xp 2000 overclocking problems

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
November 14, 2004 4:11:30 AM

Hi, I have an xp 2000+ and an asus a7v400-mx mb equipped with 512mb
pc2100 ram.

My problem is, when I set my fsb to 166 (via dip switch on mb) my
computer runs for aout 40 mins, then bsod. Tried it only once, and
didn't write doen the error, but it was something along the lines of
pci_irql or something like that.
It's not temp problems as the cpu stays at 50c and the mb at 28c.
I can't change the multi, as I have a newer xp which is internally
locked, and the only fsb options I have are 100,133,166,200.
Could it be the ram operating at 266mhz that's causing the errors? The
system does post at 166 fsb (2083mhz) and boots into winxp no problems.
The bsod happens under load or idle. If it's the ram, would pc2700 or
pc3200 fix this?

Thanks in advance!
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
November 14, 2004 2:23:40 PM

"Browser Joe" <i.dont@think.so> wrote in message
> Hi, I have an xp 2000+ and an asus a7v400-mx mb equipped with 512mb pc2100
> ram.
>
> My problem is, when I set my fsb to 166 (via dip switch on mb) my computer
> runs for aout 40 mins, then bsod. Tried it only once, and didn't write
> doen the error, but it was something along the lines of pci_irql or
> something like that.
> It's not temp problems as the cpu stays at 50c and the mb at 28c.
> I can't change the multi, as I have a newer xp which is internally locked,
> and the only fsb options I have are 100,133,166,200.
> Could it be the ram operating at 266mhz that's causing the errors? The
> system does post at 166 fsb (2083mhz) and boots into winxp no problems.
> The bsod happens under load or idle. If it's the ram, would pc2700 or
> pc3200 fix this?
>
> Thanks in advance!

The XP2000+ will run rock solid at 2083MHz with PC2700 ram. Mine did. It
doesn`t even need extra vcore either, but it realistically wont get much
further and remain stable. Even with PC3200 ram. The other option is to find
a FSB/RAM divider setting that allows you to run the ram at 133MHz and your
CPU at 166MHz if your m/b supports it. Otherwise you`ll need some faster ram
which isn`t too expensive at the moment.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
November 15, 2004 12:15:35 AM

Browser Joe wrote:
> Hi, I have an xp 2000+ and an asus a7v400-mx mb equipped with 512mb
> pc2100 ram.
>
> My problem is, when I set my fsb to 166 (via dip switch on mb) my
> computer runs for aout 40 mins, then bsod. Tried it only once, and
> didn't write doen the error, but it was something along the lines of
> pci_irql or something like that.
> It's not temp problems as the cpu stays at 50c and the mb at 28c.

Absolute temperature readings are pretty much meaningless. A "50 deg C" CPU
temperature means that the actual CPU temperature is probably somewhere in
the range of 30 deg C to 70 deg C, and possibly even outside this range if
you're unlucky. The only use of them is to see if changing something (like
using a different fan) increases or decreases the temperature.

> I can't change the multi, as I have a newer xp which is internally
> locked,

Actually, in your case you can make the multiplier adjustable through
PowerNow (since you have a non-NF1/NF2 chipset). For your board, you just
need to fill in the two middle L5 bridges with some conductive goop. This
will enable PowerNow and set the maximum PowerNow multiplier to 24x.
Although you cannot adjust the multiplier in the BIOS, it allows you to
change it using CPUMSR or similar tools.

> and the only fsb options I have are 100,133,166,200.
> Could it be the ram operating at 266mhz that's causing the errors?

That would be my primary guess, yes. I'm surprised PC2100 (133Mhz) RAM even
allowed you to get into Windows at 166MHz, but being run that far above spec
is definately the first suspect when it comes to instability. You are
getting close to the limit of the TBred core (assuming you have a TBred B,
not a Thorton), which is usually around 2.2GHz or so on average if you give
the CPU little or no extra vcore. An easy way to test would be to bump the
vcore up a notch or two and see if that improves stability. If it does, then
you got very lucky with your RAM :)

A couple good tests to run to help narrow down the problem would be
memtest86 (to see if your memory is a problem), prime95 (to see if it's a
CPU problem, only means anything if the system passes memtest86), and 3DMark
especially if you have a power-hungry graphics card (tests the power system
in a slightly different way to Prime95).

> The
> system does post at 166 fsb (2083mhz) and boots into winxp no
> problems. The bsod happens under load or idle. If it's the ram, would
> pc2700 or pc3200 fix this?

Yup. Depending on local pricing, PC3200 might be a better option if it's not
much more expensive, as although your CPU is unlikely to get to 2.5GHz
(12.5x200), it means you have the option to reuse it later.

--
Michael Brown
a b K Overclocking

Thanks for the very informative info! I am going to get some faster ram,
and see if that remedies it. I'm also going to try the powernow mod, and
see what happens there!

!