Can't boot without both hard drives connected

Tags:
  • Boot
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
September 6, 2005 2:04:10 PM

Here's the boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut

Now that I think about it I don't think it's a dos promt I'm getting it
just looks like it. It looks like this: black screen and the just a
blinking cursor up in the left coner nothing else meaning no "c:\" etc.
just the cursor and I can't write anything on the screen so maybe it's
more like the process just gets stuck.

--
vikingdude

More about : boot hard drives connected

Anonymous
September 6, 2005 2:04:11 PM

"vikingdude" wrote:

> Here's the boot.ini
>

> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut
>

> Now that I think about it I don't think it's a dos promt I'm getting it
> just looks like it. It looks like this: black screen and the just a
> blinking cursor up in the left coner nothing else meaning no "c:\" etc.
> just the cursor and I can't write anything on the screen so maybe it's
> more like the process just gets stuck.

The boot.ini looks OK. I wonder why you have a timeout value of
30, though. Does the menu appear on the screen for a while, or
or does is just flash on and then immediately go to the default entry?
Have you tried setting the timeout to 0?

*TimDaniels*
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 6:21:09 PM

"vikingdude" <vikingdude.1uxyve@news.xpbanter.com> wrote in message

> Here's the boot.ini
>

> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut
>

> Now that I think about it I don't think it's a dos promt I'm getting it
> just looks like it. It looks like this: black screen and the just a
> blinking cursor up in the left coner nothing else meaning no "c:\" etc.
> just the cursor and I can't write anything on the screen so maybe it's
> more like the process just gets stuck.
>

> --
> vikingdude

YMMV

You are indicating that you have the second drive disconnected.
How?

That is what happened to me when I lost power to one drive due to a bad
power connection.

The ribbon cable was connected and the HD power connection failed so the
BIOS was waiting for the drive to spin up.
No power = no spin up = stall.

As I said. YMMV
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 6:21:10 PM

"TryingToHelp" wrote:
> You are indicating that you have the second drive disconnected.
> How?
>
> That is what happened to me when I lost power to one drive due
> to a bad power connection.
>
> The ribbon cable was connected and the HD power connection
> failed so the BIOS was waiting for the drive to spin up.
> No power = no spin up = stall.

<LOL!> I bet that's it - no power. If you connect the
new HD's power cable to the old HD, will the old HD
boot up?

*TimDaniels*
!