How to connect laptop to both home (workgroup) and office ..

Last response: in Wireless Networking
April 26, 2005 7:07:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

I have a laptop running XP Pro. I connect to the office network (via a
docking station with Ethernet connection). At home I can connect to the
Internet via a wireless PCMCIA card linking to an ADSL modem. So far so
good!

I want to be able to share files at home as well as at the office, and get
access to a printer on a machine at home. As the office connection is based
on an Active Directory domain login (Win2K server), I can't just use a
common workgroup name. I bet there's a neat solution to this but I sure
can't figure out what it would be. Any advice, references, gratefully
received!

--
####################
## PH, London

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 15:07:51 +0100, "Philip Herlihy" <*email_address_deleted*>
wrote:

>I have a laptop running XP Pro. I connect to the office network (via a
>docking station with Ethernet connection). At home I can connect to the
>Internet via a wireless PCMCIA card linking to an ADSL modem. So far so
>good!
>
>I want to be able to share files at home as well as at the office, and get
>access to a printer on a machine at home. As the office connection is based
>on an Active Directory domain login (Win2K server), I can't just use a
>common workgroup name. I bet there's a neat solution to this but I sure
>can't figure out what it would be. Any advice, references, gratefully
>received!

Philip,

What operating system is on the computer(s) at home - XP Home? XP Pro? Other?
This makes a difference. The AD membership of the laptop shouldn't though.

Do any of the computers have a software firewall (ICF / WF, or third party)? If
so, you need to configure them for file sharing. Firewall configurations are a
very common cause of (network) browser, and file sharing, problems.

If you're able to connect the laptop to your home network, and login to the
laptop, you should be able to find the shared printer etc in Network
Neighborhood (My Network Places) - Entire Network - Microsoft Windows Network.

But you do have to make authentication on the laptop compatible with the other
computer.

On any XP Pro computer, check to see if Simple File Sharing (Control Panel -
Folder Options - View - Advanced settings) is enabled or disabled. With XP Pro,
you need to have SFS consistently set on each computer.

On XP Pro with SFS disabled, check the Local Security Policies (Control Panel -
Administrative Tools). Under Local Policies - Security Options, look at
"Network access: Sharing and security model", and ensure it's set to "Classic -
local users authenticate as themselves".

On XP Pro with SFS disabled, if you set the above Local Security Policy to
"Guest only", enable the Guest account, using Start - Run - "cmd" - type "net
user guest /active:yes" in the command window. If "Classic", setup and use a
common non-Guest account on all computers. Whichever account is used, give it
an identical, non-blank password on all computers.

On XP Home, and on XP Pro with Simple File Sharing enabled, make sure that the
Guest account is enabled, on each computer. Enable Guest, with Start - Run -
"cmd", then type "net user guest /active:yes" in the command window. Ensure
that the password for Guest is blank, with Start - Run - "control
userpasswords2"; select Guest, click Reset Password, click OK without entering a
new password.

Remember, with Simple File Sharing, you'll not be able to access "C:\Program
Files", "C:\Windows", or any of the profile related folders such as "My
Documents". All of those folders require individual user, or administrator
access, and Guest access gives you neither.

On XP Pro, if you're going to use Guest authentication, check your Local
Security Policy (Control Panel - Administrative Tools) - User Rights Assignment,
on the XP Pro computer, and look at "Deny access to this computer from the
network". Make sure Guest is not in the list. Look at "Access this computer
from the network", and make sure that Everyone is in this list.

Do any of the computers have a software firewall (ICF / WF, or third party)? If
so, you need to configure them for file sharing. Firewall configurations are a
very common cause of (network) browser, and file sharing, problems.

More about file sharing, between all different versions of Windows:
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...;

--
Cheers,
Chuck

"Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message
news:o oNBWlmSFHA.3560@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> I have a laptop running XP Pro. I connect to the office network (via a
> docking station with Ethernet connection). At home I can connect to the
> Internet via a wireless PCMCIA card linking to an ADSL modem. So far so
> good!
>
> I want to be able to share files at home as well as at the office, and get
> access to a printer on a machine at home. As the office connection is
based
> on an Active Directory domain login (Win2K server), I can't just use a
> common workgroup name. I bet there's a neat solution to this but I sure
> can't figure out what it would be. Any advice, references, gratefully
> received!
>
> --
> ####################
> ## PH, London
> ####################

Create an account name / password on all your home machines
that agrees with the account name / password in the office. You
should then be able to access all shared resources on the home
network.
April 27, 2005 12:49:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

-- latest at the bottom here...

"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

> "Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message
> news:o oNBWlmSFHA.3560@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> I have a laptop running XP Pro. I connect to the office network (via a
>> docking station with Ethernet connection). At home I can connect to the
>> Internet via a wireless PCMCIA card linking to an ADSL modem. So far so
>> good!
>>
>> I want to be able to share files at home as well as at the office, and
>> get
>> access to a printer on a machine at home. As the office connection is
> based
>> on an Active Directory domain login (Win2K server), I can't just use a
>> common workgroup name. I bet there's a neat solution to this but I sure
>> can't figure out what it would be. Any advice, references, gratefully
>> received!
>>
>> --
>> ####################
>> ## PH, London
>> ####################
>>

> Create an account name / password on all your home machines
> that agrees with the account name / password in the office. You
> should then be able to access all shared resources on the home
> network.

