.
>
> I do hope this missive won't start a flood / flame / pissing contest
> from all the brainwashed ASII/III junkie
>
> BoroLad

cheers i was a bit confused, one saying dont use paste, one saying do use
paste.

from the boro?

such helpful people up north

cheers for clearing that up
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 31, 2004 12:04:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 08:06:11 -0000, "Christo" <chris@juststuff.co.uk>
wrote:

><borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message
>news:0d59o0thsohu2q2ailidh9jn40fvj7vpmn@4ax.com...
>> On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 02:16:54 -0000, "Geoff" <fooooooool@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>>Christo wrote:

>>>> getting a new heatsink and fan for a new build, not sure about which
>>>> fans need to have thermal paste applied, the one i am going for is
>>>> here

>>>always take the protective sticker off the heatsink
>> " peel the protection " off the TIM you mean don't you ?, and 2 hours
>> after Cuzman told the O/P no thermal paste needed you tell him
>>>always apply thermal paste
>> this is incorrect, the TIM is adequate / better than paste, use it !

>> The O/P clearly did not need contradicting advise, I'm sure your
>> intentions were to be helpful and I hope you won't mind my correction.

>> I do hope this missive won't start a flood / flame / pissing contest
>> from all the brainwashed ASII/III junkie

>> BoroLad

>cheers i was a bit confused, one saying dont use paste, one saying do use
>paste.

>from the boro?

Yep the weather and the footy's good at the moment.

>such helpful people up north

>cheers for clearing that up

Your welcome M8, we all from time to time need direction and sometimes
only a confirming reassurance before we commit to an action.

You did the correct thing, you checked first.

BoroLad
October 31, 2004 4:54:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

>
> cheers i was a bit confused, one saying dont use paste, one saying do
> use paste.
>
> from the boro?
>
> such helpful people up north
>
> cheers for clearing that up

sorry, i didn't read the other one
most heatsinks come with some heatsink compound already on the bottom, so
you do as he says basicly, just stick it on and away yu go

in that respect, always make sure some sort of compound is on the heatsink
the point of heatsink compound is that the compound fills in all the tiny
gaps between the cpu core and and heatsink, this means more area is
connected, and as such, more heat is transfered

a few years ago you didn't have to bother, only nutter overclockers used it,
these days evryone has to
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 31, 2004 9:55:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 13:54:07 -0000, "Geoff" <fooooooool@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>> cheers i was a bit confused, one saying dont use paste, one saying do
>> use paste.

>> from the boro?

>> such helpful people up north

>> cheers for clearing that up

>sorry, i didn't read the other one
>most heatsinks come with some heatsink compound already on the bottom, so
>you do as he says basicly, just stick it on and away yu go

>in that respect, always make sure some sort of compound is on the heatsink
>the point of heatsink compound is that the compound fills in all the tiny
>gaps between the cpu core and and heatsink, this means more area is
>connected, and as such, more heat is transfered

>a few years ago you didn't have to bother, only nutter overclockers used it,
>these days evryone has to

No prob M8, catch you later BoroLad another nutter overclocker ;-)
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 31, 2004 11:37:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

You would use either thermal paste or a thermal pad.Not both.thermal pads con
only be used once then have to be removed and either use another pad or paste.

>getting a new heatsink and fan for a new build, not sure about which fans
>need to have thermal paste applied, the one i am going for is here
>
>
>http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?acti...
0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=63319

>if you cant be bothered to look there here is the spec...
>
>- Fan dim: 80 x 80 x 25mm
>- rated speed: 2500 RPM
>- Sound: 27.85 dB(A)
>- Air flow: 31.37 CFM
>- Bearing: Ball bearing
>- Heatsink dim: 80 x 80 x 61mm
>- Thermal interface: ShinEtsu
PCS-TC11 phase change pad pre-applied
!