DFI Ultra Infinity or Abit NF7-S ver 2.0

Im planning on buying myself a mobile and try a little overclocking, but I
cant decide which one of these boards I should go with for my first OC
adventure.
Anyhow, if anyone has any suggestions on what would be more oc friendly for
a newb that would be very helpful.
TIA

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 01:52:10 GMT, "lonesw0rdsman" <neo@fx.com> wrote:

>Im planning on buying myself a mobile and try a little overclocking, but I
>cant decide which one of these boards I should go with for my first OC
>adventure.

>Anyhow, if anyone has any suggestions on what would be more oc friendly for
>a newb that would be very helpful.
>TIA

oc friendly=NF7-S=lower FSB=lower O/C
less stability=DFI=higher FSB=higher O/C

Both excellent MOBO's the DFI is less forgiving

BoroLad

geoff

borolad@myowseintheboro.org wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 01:52:10 GMT, "lonesw0rdsman" <neo@fx.com> wrote:
>
>> Im planning on buying myself a mobile and try a little overclocking,
>> but I cant decide which one of these boards I should go with for my
>> first OC adventure.
>
>> Anyhow, if anyone has any suggestions on what would be more oc
>> friendly for a newb that would be very helpful.
>> TIA
>
> oc friendly=NF7-S=lower FSB=lower O/C
> less stability=DFI=higher FSB=higher O/C
>
> Both excellent MOBO's the DFI is less forgiving
>
> BoroLad

the DFI one looks silly too :)
also consider abit AN7, basicly the NF7, but with optical in as well as out,
and updated chips in general

<borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message
> On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 01:52:10 GMT, "lonesw0rdsman" <neo@fx.com> wrote:
>
>>Im planning on buying myself a mobile and try a little overclocking, but I
>>cant decide which one of these boards I should go with for my first OC
>>adventure.
>
>>Anyhow, if anyone has any suggestions on what would be more oc friendly
>>for
>>a newb that would be very helpful.
>>TIA
>
> oc friendly=NF7-S=lower FSB=lower O/C

Only if the chip's locked - but since he's getting, a mobile it won't be.

> less stability=DFI=higher FSB=higher O/C

Higher FSB = stability at higher FSB !
So the DFI wins here.
The DFI is easily the better board - not just for extracting the best from
memory (not solely due to the higher available v-dimm), but also because of
the superior onboard sound implementation (which is poor on the Abit).
The DFI also clocks higher for a given v-core.
Get the DFI (and as with any NF2 mobo, a spare BIOS chip !)

"Geoff" <fooooooool@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> borolad@myowseintheboro.org wrote:
>> On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 01:52:10 GMT, "lonesw0rdsman" <neo@fx.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Im planning on buying myself a mobile and try a little overclocking,
>>> but I cant decide which one of these boards I should go with for my
>>> first OC adventure.
>>
>>> Anyhow, if anyone has any suggestions on what would be more oc
>>> friendly for a newb that would be very helpful.
>>> TIA
>>
>> oc friendly=NF7-S=lower FSB=lower O/C
>> less stability=DFI=higher FSB=higher O/C
>>
>> Both excellent MOBO's the DFI is less forgiving
>>
>> BoroLad
>
> the DFI one looks silly too :)
> also consider abit AN7,

Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES even consider the AN7 - it's the biggest heapashi'ite
on the market.
Won't overclock for toffee.
It's a well-documented DOG.
Check out members' opinions at PCPerspective (80,000 members can't be wrong
!).

"lonesw0rdsman" <neo@fx.com> wrote in message
> Im planning on buying myself a mobile and try a little overclocking, but I
> cant decide which one of these boards I should go with for my first OC
> adventure.
> Anyhow, if anyone has any suggestions on what would be more oc friendly
> for a newb that would be very helpful.
> TIA

Currently runnig a DFI Infinity nF2 Ultra with an old 2200+, and i shows a
great improvment over the VIA board it replaced.

The Infinity is identical to the Lan Party boards, but without all the
glowing stuff ad the internal power / reset swiches.

hamman

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 13:29:29 +0000 (UTC), "Scumball"
<scumball@btinternet.com> wrote:

><borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 01:52:10 GMT, "lonesw0rdsman" <neo@fx.com> wrote:

>>>Im planning on buying myself a mobile and try a little overclocking, but I
>>>cant decide which one of these boards I should go with for my first OC
>>>adventure.

