Heat

Built two computers using Athlon 3200+ 400FSB, Same gigabyte MB 7VT600 1394,
same case, PC3200/400 memory, Win XP sp2. One has a thermaltake CPU fan
(huge), the other has a stock AMD CPU fan. The one with the the stock fan
has a fan in the back, and one in the stock PS. The other has 2 in the PS, 1
in back and 1 in front.
The CPU with the AMD runs at 37 C The thermaltake runs at 49 C ?????? Is
there a difference between the pad on the stock fan and the grease on the
Thermaltake? I'm talking at idle. Got the temps using sisoftware & bios.

Rudy

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Rudy Kube typed this:
> Built two computers using Athlon 3200+ 400FSB, Same gigabyte MB 7VT600 1394,
> same case, PC3200/400 memory, Win XP sp2. One has a thermaltake CPU fan
> (huge), the other has a stock AMD CPU fan. The one with the the stock fan
> has a fan in the back, and one in the stock PS. The other has 2 in the PS, 1
> in back and 1 in front.
> The CPU with the AMD runs at 37 C The thermaltake runs at 49 C ?????? Is
> there a difference between the pad on the stock fan and the grease on the
> Thermaltake? I'm talking at idle. Got the temps using sisoftware & bios.
>
> Rudy

Just read that the 'themaltake' could easily be put on incorrectly and
have some 'space' (small, but there) between the cpu and the sink...
Not sure which Thermaltake, but the larger XP-120 can bump caps and
be offset... just a thought.

--
Rich "Doc" Colley

mailto: pc-dc-doc@nospam.comcast.net

Thanks for the responce & suggestions. The thermaltake was put on by a local
computer service because I screwed up something else. (too embarassing to
mention). They told me my CPU was running way hot. They installed the
volcano 12 along with a small fan for my chipset. I turned everything off
and gently rotated (not too far) the heat sink and it seems to be solid, but
I don't know what was put under it. It's running at 49 C. The other computer
with the stock AMD fan is running at 39 to 41 C. Is the pad material better
than the grease? That's what's on the AMD fan.
Rudy

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 21:05:20 -0500, Rudy Kube wrote:

> Thanks for the responce & suggestions. The thermaltake was put on by a local
> computer service because I screwed up something else. (too embarassing to
> mention). They told me my CPU was running way hot. They installed the
> volcano 12 along with a small fan for my chipset. I turned everything off
> and gently rotated (not too far) the heat sink and it seems to be solid, but
> I don't know what was put under it. It's running at 49 C. The other computer
> with the stock AMD fan is running at 39 to 41 C. Is the pad material better
> than the grease? That's what's on the AMD fan.
> Rudy

No, the pad is no better than the grease, usually not as good. I still say
it's not properly installed.