Hi,
I have an onboard AGP graphics card. I would like to set up my
computer for a dual monitor.

I would like to know if its possible to use a combination of the
onboard graphics card along with an additional (new) PCI card which has
dual monitor support.

>From what I have read through news groups - it seems like if you add
the PCI card, the onboard graphics card gets disabled. I would like to
verify this statement - because this means that I have to go in
either for a dual head card or replace by motherboard, along with two
graphics cards - both of which are costly.

Thanks to any one who has ideas.
Regards,
Rio

Thanks Sharon for responding to this.

Hardware: -
My motherboard is from Elitegroup ECS K7S7AG. Its north and south
bridges are SIS 746 + 963.
GPU: SIS Xabre 200 AGP 8X 256-bit GPU, 200 MHz - I think it's the
graphic card. It says that it has 64MB memory on-board.

This chip is not mentioned on the windows website
(http://support.microsoft.com/d efault.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;3073 97) -
however a search on the net says that this chip does support dual
monitors.

BIOS:
In the BIOS I have the option of "Primary VGA" - with the
options of AGP or PCI. I have to set this to PCI - whether I have a
card or not - because without it the computer just hangs and I have
to reset the BIOS.

I did take a look at the database -only a SIS Xabre 400 was listed
- so I think that a SIS Xabre 200 also would work.

So does this give you more information to better answer my question? I
can just go out and buy a new PCI card - but I want to know for sure
if it would work. If this new card disables the onboard graphics card
- then I am in a fix and would have to buy another card or a dual
card - both of which would be costly.

Thanks for taking your time.
Regards,
Rio

On 5 Sep 2005 16:58:01 -0700, carmaski@yahoo.com wrote:

> Hi,
> I have an onboard AGP graphics card. I would like to set up my
> computer for a dual monitor.
>
> I would like to know if its possible to use a combination of the
> onboard graphics card along with an additional (new) PCI card which has
> dual monitor support.
>
>>From what I have read through news groups - it seems like if you add
> the PCI card, the onboard graphics card gets disabled. I would like to
> verify this statement - because this means that I have to go in
> either for a dual head card or replace by motherboard, along with two
> graphics cards - both of which are costly.
>
> Thanks to any one who has ideas.
> Regards,
> Rio

It really depends on your system and what options it has in BIOS. Some
boards will disable onboard graphics automatically when a display card is
added. Some have an enable/disable switch in BIOS settings.

Even if you are able to leave the onboard graphics enabled, you will then
need to find a card that will work alongside of it. Depending on what that
onboard video chip is, finding a second board that is compatible with it
may not be possible.

Some references for you:
List of Supported Display Adapters for Multiple Monitors and Dualview in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307397

http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon

The site above has a user database listing combinations that users have
managed to run with multiple monitors; each combination has the operating
system involved noted as well. They also have a very active user's forum
where you can get advice on multiple monitor setups.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

On 5 Sep 2005 18:27:24 -0700, carmaski@yahoo.com wrote:

> Thanks Sharon for responding to this.
>
> Hardware: -
> My motherboard is from Elitegroup ECS K7S7AG. Its north and south
> bridges are SIS 746 + 963.
> GPU: SIS Xabre 200 AGP 8X 256-bit GPU, 200 MHz - I think it's the
> graphic card. It says that it has 64MB memory on-board.
>
> This chip is not mentioned on the windows website
> (http://support.microsoft.com/d efault.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;3073 97) -
> however a search on the net says that this chip does support dual
> monitors.
>
> BIOS:
> In the BIOS I have the option of "Primary VGA" - with the
> options of AGP or PCI. I have to set this to PCI - whether I have a
> card or not - because without it the computer just hangs and I have
> to reset the BIOS.
>
> I did take a look at the database -only a SIS Xabre 400 was listed
> - so I think that a SIS Xabre 200 also would work.
>
> So does this give you more information to better answer my question? I
> can just go out and buy a new PCI card - but I want to know for sure
> if it would work. If this new card disables the onboard graphics card
> - then I am in a fix and would have to buy another card or a dual
> card - both of which would be costly.
>
> Thanks for taking your time.

Sometimes BIOS settings are a part of a particular version of a BIOS but
are not totally supported on the actual board. The system board manual or
system manual will have details on what is present and what's supported.

You say that you've read your adapter is supposed to support a second
monitor. Is there a second port already? If no, then an additional card
will be needed. Also, the onboard chip is probably already AGP so if you
were going to add a second card it would be PCI.

As far as setting AGP first or PCI first, that depends on your final
hardware configuration.

I once had an HP with an onboard AGP chip. I added a Radeon VE (dual head)
PCI card. Adding the card, automatically disabled the onboard chip as noted
in the owner's manual and confirmed in the HP forums that were available
back then. With this configuration (AGP disabled), I still needed to switch
BIOS settings to start PCI first. Not really logical but a quirk of that
particular motherboard. When the first startup did not send a video signal
to the monitor, it didn't take long to figure out what needed to be
changed.

I wish I could give you a more concrete answer about what *you* need with
*your* system but I'm not familiar with that chipset, board or system. When
making the switch on my system, I did search the database at the
realtimesoft.com site that I mentioned before. And I spent some time
reading in their forums. They're a knowledgeable group and were very
willing to help out.

There is a program for sale at that site for customizing a multiple monitor
setup but its use is not a prerequisite of using their forums or for using
a dual monitor setup. It is a nice "extra" though so after you have
hardware setup, you may want to check it out.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Dear Sharon,
Thanks for your reply. My adapter does not have a second port. What I
meant in my previous post was that it supports dual monitors i.e. it
can be used in combination with another card.

My only fear in just going off and buying a PCI card is that - it
would automatically disable the onboard AGP - and I would have to spend
a lot more buying another PCI. That's why I would like to clarify this
from the start.

Thanks a lot for your help and advise.
Regards,
Rio

Rio,
Check the mobo manual and the manual for the AGP card you
have now. Installing an AGP card will often auto-deselect
on-board video, but installing a PCI video card probably
won't do so. But some cards and drivers don't play well
with others.

There should be a list of compatible cards [maybe from the
same mfg'r] and you should be sure that the cards are on
that list.

some support

<carmaski@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| Dear Sharon,
| Thanks for your reply. My adapter does not have a second
port. What I
| meant in my previous post was that it supports dual
monitors i.e. it
| can be used in combination with another card.
|
| My only fear in just going off and buying a PCI card is
that - it
| would automatically disable the onboard AGP - and I would
have to spend
| a lot more buying another PCI. That's why I would like to
clarify this
| from the start.
|
| Thanks a lot for your help and advise.
| Regards,
| Rio

Dear Jim,
Thanks for replying and sorry for the late reply.

I would like to clarify that my AGP is integrated onboard - so I
don't have anything separate. My motherboard manual does not seem to
make a mention of this though.

>From the encouragement of Sharon - to post this query to places that
would specifically know about my motherboard, I posted the query in the
link that I mentioned in my previous post. The replies to this query
- were from people with knowledge of my motherboard and they agree
that inserting a PCI card would disable the onboard VGA - so I need
to get a dual head here.
Thank you all for responding.
Regards,
Rio