I thought the home machines have to share a common workgroup, which the
laptop can't do?

--
####################
## PH, London

"Chuck" <none@example.net> wrote in message
news:p kjs61tqes761fm2qq10etkf2cfv0o5nii@4ax.com...
> [...]
> administrator
> access, and Guest access gives you neither.
>
> On XP Pro, if you're going to use Guest authentication, check your Local
> Security Policy (Control Panel - Administrative Tools) - User Rights
> Assignment,
> on the XP Pro computer, and look at "Deny access to this computer from the
> network". Make sure Guest is not in the list. Look at "Access this
> computer
> from the network", and make sure that Everyone is in this list.
>
> Do any of the computers have a software firewall (ICF / WF, or third
> party)? If
> so, you need to configure them for file sharing. Firewall configurations
> are a
> very common cause of (network) browser, and file sharing, problems.
>
> More about file sharing, between all different versions of Windows:

Thank, Chuck - will study in detail later. At home two machines are XP Pro
and one is Win2K. There may be a W98 machine involved, but that's less
critical.

--
####################
## PH, London

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Thanks, Bob - I'll study in detail later. (Late for the office!)

--
####################
## PH, London
"Robert L [MS-MVP]" <noreply@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o JdB2zmSFHA.3076@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
this may help. quoted from http://www.ChicagoTech.net
How can I share files between workgroup computer and domain/workgroup
computer?
I have a home wireless network and share files and a printer between two
computers. I also use Win 2000/XP laptop at work with domain network. How
can I share files between these computers at home?
A: Deepening on your network setup, you may 1) Logon local laptop using the
same logon id and password on both machine.
2) change workgroup name to match win2000 domain and the laptop needs to
install at home first ad then join the domain .
3) without changing the workgroup name and logon ID, just enable guest
account in win 2000/XP.
4) If you are running XP, enable Simple File Sharing.
5) logon domain user on the domain laptop (even the workgroup is different),
use command net use \\workgroupcomputer /user:administrator, (here
administrator is workgroup computer local administrator), the enter
workgroup computer administrator password. You should be able to access the
workgroup resources.

Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
How to Setup Windows, Network, Remote Access on
http://www.HowToNetworking.com
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
I recommend Brinkster for web hosting!
[...]

April 27, 2005 10:12:23 PM

news:o iz7s2vSFHA.3152@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> -- latest at the bottom here...
>

> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message
> > news:o oNBWlmSFHA.3560@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> >> I have a laptop running XP Pro. I connect to the office network (via a
> >> docking station with Ethernet connection). At home I can connect to
the
> >> Internet via a wireless PCMCIA card linking to an ADSL modem. So far so
> >> good!
> >>
> >> I want to be able to share files at home as well as at the office, and
> >> get
> >> access to a printer on a machine at home. As the office connection is
> > based
> >> on an Active Directory domain login (Win2K server), I can't just use a
> >> common workgroup name. I bet there's a neat solution to this but I
sure
> >> can't figure out what it would be. Any advice, references, gratefully
> >> received!
> >>
> >> --
> >> ####################
> >> ## PH, London
> >> ####################
> >>

> > Create an account name / password on all your home machines
> > that agrees with the account name / password in the office. You
> > should then be able to access all shared resources on the home
> > network.
> >

> I thought the home machines have to share a common workgroup, which the
> laptop can't do?

Workgroups only matter when it comes to visibility of shared
network resources in "Network Neighbourhood". Workgroup
names are irrelevant when it comes to access permissions - it's
the account names and passwords that count.

To connect to a shared folder in a different workgroup, spell
out its full name, either in Explorer or at the Command Prompt:

net use S: \\SomePC\SomeShare

or, on a Win2000/XP PC:

net use S: \\192.168.0.15\SomeShare
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 8:01:32 PM

> Workgroups only matter when it comes to visibility of shared
> network resources in "Network Neighbourhood". Workgroup
> names are irrelevant when it comes to access permissions - it's
> the account names and passwords that count.
>
> To connect to a shared folder in a different workgroup, spell
> out its full name, either in Explorer or at the Command Prompt:
>
> net use S: \\SomePC\SomeShare
>
> or, on a Win2000/XP PC:
>
> net use S: \\192.168.0.15\SomeShare

Is that because XP doesn't have NetBIOS?

--
####################
## PH, London

> [...]

