new fan for TT9

I changed the PSU on my computer and its a lot quieter but the sound of my
TT volcano9 is very loud. the temp has crept up from 43C last year to
around 51C to 52C on idle and god knows under load.
has anyone upgraded the fan on one of these for I've seen adaptors to allow
a 120mm fan to be attached to an 80mm mount. the 120mm fan would spin
slower and quieter but would it cool the same for my 80mm fan is currently
running at 4800rpm just to keep this temp stable.

Rob

Expert

Thermaltake makes a three blade fan that comes with a controller, the same
one that's on the volcano12. They also make a UFO 92mm that comes with a
controller and a adaptor. Both fans are a little quieter than the one on TT
volcano9 but not much. I have though about the 120mm adaptor but for the
cost of a good 120mm fan and the adaptor, I might as well buy a thermalright
900A and put my vantec tornado 92mm fan on it with a rheostat.

I don't know if you have done this, but a good lap job on the heat sink
might help. You might try increasing the air flow through the case by
cutting out the hole punched grills in the case. I use a thermaltake silent
boost with a 80mm tornado fan with a rheostat controller. I can make it
very quite but it runs hot when I do that (2800 rpm). I currently have the
fan at 4400 rpm, which gives me the maximum cooling at the lowest sound
level. At 4400 rpm it is still loud.

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 21:36:00 +0000, rjag wrote:

> I changed the PSU on my computer and its a lot quieter but the sound of my
> TT volcano9 is very loud. the temp has crept up from 43C last year to
> around 51C to 52C on idle and god knows under load.

Might want to take it off and clean it and apply new grease. Sounds like
either dust has clogged it or maybe something wrong with the thermal
paste, or both.

Hiya,

I ran a TT9 on a T-bird 1.4 (lotsa heat generated.) and began to notice
similar symptoms with the heat creeping up from time to time. Playing with
larger fans, fans with more cfm didn't seem to help. I chose to fault the
spring retention clip and contacted Thermaltake about getting a new one. It
took a few emails and about two weeks later I received two in the mail.
They upgraded the original clip to a newer design that takes advantage of
clipping on to all three lugs on the socket. It solved the climbing heat
issue quite nicely. In the interim, however, I chose the to upgrade to a
Thermalright cooler, more efficient, much quieter. Contact TT, get a new
clip or two!!

Best of luck,

Garry.

"rjag" <robin@gordon3433.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>I changed the PSU on my computer and its a lot quieter but the sound of my
>TT volcano9 is very loud. the temp has crept up from 43C last year to
>around 51C to 52C on idle and god knows under load.
> has anyone upgraded the fan on one of these for I've seen adaptors to
> allow a 120mm fan to be attached to an 80mm mount. the 120mm fan would
> spin slower and quieter but would it cool the same for my 80mm fan is
> currently running at 4800rpm just to keep this temp stable.
>
> Rob

"rjag" <robin@gordon3433.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>I changed the PSU on my computer and its a lot quieter but the sound of my
>TT volcano9 is very loud. the temp has crept up from 43C last year to
>around 51C to 52C on idle and god knows under load.
> has anyone upgraded the fan on one of these for I've seen adaptors to
> allow a 120mm fan to be attached to an 80mm mount. the 120mm fan would
> spin slower and quieter but would it cool the same for my 80mm fan is
> currently running at 4800rpm just to keep this temp stable.

I would agree with Wes...
If the temp has slowly creaped up then the system must have slowly become
clogged with dust and rubbish. How is your case temperature - maybe all the
'breath' holes in the case are also clogged? Open it up, give everything a
good clean and then put it back together again. If the case temperature is
much higher than room temperature, then a case fan will do more good than a
bigger CPU fan - you can't cool a hot processor with hot air!!

the case is a 6 bay large chieftec tower case. the system temp is constantly
33C and I already have 5 80mm case fans and an Antec 380 PSU (a lot quieter
than the old PSU). the volcano 9 is the silent one which I can adjust
manually from 2800 up to 5200rpm and already has the clips which are the 3
pin type so that's that idea out the window. I used the paste that came
with the cooler hoping that this was better than other heatsink compounds
out there.
getting at the CPU on my computer seems to be a bit of a chore but I've
thought of the lapping or re-application of heatsink compound but I cant
seem to get peace to do it as this is a family computer and seems to be
constantly in use.
I'd thought about a simple water-cooling kit but they're very expensive even
for budget kits.

