switching out motherboard and cpu question

Im going to be switching out an ecs mobo and amd cpu for an abit nf7-s and
mobile cpu. Am I going to have to uninstall any of the drivers ? The mobo i
currently have has onboard sound and lan. So would I have to uninstall the
drivers ? Also, the video card ? Im going use the same harddrive to. I dont
want to have to format it. So is there anything else I should know ?

TIA

"lonesw0rdsman" <neo@fx.com> wrote in message

" So is there anything else I should know ? "

Are you using XP? Do you have an XP disk? You can just do a
repair-installation.

Yeah. I have xp home edition. How do I do the repair installation ? Thanks
for the help.
"Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote in message
> "lonesw0rdsman" <neo@fx.com> wrote in message
>
> " So is there anything else I should know ? "
>

> Are you using XP? Do you have an XP disk? You can just do a
> repair-installation.

minotaur

lonesw0rdsman wrote:
> Im going to be switching out an ecs mobo and amd cpu for an abit nf7-s and
> mobile cpu. Am I going to have to uninstall any of the drivers ? The mobo i
> currently have has onboard sound and lan. So would I have to uninstall the
> drivers ? Also, the video card ? Im going use the same harddrive to. I dont
> want to have to format it. So is there anything else I should know ?
>
> TIA

Easiest way, find Driver Cleaner 3 or something similar and un-install
ALL devices from within Safemode. Turn off the PC, swap the hardware
over, boot-up into XP it should then find all the new devices, if not
install them yourself. Your going to have to basicaly make sure you
connect up your Harddisks exactly the same way as they are now, so XP
can boot-up. If all fails, do as someone else suggested boot from the XP
CD and do a repair install. But only select the System Boot repair
option (manualy) and cross your fingers it finds the OS. However that
shouldn't be needed if the HD's are installed exactly the same as they
where before, on the correct IDE/SATA channels, as I said.

Certainly faster than going with the, re-install XP reply ;)

Cheer's Minotaur

I decided that im going to just get a new harddrive since theres a good deal
at c.c. . The hdd i have now is way to small anyway. But I was wondering if
I could still use the older drive ? Like make it a slave drive ? And I'd
still have to remove the drivers right ? Thing is im trying to keep all my
stuff that I currently have on there. I guess I could just back it up on
cd's and then reinstall. Any more suggestions. And thanks for the help guys.

>I decided that im going to just get a new harddrive since theres a good
>deal at c.c. . The hdd i have now is way to small anyway. But I was
>wondering if I could still use the older drive ? Like make it a slave
>drive ? And I'd still have to remove the drivers right ? Thing is im trying
>to keep all my stuff that I currently have on there. I guess I could just
>back it up on cd's and then reinstall. Any more suggestions. And thanks for
>the help guys.
> "Minotaur" <antnel@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> lonesw0rdsman wrote:

If you are getting a new hard drive, then forget about all the drivers on
the old drive - just make the new drive the master drive in your new system
and install a fresh windows onto it. Make the old drive a slave and leave it
alone until you are happy with everything on the new master drive. That way,
you can still recover any data or files from the second drive should you
need. Windows will be able to format the second drive for you in a few
moments once you are ready - there is no need to remove drivers etc, as the
second drive will have none of the new system on it - windows won't get
confused between the 2 drives.

Just the news I wanted to hear. Thanks!

"Gareth Tuckwell" <ContactGT@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "lonesw0rdsman" <neo@fx.com> wrote in message
>>I decided that im going to just get a new harddrive since theres a good
>>deal at c.c. . The hdd i have now is way to small anyway. But I was
>>wondering if I could still use the older drive ? Like make it a slave
>>drive ? And I'd still have to remove the drivers right ? Thing is im
>>trying to keep all my stuff that I currently have on there. I guess I
>>could just back it up on cd's and then reinstall. Any more suggestions.
>>And thanks for the help guys.
>> "Minotaur" <antnel@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> lonesw0rdsman wrote:
>
> If you are getting a new hard drive, then forget about all the drivers on
> the old drive - just make the new drive the master drive in your new
> system and install a fresh windows onto it. Make the old drive a slave and
> leave it alone until you are happy with everything on the new master
> drive. That way, you can still recover any data or files from the second
> drive should you need. Windows will be able to format the second drive for
> you in a few moments once you are ready - there is no need to remove
> drivers etc, as the second drive will have none of the new system on it -
> windows won't get confused between the 2 drives.

You can also get programs to create a clone of your current drive in your
old system. Then switch over to the new setup. That is what I did reloading
everything was not appealing and the cloning process took about 20 minutes.
Programs such as Norton ghost will do it. Maxtor used to have a program they
included with their hardrives that would do it also.