I want upgrade memory (existing is 128MB) in PIII 866MHz, to 256MB or more,
to install Windows XP.
Can I add 256MB module, so total will be 384MB(128+256)? Or I need use
256MB module only? Or 2 x 256=512MB?

thanks

Malke

luminore wrote:

> I want upgrade memory (existing is 128MB) in PIII 866MHz, to 256MB or
> more, to install Windows XP.
> Can I add 256MB module, so total will be 384MB(128+256)? Or I need
> use 256MB module only? Or 2 x 256=512MB?
>
> thanks

The type of RAM and combination (and sometimes placement in the RAM
slots) depends on your motherboard. Look in the motherboard manual or
computer manual if you have an OEM machine (HP, Compaq, etc.). If you
don't have the manual, go to either the OEM's or motherboard mftr.'s
website and look up the requirements there.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

> luminore wrote:
>
>> I want upgrade memory (existing is 128MB) in PIII 866MHz, to 256MB or
>> more, to install Windows XP.
>> Can I add 256MB module, so total will be 384MB(128+256)? Or I need
>> use 256MB module only? Or 2 x 256=512MB?
>>
>> thanks
>
> The type of RAM and combination (and sometimes placement in the RAM
> slots) depends on your motherboard. Look in the motherboard manual or
> computer manual if you have an OEM machine (HP, Compaq, etc.). If you
> don't have the manual, go to either the OEM's or motherboard mftr.'s
> website and look up the requirements there.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Motherboard info:

Mainboard model CT-6OJV2

VGA Model Embedded 3D AGP VGA

#86585 Intel 815E GMCH + ICH2 AGPset with integr. 2D/3D graphics

CPU Type: Pentium III 866MHz

BIOS: Award BIOS

Memory modules: 128MB DIMM

This board can support up to a Celeron 1.1 or a PIII 1.13 max.

256 PC 133 DIMMs are the max that can be used per slot on this board.

----------------------

So what memory is suitable?

Thanks

Malke

luminore wrote:

> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
>> luminore wrote:
>>
>>> I want upgrade memory (existing is 128MB) in PIII 866MHz, to 256MB
>>> or more, to install Windows XP.
>>> Can I add 256MB module, so total will be 384MB(128+256)? Or I need
>>> use 256MB module only? Or 2 x 256=512MB?
>>>
>>> thanks
>>
>> The type of RAM and combination (and sometimes placement in the RAM
>> slots) depends on your motherboard. Look in the motherboard manual or
>> computer manual if you have an OEM machine (HP, Compaq, etc.). If you
>> don't have the manual, go to either the OEM's or motherboard mftr.'s
>> website and look up the requirements there.
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
>

> Motherboard info:
>
> Mainboard model CT-6OJV2
>
> VGA Model Embedded 3D AGP VGA
>
> #86585 Intel 815E GMCH + ICH2 AGPset with integr. 2D/3D graphics
>
> CPU Type: Pentium III 866MHz
>
> BIOS: Award BIOS
>
> Memory modules: 128MB DIMM
>
> This board can support up to a Celeron 1.1 or a PIII 1.13 max.
>
> 256 PC 133 DIMMs are the max that can be used per slot on this board.
>

> So what memory is suitable?

PC 133 DIMMs - 256MB max per slot. If you have two slots, this old m/b
can only handle two 256MB sticks (or less).

It looks like you can add a 256MB module. Stick one in there and find
out. If your machine doesn't like it, it will beep at you.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Alias

> luminore wrote:
>

>> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message

>>> The type of RAM and combination (and sometimes placement in the RAM
>>> slots) depends on your motherboard. Look in the motherboard manual or
>>> computer manual if you have an OEM machine (HP, Compaq, etc.). If you
>>> don't have the manual, go to either the OEM's or motherboard mftr.'s
>>> website and look up the requirements there.
>>>
>>> Malke
>>> --
>>> Elephant Boy Computers
>>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>>> "Don't Panic!"
>>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
>>

>> Motherboard info:
>>
>> Mainboard model CT-6OJV2
>>
>> VGA Model Embedded 3D AGP VGA
>>
>> #86585 Intel 815E GMCH + ICH2 AGPset with integr. 2D/3D graphics
>>
>> CPU Type: Pentium III 866MHz
>>
>> BIOS: Award BIOS
>>
>> Memory modules: 128MB DIMM
>>
>> This board can support up to a Celeron 1.1 or a PIII 1.13 max.
>>
>> 256 PC 133 DIMMs are the max that can be used per slot on this board.
>>

>> So what memory is suitable?
>
> PC 133 DIMMs - 256MB max per slot. If you have two slots, this old m/b
> can only handle two 256MB sticks (or less).
>
> It looks like you can add a 256MB module. Stick one in there and find
> out. If your machine doesn't like it, it will beep at you.
>
> Malke

Or not make a sound and freeze.

Alias

"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message

> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
>> luminore wrote:
>>

>>> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message

>>> Motherboard info:
>>>
>>> Mainboard model CT-6OJV2
>>>
>>> VGA Model Embedded 3D AGP VGA
>>>
>>> #86585 Intel 815E GMCH + ICH2 AGPset with integr. 2D/3D graphics
>>>
>>> CPU Type: Pentium III 866MHz
>>>
>>> BIOS: Award BIOS
>>>
>>> Memory modules: 128MB DIMM
>>>
>>> This board can support up to a Celeron 1.1 or a PIII 1.13 max.
>>>
>>> 256 PC 133 DIMMs are the max that can be used per slot on this board.
>>>

>>> So what memory is suitable?
>>
>> PC 133 DIMMs - 256MB max per slot. If you have two slots, this old m/b
>> can only handle two 256MB sticks (or less).
>>
>> It looks like you can add a 256MB module. Stick one in there and find
>> out. If your machine doesn't like it, it will beep at you.
>>
>> Malke
>
> Or not make a sound and freeze.
>
> Alias
------------

I just nor sure how to make a right choice: since old memory is very
expensive, so I need know what to buy exactly, i.e. should I add 256MB to my
existing 128MB.

Luminore

This is what Crucial suggest for your system..

256mb SDRAM, PC133 CL=3 Non-parity.. this is the largest memory module that
can be placed in any of your memory slots..your ChainTech motherboard has
three slots, and has a total capacity of 768mb..

128 + 128 = 256.. 128 + 256 = 384.. 128 + 128 +256 = 512.. 128 + 256 + 256 =
640..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

> Luminore
>
> This is what Crucial suggest for your system..
>
> 256mb SDRAM, PC133 CL=3 Non-parity.. this is the largest memory module
> that can be placed in any of your memory slots..your ChainTech motherboard
> has three slots, and has a total capacity of 768mb..
>
> 128 + 128 = 256.. 128 + 256 = 384.. 128 + 128 +256 = 512.. 128 + 256 + 256
> = 640..
>

> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>

> "luminore" <luminor@luminor.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message

>>> Or not make a sound and freeze.
>>>
>>> Alias
>>
>> I just nor sure how to make a right choice: since old memory is very
>> expensive, so I need know what to buy exactly, i.e. should I add 256MB to
>> my existing 128MB.

Thank you.