DWL-G650 operation with (and without) WPA2

I'm planning an installation using D-Link DWL-G650 PC card interfaces on
laptops and a suitable D-Link router with similar capabilities.
I'm planning to use WPA2 on the primary LAN for wireless security.

Does anyone know what happens if a user takes the laptop to another, less
secure site?
That is, is it convenient to turn off the encryption?
I'm assuming it won't work with the encryption turned on, on the laptop,
while at some vanilla wireless LAN.

Thanks,

Fred

In Windows, you can configure each SSID (each network) with different
encryption settings.

As long as the other networks have a different SSID, you should be fine.

If you don't use Windows to configure your settings, any other configuration
would be dependent on the software that came with the card.

--
Standard Disclaimers -
and confers no rights. Please do not send e-mail directly

"Fred Marshall" <fmarshallx@remove_the_x.acm.org> wrote in message
> I'm planning an installation using D-Link DWL-G650 PC card interfaces on
> laptops and a suitable D-Link router with similar capabilities.
> I'm planning to use WPA2 on the primary LAN for wireless security.
>
> Does anyone know what happens if a user takes the laptop to another, less
> secure site?
> That is, is it convenient to turn off the encryption?
> I'm assuming it won't work with the encryption turned on, on the laptop,
> while at some vanilla wireless LAN.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Fred

I would be interested to know if you have found WPA2 capable drivers for the
G650.

Mike Bernstein

"Fred Marshall" <fmarshallx@remove_the_x.acm.org> wrote in message
> I'm planning an installation using D-Link DWL-G650 PC card interfaces on
> laptops and a suitable D-Link router with similar capabilities.
> I'm planning to use WPA2 on the primary LAN for wireless security.
>
> Does anyone know what happens if a user takes the laptop to another, less
> secure site?
> That is, is it convenient to turn off the encryption?
> I'm assuming it won't work with the encryption turned on, on the laptop,
> while at some vanilla wireless LAN.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Fred

Mike,

Not yet. I'm in the middle of that right now. It may be that the G650 was
the wrong choice. In researching the D-Link website I don't see that the
G650 supports it. I may need a different model like the DWL-G680.

Carl,

OK - that makes sense. Thanks!

Fred

"Mike Bernstein" <bernstein@REMOVECAPSbacsnet.org> wrote in message
>I would be interested to know if you have found WPA2 capable drivers for
>the
> G650.
>
> Mike Bernstein
>
> "Fred Marshall" <fmarshallx@remove_the_x.acm.org> wrote in message
>> I'm planning an installation using D-Link DWL-G650 PC card interfaces on
>> laptops and a suitable D-Link router with similar capabilities.
>> I'm planning to use WPA2 on the primary LAN for wireless security.
>>
>> Does anyone know what happens if a user takes the laptop to another, less
>> secure site?
>> That is, is it convenient to turn off the encryption?
>> I'm assuming it won't work with the encryption turned on, on the laptop,
>> while at some vanilla wireless LAN.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Fred

By the way, there is a new Cable Guy article on WPA2.

The download isn't live yet though.

Note: you must have WPA2-capable drivers to use WPA2!!!

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0505.mspx

--

> Mike,
>
> Not yet. I'm in the middle of that right now. It may be that the G650
> was the wrong choice. In researching the D-Link website I don't see that
> the G650 supports it. I may need a different model like the DWL-G680.
>
> Carl,
>
> OK - that makes sense. Thanks!
>
> Fred
>
> "Mike Bernstein" <bernstein@REMOVECAPSbacsnet.org> wrote in message
>>I would be interested to know if you have found WPA2 capable drivers for
>>the
>> G650.
>>
>> Mike Bernstein
>>
>> "Fred Marshall" <fmarshallx@remove_the_x.acm.org> wrote in message
>>> I'm planning an installation using D-Link DWL-G650 PC card interfaces on
>>> laptops and a suitable D-Link router with similar capabilities.
>>> I'm planning to use WPA2 on the primary LAN for wireless security.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know what happens if a user takes the laptop to another,
>>> less
>>> secure site?
>>> That is, is it convenient to turn off the encryption?
>>> I'm assuming it won't work with the encryption turned on, on the laptop,
>>> while at some vanilla wireless LAN.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Fred

According to the WiFi Alliance list, the D-Link G650 is WPA2 certified. I
guess it is just updated drivers we need.

http://www.weca.net/OpenSection/Certified_Products.asp?TID=2

"Fred Marshall" <fmarshallx@remove_the_x.acm.org> wrote in message
> Mike,
>
> Not yet. I'm in the middle of that right now. It may be that the G650
> was the wrong choice. In researching the D-Link website I don't see that
> the G650 supports it. I may need a different model like the DWL-G680.
>
> Carl,
>
> OK - that makes sense. Thanks!
>
> Fred
>
> "Mike Bernstein" <bernstein@REMOVECAPSbacsnet.org> wrote in message
>>I would be interested to know if you have found WPA2 capable drivers for
>>the
>> G650.
>>
>> Mike Bernstein
>>
>> "Fred Marshall" <fmarshallx@remove_the_x.acm.org> wrote in message
>>> I'm planning an installation using D-Link DWL-G650 PC card interfaces on
>>> laptops and a suitable D-Link router with similar capabilities.
>>> I'm planning to use WPA2 on the primary LAN for wireless security.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know what happens if a user takes the laptop to another,
>>> less
>>> secure site?
>>> That is, is it convenient to turn off the encryption?
>>> I'm assuming it won't work with the encryption turned on, on the laptop,
>>> while at some vanilla wireless LAN.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Fred

I now understand the driver will be available in a month's time. I'm not
planning on it necessarily.