> administrator
> access, and Guest access gives you neither.
>
> On XP Pro, if you're going to use Guest authentication, check your Local
> Security Policy (Control Panel - Administrative Tools) - User Rights
> Assignment,
> on the XP Pro computer, and look at "Deny access to this computer from the
> network". Make sure Guest is not in the list. Look at "Access this
> computer
> from the network", and make sure that Everyone is in this list.
>
> Do any of the computers have a software firewall (ICF / WF, or third
> party)? If
> so, you need to configure them for file sharing. Firewall configurations
> are a
> very common cause of (network) browser, and file sharing, problems.
>
> More about file sharing, between all different versions of Windows:

Thanks - I'm really grateful for the time you've taken to spell out these
configuration options (mostly new to me!).

--
####################
## PH, London

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

> Workgroups only matter when it comes to visibility of shared
> network resources in "Network Neighbourhood". Workgroup
> names are irrelevant when it comes to access permissions - it's
> the account names and passwords that count.
>
> To connect to a shared folder in a different workgroup, spell
> out its full name, either in Explorer or at the Command Prompt:
>
> net use S: \\SomePC\SomeShare
>
> or, on a Win2000/XP PC:
>
> net use S: \\192.168.0.15\SomeShare

By the way - I forgot to say Thanks!
:-)

--
####################
## PH, London

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Thanks Pegasus, Chuck & Bob, I'm grateful for your time and advice.

I've been playing around with all these issues and I'm at least
understanding them - I think! Unfortunately the laptop isn't currently here
(!) so there's still some guesswork to live with.

One question: I'll also need this to work when I'm not around, and I'm
concerned that a changed DHCP license on the wireless net at home may mean
the shares (folders, printer) won't be valid anymore. How can I make it all
reliable? If I change the workgroup name to match the domain will the home
shares be visible in "My Network Places"?

--
####################
## PH, London
"Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message
news:o oNBWlmSFHA.3560@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>I have a laptop running XP Pro. I connect to the office network (via a
>docking station with Ethernet connection). At home I can connect to the
>Internet via a wireless PCMCIA card linking to an ADSL modem. So far so
>good!
>
> I want to be able to share files at home as well as at the office, and get
> access to a printer on a machine at home. As the office connection is
> based on an Active Directory domain login (Win2K server), I can't just use
> a common workgroup name. I bet there's a neat solution to this but I sure
> can't figure out what it would be. Any advice, references, gratefully
> received!
>
> --
> ####################
> ## PH, London
> ####################

April 30, 2005 9:50:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 17:50:34 +0100, "Philip Herlihy" <*email_address_deleted*>
wrote:

>Thanks Pegasus, Chuck & Bob, I'm grateful for your time and advice.
>
>I've been playing around with all these issues and I'm at least
>understanding them - I think! Unfortunately the laptop isn't currently here
>(!) so there's still some guesswork to live with.
>
>One question: I'll also need this to work when I'm not around, and I'm
>concerned that a changed DHCP license on the wireless net at home may mean
>the shares (folders, printer) won't be valid anymore. How can I make it all
>reliable? If I change the workgroup name to match the domain will the home
>shares be visible in "My Network Places"?

Philip,

With a peer-peer relationship between client and server, you authenticate by
local userid on the server. Assuming that the client (computer you login to
locally) can access the server (computer you're accessing remotely), and that
you have the right authentication (Guest or non-Guest, with passwords properly
synched - as outlined above), a changed DHCP License (ie ip settings) won't
matter.

--
Cheers,
Chuck
Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it comes from experience.
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck sonic net.
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 3:27:09 PM

> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Workgroups only matter when it comes to visibility of shared
> > network resources in "Network Neighbourhood". Workgroup
> > names are irrelevant when it comes to access permissions - it's
> > the account names and passwords that count.
> >
> > To connect to a shared folder in a different workgroup, spell
> > out its full name, either in Explorer or at the Command Prompt:
> >
> > net use S: \\SomePC\SomeShare
> >
> > or, on a Win2000/XP PC:
> >
> > net use S: \\192.168.0.15\SomeShare
> >

> Is that because XP doesn't have NetBIOS?

I don't have the in-depth knowledge on protocols to answer
your question with any degree of confidence.

> By the way - I forgot to say Thanks!
> :-)

You're welcome.
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 7:30:47 PM

> With a peer-peer relationship between client and server, you authenticate
> by
> local userid on the server. Assuming that the client (computer you login
> locally) can access the server (computer you're accessing remotely), and
> that
> you have the right authentication (Guest or non-Guest, with passwords
> properly
> synched - as outlined above), a changed DHCP License (ie ip settings)
> won't
> matter.

Thanks again for your patient help!

--
####################
## PH, London

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

On Mon, 2 May 2005 15:30:47 +0100, "Philip Herlihy" <*email_address_deleted*>
wrote:

>"Chuck" <none@example.net> wrote in message
>> With a peer-peer relationship between client and server, you authenticate
>> by
>> local userid on the server. Assuming that the client (computer you login
>> locally) can access the server (computer you're accessing remotely), and
>> that
>> you have the right authentication (Guest or non-Guest, with passwords
>> properly
>> synched - as outlined above), a changed DHCP License (ie ip settings)
>> won't
>> matter.
>>

>Thanks again for your patient help!

YW, Philip. Thanks for the feedback!