Rjag

Expert

I believe that the paste that came with the volcano 9 is the problem. I had
a similar problem on one of my computers, thinking it was the heat sink. I
lapped the heat sink and reapplied the paste and the problem started all
over again. I thought that I might have something stuck between the heat
sink and cpu so I cleaned off the cpu and the heat sink and reapplied the
same paste. This time the heat problem arrived sooner. Switched to artic
ceramic paste and the problem went away. I think the paste was chemically
the wrong mixture and when thing started to heat up gas pockets formed under
the heat sink due to a chemical reaction. Only a theory I don't have the
equipment to do the lab test. Every time I pulled the heat sink the white
thermal paste that came with the heat sink looked powdery and felt chalky.

> the case is a 6 bay large chieftec tower case. the system temp is
> constantly 33C and I already have 5 80mm case fans and an Antec 380 PSU (a
> lot quieter than the old PSU). the volcano 9 is the silent one which I
> can adjust manually from 2800 up to 5200rpm and already has the clips
> which are the 3 pin type so that's that idea out the window. I used the
> paste that came with the cooler hoping that this was better than other
> heatsink compounds out there.
> getting at the CPU on my computer seems to be a bit of a chore but I've
> thought of the lapping or re-application of heatsink compound but I cant
> seem to get peace to do it as this is a family computer and seems to be
> constantly in use.
> I'd thought about a simple water-cooling kit but they're very expensive
> even for budget kits.
>
> Rjag

recommendations for something to remove the old compound. cleaning alcohol
that's available in the UK

Rob

"rjag" <robin@gordon3433.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> the case is a 6 bay large chieftec tower case. the system temp is
> constantly 33C and I already have 5 80mm case fans and an Antec 380 PSU (a
> lot quieter than the old PSU). the volcano 9 is the silent one which I
> can adjust manually from 2800 up to 5200rpm and already has the clips
> which are the 3 pin type so that's that idea out the window. I used the
> paste that came with the cooler hoping that this was better than other
> heatsink compounds out there.
> getting at the CPU on my computer seems to be a bit of a chore but I've
> thought of the lapping or re-application of heatsink compound but I cant
> seem to get peace to do it as this is a family computer and seems to be
> constantly in use.
> I'd thought about a simple water-cooling kit but they're very expensive
> even for budget kits.

Don't forget, the heatsink you have now used to cool the PC just fine, so
surely removing the existing one, cleaning it (remove dust in the fins and
clean the contact area) and re-installing it is easier, less time-consuming
and cheaper than buying, leak testing, then installing a water cooling
system? Also, I have read in a few groups that you get what you pay for with
water cooling - the cheaper ones are no better than standard air cooling!

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:23:46 +0000, rjag wrote:

> recommendations for something to remove the old compound. cleaning alcohol
> that's available in the UK

If it's standard thermal compound, just use a paper towel, shirt tail, old
rag, etc. If it's stuck, just scrape it off with whatever, brillo pad,
razor, etc.

Expert

If the old paste or pad is stuck heat sink or cpu use acetone. Just don't
pure it on the cpu and use a damp coffee filter for a wipe rag its lint
free. The acetone will prevent scraping and scratching the surface of the
heat sink or cpu core. Acetone can be found a your local hardware store
used as a paint thinner and is usually 99% pure acetone so you don't have to
worry about leaving a oily film on the surface of the cpu.

> recommendations for something to remove the old compound. cleaning alcohol
> that's available in the UK
>
> Rob

I took the heatsink and fan off and then removed the compound and replaced
it with some artic silver and after 1/2 hour of swearing and struggling I
finally squeezed the heatsink back on. within a few minutes the temp had
dropped to 42C, happy days are here again. up went the FSB to 205 and the
temp climbed to 43C. WOW.

Robin