>>>Anyhow, if anyone has any suggestions on what would be more oc friendly
>>>for a newb that would be very helpful.
>>>TIA

>> oc friendly=NF7-S=lower FSB=lower O/C

>Only if the chip's locked - but since he's getting, a mobile it won't be.

Gerraway, bloody hell, mobiles are unlocked - well I never !

>> less stability=DFI=higher FSB=higher O/C

>Higher FSB = stability at higher FSB !
>So the DFI wins here.
>The DFI is easily the better board - not just for extracting the best from
>memory (not solely due to the higher available v-dimm), but also because of
>the superior onboard sound implementation (which is poor on the Abit).

Gerraway, bloody hell, ' SoundStorm ', ( now bought by Creative Labs -
so that will be the end of this excellent chip ! ) is poor is it -
well I never !

The AC'97 on the DFI is better than ' SoundStorm ', and you claim to
have owned / built both boards. Mister Scumball you are a liar - or
totally and absolutely clinically deaf.

Which is it ?

>The DFI also clocks higher for a given v-core.
>Get the DFI (and as with any NF2 mobo, a spare BIOS chip !)

Again you talk absolute rubbish, I've built hundreds of NF7-S v2.0
MOBO's and never a problem with any of them. Additionally I've never
heard or read of any BIOS failures with this MOBO.

>> Both excellent MOBO's the DFI is less forgiving

I stand by what I said, the O/P is a ' newbie ', the DFI BIOS is far
too aggressive, and your advice to a newbie is bad.

BoroLad

lonesw0rdsman wrote:
> Im planning on buying myself a mobile and try a little overclocking,
> but I cant decide which one of these boards I should go with for my
> first OC adventure.
> Anyhow, if anyone has any suggestions on what would be more oc
> friendly for a newb that would be very helpful.

The NF7 would definately be the "more oc friendly" board. The DFI board is a
screamer when/if you get it going at top speed, but you'll need good ram, a
bit of luck, and a lot of patience to get it there. Not really the sort of
thing you'd want to meet on your first excursion unless you like to learn by
jumping in the deep end :)

--
Michael Brown

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"Michael Brown" <see@signature.below> wrote in message
> lonesw0rdsman wrote:
>> Im planning on buying myself a mobile and try a little overclocking,
>> but I cant decide which one of these boards I should go with for my
>> first OC adventure.
>> Anyhow, if anyone has any suggestions on what would be more oc
>> friendly for a newb that would be very helpful.
>
> The NF7 would definately be the "more oc friendly" board. The DFI board is
> screamer when/if you get it going at top speed, but you'll need good ram,
> bit of luck, and a lot of patience to get it there. Not really the sort of
> thing you'd want to meet on your first excursion unless you like to learn
> by
> jumping in the deep end :)

Having owned both boards, I can say the advice above is 100% correct.

In actual fact the DFI board is not a particularly good overclocker. What I
mean by this is if you want to reach the highest possible CPU MHz, the DFI
is OK but the nf7-s is better. What the DFI board *can* do is reach insane
FSB speeds - pushing 300MHz (600MHz DDR). But like the man says, its can be
an infuriating board to get it working right. Not one for a first attempt!

Oh, and the sata raid implementation is Fubar on the DFI board as well.

Chip

"Michael Brown" <see@signature.below> wrote in message
> lonesw0rdsman wrote:
>> Im planning on buying myself a mobile and try a little overclocking,
>> but I cant decide which one of these boards I should go with for my
>> first OC adventure.
>> Anyhow, if anyone has any suggestions on what would be more oc
>> friendly for a newb that would be very helpful.
>
> The NF7 would definately be the "more oc friendly" board. The DFI board is
> screamer when/if you get it going at top speed, but you'll need good ram,
> bit of luck, and a lot of patience to get it there. Not really the sort of
> thing you'd want to meet on your first excursion unless you like to learn
> by
> jumping in the deep end :)

Tosh.
It's just as easy to o/c as any other board - including the Abit.
Apart from which, overclocking ain't rocketscience and there are gazillions
of great o/c'ing guides out there.

"Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message

> "Michael Brown" <see@signature.below> wrote in message
>> lonesw0rdsman wrote:
>>> Im planning on buying myself a mobile and try a little overclocking,
>>> but I cant decide which one of these boards I should go with for my
>>> first OC adventure.
>>> Anyhow, if anyone has any suggestions on what would be more oc
>>> friendly for a newb that would be very helpful.
>>
>> The NF7 would definately be the "more oc friendly" board. The DFI board
>> is a
>> screamer when/if you get it going at top speed, but you'll need good ram,
>> bit of luck, and a lot of patience to get it there. Not really the sort
>> of
>> thing you'd want to meet on your first excursion unless you like to learn
>> by
>> jumping in the deep end :)
>
> Having owned both boards, I can say the advice above is 100% correct.

