Hi,

Can't find support for NT4 anymore, so I thought I'd try posting on XP,
since it uses an NT kernel.

I'm running NT4/sp6a on an older PII pentium with dual 350 Mhz cpu's. I use
an older Adaptec 2940 UW to control 4 nine-gig SCSI's that I use for video
capture. The SCSI's have always worked well under NT4, but I purchased a
home user's version of Diskeeper, the disk defrag utility. It works fine on
all the IDE drives, but every time I try to defrag a SCSI, it jams 12% into
the defrag process, sometimes catching the SCSI in a read/write loop, where
I can hear the SCSI "chattering" loudly for a long time with no progress on
the defrag.

I have a dual boot with XP pro on the same gang of SCSI's and XP does the
same thing.

any DK fans out there? Does DK just dislike SCSI's? Or are they just
finnicky drives (maxtors) that don't like being de-fragged? :)

thanks for any suggestions...

Sam

Sammie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can't find support for NT4 anymore, so I thought I'd try posting on XP,
> since it uses an NT kernel.
>
> I'm running NT4/sp6a on an older PII pentium with dual 350 Mhz cpu's. I use
> an older Adaptec 2940 UW to control 4 nine-gig SCSI's that I use for video
> capture. The SCSI's have always worked well under NT4, but I purchased a
> home user's version of Diskeeper, the disk defrag utility. It works fine on
> all the IDE drives, but every time I try to defrag a SCSI, it jams 12% into
> the defrag process, sometimes catching the SCSI in a read/write loop, where
> I can hear the SCSI "chattering" loudly for a long time with no progress on
> the defrag.
>
> I have a dual boot with XP pro on the same gang of SCSI's and XP does the
> same thing.
>
> any DK fans out there? Does DK just dislike SCSI's? Or are they just
> finnicky drives (maxtors) that don't like being de-fragged? :)
>
> thanks for any suggestions...
>
> Sam

When I was running and older SP version of NT I had no problems with the
then current version of DiskKeeper on SCSI. My system was entirely SCSI
so you might want to try running it without any IDE drives if possible.
Failing that you might want to contact Executive Software to see if
there is any problems with your version.