BSOD while overclocking

I've gotten a bunch of Blue Screens while pushing my Barton 2500+ Mobile,
and I'm curious what I might be able to do. Examples of clocks that give
crashes:
210x11
206x11 (usually fine, until I play FarCry)
200x11.5
This was done with the vcore at 1.6 or 1.65v, still crashing.

Seems the 2300 barrier looms large. Right now it's perfectly stable at
195x11.5

Current Relevant info: Corsair Value Select 3200 ram, 8,3,3,2.5, stock
voltage
Running cpu at 1.55v
CPU is cool enough, about 46 C, with a Speeze FalconRock cooler
Nvidia 5900Ultra videocard, not overclocked.
Shuttle AN36N-Ultra mobo

The bsod's occur at random times, but always within 5 minutes of rebooting,
and various driver errors are reported, like usb.sys, or a video driver for
example. Not the same thing every time.

So, I'm wondering if simply upping the voltage a bit more would do it, or
have I really reached the limits of this cpu with the given setup?

Thanks for ideas.

--

Matt

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Try a vcore of 1.7V-1.75V, try memory timings of 2.5-3-3-11, try 10.5x220.
hope this helps.

"Matty Anderson" <mattya25@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've gotten a bunch of Blue Screens while pushing my Barton 2500+ Mobile,
> and I'm curious what I might be able to do. Examples of clocks that give
> crashes:
> 210x11
> 206x11 (usually fine, until I play FarCry)
> 200x11.5
> This was done with the vcore at 1.6 or 1.65v, still crashing.
>
> Seems the 2300 barrier looms large. Right now it's perfectly stable at
> 195x11.5
>
> Current Relevant info: Corsair Value Select 3200 ram, 8,3,3,2.5, stock
> voltage
> Running cpu at 1.55v
> CPU is cool enough, about 46 C, with a Speeze FalconRock cooler
> Nvidia 5900Ultra videocard, not overclocked.
> Shuttle AN36N-Ultra mobo
>
> The bsod's occur at random times, but always within 5 minutes of
rebooting,
> and various driver errors are reported, like usb.sys, or a video driver
for
> example. Not the same thing every time.
>
> So, I'm wondering if simply upping the voltage a bit more would do it, or
> have I really reached the limits of this cpu with the given setup?
>
> Thanks for ideas.
>
> --
>
> Matt

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

I would try upping the voltage incrementally until you get no errors with
the usual stability bechmarks.....prime 95, etc.

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"Matty Anderson" <mattya25@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've gotten a bunch of Blue Screens while pushing my Barton 2500+ Mobile,
> and I'm curious what I might be able to do. Examples of clocks that give
> crashes:
> 210x11
> 206x11 (usually fine, until I play FarCry)
> 200x11.5
> This was done with the vcore at 1.6 or 1.65v, still crashing.
>
> Seems the 2300 barrier looms large. Right now it's perfectly stable at
> 195x11.5
>
> Current Relevant info: Corsair Value Select 3200 ram, 8,3,3,2.5, stock
> voltage
> Running cpu at 1.55v
> CPU is cool enough, about 46 C, with a Speeze FalconRock cooler
> Nvidia 5900Ultra videocard, not overclocked.
> Shuttle AN36N-Ultra mobo
>
> The bsod's occur at random times, but always within 5 minutes of
> rebooting,
> and various driver errors are reported, like usb.sys, or a video driver
> for
> example. Not the same thing every time.
>
> So, I'm wondering if simply upping the voltage a bit more would do it, or
> have I really reached the limits of this cpu with the given setup?
>
> Thanks for ideas.

I'd be surprised if you can't get at least 2400MHz out of your CPU. I have
owned 4 or 5 2500+ mobiles now (all different steppings & weeks) and they
would all do 2400MHz or more.

But you will need more volts. 1.7v or 1.75v - as frank says - would be a
starting point. But keep an eye on temperatures! They will be
significantly higher with the raised voltage. Don't be afraid to push the
voltage up to 1.8v or 1.85v, as long as your load temps don't exceed
mid-50's. But for 2400MHz, I'd be surprised if you needed more than 1.75v.

Just one other thing. For some reason I found that my CPU's all preferred a
12x multiplier. With my current CPU for example, I can't get above 2500MHz
with 11x or 11.5x But 12x gets me to 2520MHz, Prime95 stable.

Chip

TRENDING THREADS