I've owned many NF7-S's and a clutch of DFI Infinities - and the DFI wins
hands down, every time.

> In actual fact the DFI board is not a particularly good overclocker. What
> I mean by this is if you want to reach the highest possible CPU MHz, the
> DFI is OK but the nf7-s is better.

Only VERY marginally, because of the slightly higher v-cores available (up
to 2.3v rather than 2.0v).
But few chips will run happily beyond 2.15v-core and still fewer owners will
want to run them beyond 2.0v anyway.
The difference in practical terms is about 20 MHz lower max o/c on the DFI.

What the DFI board *can* do is reach insane
> FSB speeds - pushing 300MHz (600MHz DDR).

Well, up to 265 FSB.
Reports of 285+ are questionable.

But like the man says, its can be
> an infuriating board to get it working right. Not one for a first
> attempt!

Yes it is - overclocking is overclocking.

> Oh, and the sata raid implementation is Fubar on the DFI board as well.

This was also true for the Abit NF7-S when it first appeared - but just as
was the case for that, subsequent BIOS revisions have addressed the problem.
Anyway, if it's high clocks you're interested in - you won't be going RAID.
RAID is a mug's game at the best of times.

> Chip

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

>>>TIA
>>
>> oc friendly=NF7-S=lower FSB=lower O/C
>
> Only if the chip's locked - but since he's getting, a mobile it won't be.
>
>> less stability=DFI=higher FSB=higher O/C
>
> Higher FSB = stability at higher FSB !
> So the DFI wins here.
> The DFI is easily the better board - not just for extracting the best from
> memory (not solely due to the higher available v-dimm), but also because
> of the superior onboard sound implementation (which is poor on the Abit).
> The DFI also clocks higher for a given v-core.
> Get the DFI (and as with any NF2 mobo, a spare BIOS chip !)

Spare BIOS chip, why?

Dave

"Dave" <dave2972@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> oc friendly=NF7-S=lower FSB=lower O/C
>>
>> Only if the chip's locked - but since he's getting, a mobile it won't be.
>>
>>> less stability=DFI=higher FSB=higher O/C
>>
>> Higher FSB = stability at higher FSB !
>> So the DFI wins here.
>> The DFI is easily the better board - not just for extracting the best
>> from memory (not solely due to the higher available v-dimm), but also
>> because of the superior onboard sound implementation (which is poor on
>> the Abit).
>> The DFI also clocks higher for a given v-core.
>> Get the DFI (and as with any NF2 mobo, a spare BIOS chip !)
>
> Spare BIOS chip, why?

Go to PCPerspective and find out.

> Dave

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

> On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 13:29:29 +0000 (UTC), "Scumball"
> <scumball@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>><borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message

>>> oc friendly=NF7-S=lower FSB=lower O/C
>
>>Only if the chip's locked - but since he's getting, a mobile it won't be.
>
> Gerraway, bloody hell, mobiles are unlocked - well I never !
>
>>> less stability=DFI=higher FSB=higher O/C
>
>>Higher FSB = stability at higher FSB !
>>So the DFI wins here.
>>The DFI is easily the better board - not just for extracting the best from
>>memory (not solely due to the higher available v-dimm), but also because
>>of
>>the superior onboard sound implementation (which is poor on the Abit).
>
> Gerraway, bloody hell, ' SoundStorm ', ( now bought by Creative Labs -
> so that will be the end of this excellent chip ! ) is poor is it -
> well I never !
>
> The AC'97 on the DFI is better than ' SoundStorm ', and you claim to
> have owned / built both boards. Mister Scumball you are a liar - or
> totally and absolutely clinically deaf.
>
> Which is it ?
>
>>The DFI also clocks higher for a given v-core.
>>Get the DFI (and as with any NF2 mobo, a spare BIOS chip !)
>
> Again you talk absolute rubbish, I've built hundreds of NF7-S v2.0
> MOBO's and never a problem with any of them. Additionally I've never
> heard or read of any BIOS failures with this MOBO.
>
>>> Both excellent MOBO's the DFI is less forgiving
>
> I stand by what I said, the O/P is a ' newbie ', the DFI BIOS is far
> too aggressive, and your advice to a newbie is bad.
>
> BoroLad

I got confused a little reading this. Then I realized that Scumball is such
a complete wanker that he's already in my blocked-senders list (he's only 1
of 2 people in there), so I didn't have to endure his pathetic rantings. I
seem to remember he's a hopeless DFI fanboy incapable of coherent thought.
Just ignore him.

Chip

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 10:03:39 -0000, "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net>
wrote:

><borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 13:29:29 +0000 (UTC), "Scumball"
>> <scumball@btinternet.com> wrote:

>>><borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message

>>>Only if the chip's locked - but since he's getting, a mobile it won't be.

>> Gerraway, bloody hell, mobiles are unlocked - well I never !

>>>Higher FSB = stability at higher FSB !
>>>So the DFI wins here.
>>>The DFI is easily the better board - not just for extracting the best from
>>>memory (not solely due to the higher available v-dimm), but also because
>>>of the superior onboard sound implementation (which is poor on the Abit).

>> Gerraway, bloody hell, ' SoundStorm ', ( now bought by Creative Labs -
>> so that will be the end of this excellent chip ! ) is poor is it -
>> well I never !

>> The AC'97 on the DFI is better than ' SoundStorm ', and you claim to
>> have owned / built both boards. Mister Scumball you are a liar - or
>> totally and absolutely clinically deaf.

>> Which is it ?

>>>The DFI also clocks higher for a given v-core.
>>>Get the DFI (and as with any NF2 mobo, a spare BIOS chip !)

>> Again you talk absolute rubbish, I've built hundreds of NF7-S v2.0
>> MOBO's and never a problem with any of them. Additionally I've never
>> heard or read of any BIOS failures with this MOBO.

>> I stand by what I said, the O/P is a ' newbie ', the DFI BIOS is far
>> too aggressive, and your advice to a newbie is bad.

>> BoroLad

>I got confused a little reading this. Then I realized that Scumball is such
>a complete wanker that he's already in my blocked-senders list (he's only 1
>of 2 people in there), so I didn't have to endure his pathetic rantings. I
>seem to remember he's a hopeless DFI fanboy incapable of coherent thought.

>Just ignore him.

I have Chip, the correction was for the benefit of the [ lonesw0rdman
newbie ] O/P not Scumball whose adjacent but not necessarily connected
baincells leads him to walk hand in hand with himself through the
USENET portals beset by a whole range of discontents and confusions.

Redemption was offered but he chose not to respond with anything other
than his own corrosive central conceit that he is right, I'll always
go the xtra mile to protect a ' newbie ' - and Scumball needs to
re-serve his apprenticeship.

I'll resist talking a pig into a ham sandwich and let the
AC97/Soundstorm issue with Scumball go.

>Chip

BoroLad

To lonesw0rdman, for your first O/C adventure get a:
- (1) NF7-S v2.0 with a nForce2 MCP2-T SoundStorm chip
- (2) x2 [ not a matched pair ] of PC3200
- (3) ATHLON XP-M 2500+

(1)
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Abit.html
(2)
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Crucial_Value.html
(3)
http://www.cpucitystore.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=392

Set user define 11x200, ignore the ' unknown CPU ', test, and when
your happily stable come back here for more on your O/C adventure.

Thanks for all the suggestions and info. Im going with the Nf7-S :)

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 15:10:06 GMT, "lonesw0rdsman" <neo@fx.com> wrote:

>Thanks for all the suggestions and info. Im going with the Nf7-S :)
>"lonesw0rdsman" <neo@fx.com> wrote in message

Your welcome lonesw0rdsman, glad to help, hope you found the info
helpful.

>> Im planning on buying myself a mobile and try a little overclocking, but I
>> cant decide which one of these boards I should go with for my first OC
>> adventure.

>> Anyhow, if anyone has any suggestions on what would be more oc friendly
>> for a newb that would be very helpful.
>> TIA

BoroLad

*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:- Keep Digging -:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*

¸ô¶ó

Phucking idiot.

> *'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:- Keep Digging -:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*
>
> ¸ô¶ó

borolad@myowseintheboro.org wrote:
[...]
> All AMDAthlonXP-M's are, have always been, and hopefully will continue
> to be unlocked forever - otherwise they will not be able to use the
> powernow feature.

Incorrect (the part about the chips needing to be unlocked). PowerNow and
the ability to change the startup multiplier are completely independent. See
my post
http://groups.google.co.nz/groups?selm=hwkhd.1757%24op3.72668%40news.xtra.co
..nz
or some of the stuff I've written at
http://www.emboss.co.nz/amdunlock
(this second one is not quite such a good description IMO)

[...]

--
Michael Brown